Documents to Go or Office2 HD for iPad?

• Posted: 07 July 2010 01:06 PM

Hello All,

I am looking for an app that will sync documents between two desktop Macs and my iPad. The primary document types are .doc and .xls file formats. Any other format is gravy.

Ideally I would like an app that saves the documents locally on the Macs and iPad as well as in the cloud for syncing between the three devices. It can either use it’s own service or integrate with another (Google Docs, Dropbox, ect.).

It seems that Documents to Go and Office2 HD fit the bill.

I’m looking for recommendations and advice from anyone who has used either app (or suggestions for a better).

Thanks in advance.

• Posted: 11 July 2010 05:24 PM #1

Are you hoping to find something that lets you also edit documents on your iPad and sync those changes back to the “cloud”, or do you just want to be able to view them?

You don’t happen to have a MobileMe account, do you? If you do, MobileMe’s iDisk feature is the easiest way to sync files from your computer into the “cloud” and make them accessible on-the-go. There’s a free iDisk app that lets you view MS Office, iWork, PDF’s, etc. documents on iPhone, iPad or iPod.

Barring iDisk, you’re probably looking at a multi-part solution. That is, one app for your iPad, and another for your computer. One free option that requires a little work on your part is to use a free app to upload/download documents to Google Docs. Cyberduck http://cyberduck.ch/ is one such application. Google Docs also has a mobile (view-only) web interface that works on iOS devices for reading those files from the iPad.

• Posted: 13 July 2010 05:44 PM #2

Thanks for the reply,

I don’t have MobileMe nor an iDisk account, so I am looking for a reasonable workaround. After reading some reviews, I think that QuickOffice might be my best bet as it ties in with both DropBox (which I use) as well as Google Docs.

To answer your questions, however; I am looking to be able to both view and edit files (.doc and .xls for school) on my iPad. Ideally, I would like to be able to save the files on my iPad and have the documents sync to both the “cloud” as well as my desktop machines.

My workaround would be to use DropBox on my Macs and my iPad to keep the files synced up. DropBox has the option to keep “favorites” saved on the iPad for off-line viewing.

I guess my big question, is has anyone used Quickoffice, Docs2Go, or Office2 HD on the iPad? And does anyone know how well they integrate into DropBox (or GoogleDocs)?

Or is there a more elegant solution that I am missing?

Thanks.