What’s Your Favorite Image Editor?

Posted: 13 July 2010 11:50 AM

It’s no secret that I use Photoshop nearly every day and have for years. I’m currently using Photoshop CS5, but there are plenty of alternatives out there. I’m curious what apps other than Photoshop people are using and enjoying. Pixelmator looks like a nice alternative for some people. What other applications are you using?

[ Edited: 25 October 2011 07:32 PM by Intruder ]      
  • Posted: 13 July 2010 11:57 AM #1

Graphic Converter is still my reliable tool for touch up, format interchange, and such.

• Posted: 13 July 2010 12:45 PM #2

I guess it depends on what you are using it for. For image manipulation and compositing, it’s still my go to app. For photo processing and color correction I think Aperture/Lightroom are better day to day. And for me, when producing digital illustrations, Painter is the best choice. Still, I do this work professionally, so for the casual user Photoshop is overkill for any image work, especially if you can’t get Academic pricing.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 13 July 2010 12:50 PM #3

For a quick crop, resize, format change, etc., I just use Preview. When I need to build the image, I’ve been using GIMP for several years now. It reads my old Photoshop files, minus an drop shadow or other effect or two. The mouse focus can be a pain—I still find myself forgetting to click twice to activate a panel and then activate a tool. The price difference, however, cannot be beat.

Signature

Dean Lewis
    http://www.offbalance.com
    "Now that you’re dead, your usefulness to me
    has ended! But I’ll keep your shoes. BWAHAHAHA"
    —The Lightning Bug, J-Men Forever (1978)

Posted: 13 July 2010 03:15 PM #4

For simple tasks such as cropping, resizing, some adjustments if PhotoShop is not running then I will generally use Preview. Otherwise I use PhotoShop.

I am thinking that there is a lot of potential in Preview and LightRoom, that they are built on good foundations with deep footings. If Adobe was to jilt Apple, I bet Apple could come out fairly quickly with a photo editor that could compete with PhotoShop.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 13 July 2010 06:42 PM #5

If I’m on Windows I use Paint.NET.  There are simple tasks like cropping and format change, which can be done with Preview.  Sometimes I need to create my own graphics, whether a quicky icon, some background for a web site, or a drawing to include in a presentation.  Paint.NET’s tools (simple to use tools, a few effects, layers and transparency) beat out most everything else.  Pixelmator has OK tools, but I too often find there’s something I can’t do in Pixelmator that I could in Paint.NET.  (I haven’t used pixelmator in long enough that I forget what it was.)  Graphics Converter keeps killing the quality of my images when I import them, edit, and export. 

I also found that Paint.NET saves PNGs without the gamma correction issue while Pixelmator’s saved images do exhibit the problem. (The problem is that Mac gamma settings do not correspond to PC ones, and some browsers on a Mac will therefore apply different gamma correction to colors in a PNG than to the RGB color specified in CSS, thus background images do not blend with HTML elements.)  My solution was to open and re-save every image from Paint.NET.  Still, I think there are a few remaining issues on some computers (not seen on my own), so I might just have to use GIF instead of PNG anyway.

Photoshop is overkill, but mostly it’s just too expensive.  Most people I know pirate it, but I refuse to pirate software.  I used to use Photoshop Elements (came with a scanner in the late 90s) which had reasonable tools and some cool effects/filters (though you had to click around their funny menus).  I haven’t given Pixelmator enough of a chance, though, because it has failed me a couple times and I just haven’t gone back.  (Also, I only have a license for it on one of my computers, and I edit web sites, and their corresponding graphics, on both of them.)

Since Steam now runs on Mac the only time I use VM Ware or Bootcamp these days is to run Paint.NET.

Posted: 13 July 2010 06:52 PM #6

webjprgm - 13 July 2010 09:42 PM

Photoshop is overkill, but mostly it’s just too expensive.  Most people I know pirate it, but I refuse to pirate software.  I used to use Photoshop Elements (came with a scanner in the late 90s) which had reasonable tools and some cool effects/filters (though you had to click around their funny menus).

PhotoShop Elements, or an equivalent, probably meets the needs of most people.

Lately I have been using Preview to import from my scanner

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

Posted: 26 July 2010 01:46 PM #7

Sir Harry Flashman - 13 July 2010 09:52 PM

PhotoShop Elements, or an equivalent, probably meets the needs of most people.

Easily ? or even the now mature iPhoto ? particularly when you think about how many people just dump their cards onto the hard drive and go from there, not even cropping, making the simplest color adjustments, or even deleting unwanted shots (until they reformat the card).

• Posted: 13 August 2010 09:47 AM #8

My favorite photo editor is Photohouse old 1.1 version of Corel WordPerfect included in the Corel Suite 8 Because it’s simple, easy to use and I can do my tasks Resizing, brighting and sharpening quick and accurate.

Signature

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.

Posted: 29 April 2011 10:44 AM #9

princealway - 13 August 2010 12:47 PM

Corel WordPerfect

Nostalgic twang hits in the throat

• Posted: 21 May 2011 03:14 PM #10

I use Photoshop almost exclusively for my image editing—I will sometimes use Aperture or iPhoto, but I don’t understand the nuances of them as much, so I tend to stick with Photoshop.

[ Edited: 21 May 2011 03:20 PM by jroller ]

Signature

My Macs: MacbookPro, MacPro  
    My Sites:
    Apple-inspired Tees ~~~ Yearbook QR Codes ~~~ Yearbook Unlimited

• Posted: 27 May 2011 09:35 AM #11

piZap is an online photo editor that allows anyone to add objects and text to their pictures to give them a goofy look.

• Posted: 08 June 2011 06:06 PM #12

For photo-specific editing I do all of that right in Aperture. For very basic stuff like cropping an existing file I will use Preview or GraphicConverter. For anything more advanced, Photoshop.

• Posted: 09 July 2011 04:16 AM #13

Tiger - 13 July 2010 02:57 PM

Graphic Converter is still my reliable tool for touch up, format interchange, and such.

me too