Keeping my G5 running
I hope someone can help me.
Computer: iMac G5 1.8 GHz 20 inch all-in-one from 2004 - no ALS, no camera
Problem: It randomly shuts-off with a pop.
What I’ve done:
1. Opened it up and checked LED 1, 2 and 3 - all as they should be
2. Replaced the Power Supply anyway - because that seemed like a logical solution
3. Didn’t solve the problem - in fact it got worse: it got stuck on the gray start-up screen
4. Went to local Apple store and talked to a Genius
5. He plugged-in an external HD and determined that my HD was bad
6. Replaced the HD
7. Worked fine for a day, now it’s popping-off again
I replaced the PS and HD myself, and visually inspected the capacitors. They looked okay to me. I’ve unplugged the Mac and replugged it to reset the SMU. No improvement. Is my logic board the problem?
Yes, it’s quite possible that the logic board is at fault. I worked in a Mac store service department for a couple years while the iMac G5s were still pretty recent, and a tremendous number of them had bad logic boards and power supplies.
Are you sure the replacement power pack is ok? I got a replacement for my similar age iMac when it was still under warranty which was also faulty!