Replacing 2009 iMac 24” Ram

Posted: 06 July 2010 03:48 AM

Yeah I know. It couldn’t be easier. But it’s not. I’ve got 8G sitting, waiting patiently, waiting to be slotted in. Tosh Computers in Tauranga - choice outfit!

I found my static strap, just to be careful. I placed the iMac on a tea-towel on the dining room table, and got out a selection of different size plus and minus screwdrivers. Then I found that the thread of the screw on the RAM cover is cross-threaded or something. Whatever is wrong, it half unscrews then stops.

In desperation: anyone got any great ideas that don’t require my taking it in for repair? Magic incantations? changing the way I hold my mouth? brute force and ignorance?

Bugger.

Signature

Laurie Fleming - the singing geek

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 06 July 2010 11:51 AM #1

I’m pretty sure those screws aren’t supposed to come all the way out. Once you unscrew all of them, try popping the bottom panel out.

Posted: 06 July 2010 06:58 PM #2

I wondered if that were the case. But popping the bottom panel out is not as simple as it ought to be. I tried very gently levering the panel, but it still won’t come.

Tonight I’ll track down my pliers and see if I can get any purchase on the screw (there’s only one, in the middle) and pull.

It seems like such a trivial thing to be incompentent at and although I’m in no wise an engineer, I should be able to do it.

It’s hardware. I don’t do hardware. If it were software, I could write code for it!

Signature

@LaurieFleming

• Posted: 11 July 2010 05:04 PM #3

It does sound like it’s just a stuck screw, because once it’s loosened beyond a certain point the whole panel should just pop out. Personally I would just try tightening and loosening it again a few times and see if it realigns itself. That’s probably all the service provider would be able to do, short of brute-forcing it or grinding off the head of the screw. smile

Posted: 11 July 2010 05:44 PM #4

Cheers, David. That’s what I thought. I’ve had another couple of tries, without success. I’ll try the tightening trick, but I suspect it won’t be successful. The slot on the screw is pretty shallow, so it’s not easy to tighten it either.

Unfortunately I bought it from Harvey Norman (aka Hardly Normal) which is a large Australian chain store. I suspect to get any hardware engineer to look at it (for free) I’ll have to send it out of town. Sigh.

Although it’s technically out of warranty, New Zealand consumer law states that goods have to be of serviceable standard for a reasonable amount of time - computers should be reliable for three-five years. I may have to argue the toss, but I’m a stubborn bastard.

And it’s only a bloody screw! So frustrating…

Later:
    Local Harvey Norman chappie sent me an email, giving me the contact details of their maintenance people. He said that he’s always pleased on the rare occasions that Macs break down, because they’re always easy to fix! He added that if I had any problems with the maintenance people, because of its being out of warranty, to get back to him and he’d sort it out. Good on yer!

[ Edited: 11 July 2010 10:36 PM by Laurie Fleming ]

Signature

@LaurieFleming

Posted: 14 July 2010 02:31 AM #5

Ten minutes ago I got back from Connect NZ, who do the hardware fixes for Harvey Norman locally. I showed my iMac to Paul Quinn who agreed that the screw wouldn’t come out, and then used the brute force and intelligence approach that I lacked: a paper clip!

Yes, boys and girls, when it comes down to it, the humble paper clip can move mountains, or in this case a RAM cover which was stuck. The screw was fine, but the cover was jammed tight. Pulling the cover out a smidgin allowed him to put a nylon-tipped screw driver under it and lever it out.

The RAM has now doubled. And the boot-up time has reduced considerably. Woohoo.

As John Braun would do at this point: a finger shake at Apple. This RAM cost me $NZ800. If I’d bought it from Apple NZ, it would have cost $NZ1,080. But it’s the same stick. Not another brand. The same bloody stick.

But full marks to both Harvey Norman and Connect NZ. Good customer service, and it didn’t cost me a cent.

Signature

@LaurieFleming