Quick question about Siri

• Posted: 07 July 2010 02:05 AM

Anyone who has Siri and not updated it… Did it always use Bing to return the results or is this a sign of a change from Apple?

Thanks In advance…

Signature

• Posted: 07 July 2010 11:45 AM #1

rattyuk - 07 July 2010 05:05 AM

Anyone who has Siri and not updated it… Did it always use Bing to return the results or is this a sign of a change from Apple?

Thanks In advance…

Bing had always been on there.

The new Wolfram Alpha integration is pretty cool as it expands functionality. Math calculations, unit/currency conversions, general facts, stock quotes.

I think Siri could be the future of Voice Control, or a derivative function thereof. Currently, it’s mainly an assistant for finding & booking/buying tickets for movies, events, transportation, dining, etc. Most likely the developers started along that path since those functions are easily monetized, as opposed to general information queries where one is not looking to purchase tickets, book dining or travel, etc.  such as answers to math computations.

If I want to know what the temp is I have to open weather, if i want to know what Apple’s stock is trading I have to open stocks… open clock for time in Moscow, open calculator for 32x27, maps for address/phone number, safari for web search, etc and so on….... How much better would it be just to have to pull out phone, let’s say press home button for 2 secs and then ask any of those questions? Providing the functionality of multiple apps. And doesn’t even require looking at the screen if Apple integrates the speech technology whereby the lady would read back input/output. I think it has huge potential to be woven into the OS, and then allow 3rd party apps to hook into it. It could be a huge differentiator.

Signature

Financial Alchemist

• Posted: 07 July 2010 01:30 PM #2

Thanks for the response Turley. I updated and noticed the Bing branding and wondered if it had always been that way. But as I had the latest version I couldn’t wind the clock back.

Signature