AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

• Posted: 27 June 2010 10:54 PM

Hello Monday!

[ Edited: 03 July 2010 01:19 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 27 June 2010 11:08 PM #1

And hello, iPhone 4 Thursday-through-Sunday sales number!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 27 June 2010 11:12 PM #2

Meanwhile Gruber linked to this:

http://nanocr.eu/2010/06/27/googles-mismanagement-of-the-android-market/

While the Android Market is available in 46 countries, developers can only offer paid apps in 13 countries (for instance, Canada has only had access to paid apps since March 2010). In addition, the price for foreign apps is not displayed in the user?s local currency and developers do not have the option of customizing pricing by country. To make matters worse, you can?t pay for foreign apps using your Amex card or carrier billing.

The music downloading app ?Tunee? (one of many such apps) is one of the Top Free apps in the Multimedia category with more than 250k downloads. While some would dishonestly try to pretend that such apps are meant for downloading public domain classical music, the developers of Tunee are very clear about their intent. Their screenshot shows copyrighted music by the band Muse (Warner Music Group) being illegally downloaded.

Worth reading for the screen shots that accompany. Theft seems to be the order of the day when you don’t curate your market properly

Signature

Posted: 28 June 2010 12:06 AM #3

rattyuk - 28 June 2010 02:12 AM

Meanwhile Gruber linked to this:

http://nanocr.eu/2010/06/27/googles-mismanagement-of-the-android-market/

While the Android Market is available in 46 countries, developers can only offer paid apps in 13 countries (for instance, Canada has only had access to paid apps since March 2010). In addition, the price for foreign apps is not displayed in the user?s local currency and developers do not have the option of customizing pricing by country. To make matters worse, you can?t pay for foreign apps using your Amex card or carrier billing.

The music downloading app ?Tunee? (one of many such apps) is one of the Top Free apps in the Multimedia category with more than 250k downloads. While some would dishonestly try to pretend that such apps are meant for downloading public domain classical music, the developers of Tunee are very clear about their intent. Their screenshot shows copyrighted music by the band Muse (Warner Music Group) being illegally downloaded.

Worth reading for the screen shots that accompany. Theft seems to be the order of the day when you don’t curate your market properly

I don’t understand why Gruber is so upset.  Messiness means opportunity for innovation and support services.  Microsoft has proven that this is a profitable business strategy that benefits its partners and customers.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 28 June 2010 12:31 AM #4

Messiness is one thing.  Theft of intellectual property is another.  I have 0 tolerance for the RIAA and their tactics nor for the DMCA but I do believe strongly that artists and inventors need to have incentive (get paid) to continue creating.  Knowingly supplying systems whose primary function is theft should be discouraged.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 28 June 2010 12:40 AM #5

Monday

R4         280.97
      midpoint   278.74
    R3       276.51
      midpoint   274.28
    R2       272.05
      midpoint   270.72
    R1       269.38
      midpoint   268.49
    PP       267.59
      midpoint   266.26
    S1       264.92
      midpoint   264.03
    S2       263.13
      midpoint   260.90
    S3       258.67
      midpoint   256.44
    S4       254.21

• Posted: 28 June 2010 09:22 AM #6

I hope Apple get around to suing the Daily Mail. The Register is reporting:

The Daily Mail yesterday reported Apple may recall the iPhone 4. It based the story on ?confirmation? from a Steve Jobs Twitter account clearly marked as a spoof.

While Twitter account ‘ceoSteveJobs’ has over one million followers, reporter Richard Ashmore overlooked a vital piece of information prominently displayed in the account profile: ?Of course this is a parody account.?

The spoof Steve had Tweeted ?We may have to recall the iPhone. This, I did not expect.?

The paper has since removed the article without explanation.

Signature

Posted: 28 June 2010 09:33 AM #7

News on E-Trade showing iPhone sales at 1.7M for the weekend…

Now it shows that is through Saturday the 26th!!!

[ Edited: 28 June 2010 09:37 AM by David Blythe ]

Signature

I really love my iPhone ... Only wish they had made them before my eyes started going to hell in my early 40s.  When I pull my iPhone out of one pocket, I have to pull my reading glasses out of another.

• Posted: 28 June 2010 09:39 AM #8

CUPERTINO, Calif., June 28 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/—Apple? today announced that it has sold over 1.7 million of its iPhone? 4 through Saturday, June 26, just three days after its launch on June 24. The new iPhone 4 features FaceTime?, which makes video calling as easy as one tap, and Apple’s new Retina display, the highest resolution display ever built into a phone, resulting in stunning text, images and video.

“This is the most successful product launch in Apple’s history,” said Steve Jobs, Apple’s CEO. “Even so, we apologize to those customers who were turned away because we did not have enough supply.”

iPhone 4 also features a 5 megapixel camera with LED flash, HD 720p video recording, Apple’s A4 processor, a 3-axis gyro and up to 40 percent longer talk time?in a beautiful all-new design of glass and stainless steel that is the thinnest smartphone in the world.

iPhone 4 comes with iOS 4, the newest version of the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, which features Multitasking, Folders, enhanced Mail, deeper Enterprise support and Apple’s new iAd mobile advertising platform.

Signature

Posted: 28 June 2010 10:17 AM #9

Here’s a funny article at Seeking Alpha.

RIMM vs AAPL

Thesis: because the AAPL/RIMM market cap ratio is higher than the sales or earnings ratio, RIMM is a better buy.

http://seekingalpha.com/article/212085-is-apple-worth-8-4-x-research-in-motion

Of course there’s no mention of growth trajectory, or why the PE of RIMM is 11 vs 22 of AAPL.

I think his disclosure note explains why he wrote this though:
    “Disclosure: Long position in RIMM, No postion in AAPL”

• Posted: 28 June 2010 10:20 AM #10

iPhone 4 bill of materials: $187.51

• Posted: 28 June 2010 10:24 AM #11

Wally - 28 June 2010 12:33 PM

News on E-Trade showing iPhone sales at 1.7M for the weekend…

Now it shows that is through Saturday the 26th!!!

They may have sold more over the full weekend. The quarter ended Saturday. Sunday sales will be reported as part of next quarter.

• Posted: 28 June 2010 10:26 AM #12

Mace

263 is the warning flag right ? Hopefully we bounce off it rolleyes

Posted: 28 June 2010 10:48 AM #13

thealct - 28 June 2010 01:26 PM

Mace

263 is the warning flag right ? Hopefully we bounce off it rolleyes

The problem is with the market.  If S&P can’t hold 1073-4, it would pull AAPL down.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 28 June 2010 11:03 AM #14

So far no “SELL THE NEWS”. This time it was “SELL BEFORE THE EXPECTED NEWS”. I wonder when “BUY BEFORE THE RUMOR” will occur :-D

EDIT - Spoke too soom… Here we go…. :bugeyed:

[ Edited: 28 June 2010 11:09 AM by thealct ]      

Posted: 28 June 2010 11:06 AM #15

Good Morning Boys and Girls

Well I bought on Friday hoping for a big jump today.  That did not happen, so I sold for some nice profits.

I may be out of internet range for four days, so I gave myself some breathing room.

The 1.7 million should have been better, even though we all expected it.  Manufacturing constraints is an issue or Apple shocks itself with the success of its own products.

The next quarter (4th)  will be huge.