AAPL Intraday Updates - Earnings Day Edition (Archive)

• Posted: 20 July 2010 12:44 AM

Let’s get busy!

[ Edited: 27 September 2010 03:03 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 20 July 2010 01:13 AM #1

The Hang Seng index and Shanghai are up decent, hopefully this will work it way around the globe. Stock prices are built from earnings up. I would really get a kick out of Peter ambushing analyst with a projection for 4th qtr eps of around $4. Never gonna happen, but still nice to think about. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 20 July 2010 02:08 AM #2

Tuesday

R4         275.86
      midpoint   270.72
    R3       265.58
      midpoint   260.44
    R2       255.30
      midpoint   252.87
    R1       250.44
      midpoint   247.73
    PP       245.02
      midpoint   242.59
    S1       240.16
      midpoint   237.45
    S2       234.74
      midpoint   229.60
    S3       224.46
      midpoint   219.32
    S4       214.18

• Posted: 20 July 2010 02:08 AM #3

Production ramp for iPad and iPhones will be the key to the guidance we get from Apple.  I’m not sure we’ll get what we want there.  But a strong earnings # should trump it, as it did Q2 2010.  I’m all in, and then some.  This will be Super Bowl Tuesday. 
    grin

Posted: 20 July 2010 02:47 AM #4

Mercel - 20 July 2010 05:08 AM

Production ramp for iPad and iPhones will be the key to the guidance we get from Apple.  I’m not sure we’ll get what we want there.  But a strong earnings # should trump it, as it did Q2 2010.  I’m all in, and then some.  This will be Super Bowl Tuesday. 
    grin

I am essentially all in with you Mercel. I will be nervous throughout the day and have thought about taking some off the table. i really don’t like the way Texas Ins. was treated. I have 2 doctors appointments to go to with Tammy tomorrow, that will distract me some. I guess I :bugeyed:  need to go to bed since the first one is at 8:30.

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2010 03:35 AM #5

Best of luck to everyone.  I’ve placed my bets so to speak, and I’ll just have to make peace with whatever happens.  Maybe I should get some antacids for all the uncertainty.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 20 July 2010 08:35 AM #6

IBM and TXN getting trashed in the after market yesterday may be good for AAPL. Both companies failed to beat on top line revenue. This is what the street is looking for. Apple fell two dollars after hours in sympathy with these tech stocks. From the looks of pre market open AAPL will continue to drop on palatable fear. Could spend part of the day in the $230’s but should recover some into the close before earnings announcement. I am mostly all in with calls but nothing closer than October but mostly 2012 Leaps. Course if the market in general heads south big time (double dip) all bets are off
    Apple will beat on Top line so the ‘‘sell the news’’ crowd may have a few problems. So pushed down before earnings rather than being run up gives the quants and hedge funds an opportunity
    to profit maybe from the long side.
    As an aside I would love to hear Apple announce a 5 for 1 stock split. I usually do not like SS’s but in Apple’s case it might make sense to get the public back in the market and buy some of Apples equity as well as their products. The average guy will not buy a $250 stock but will spend $50 bucks to put a share in his kids Christmas stocking… kinda like Disney

• Posted: 20 July 2010 09:56 AM #7

I got a bad feeling about today…
    the bears will get the heavy stuff out of the closet.. they will find something to shoot at…
    iPhone numbers? iPad numbers, guidance, margins, Steve’s health, his shoe-size… anything will do… and like we saw the last week, they definitely have the money and the connections to pull off this heist…

Signature

An economist is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn’t happen today.

Posted: 20 July 2010 10:00 AM #8

I haven’t been this nervous going into earnings in quite some time.  Based on the high whisper numbers and the market reaction to other earnings reports, I can see us getting hammered big time unless we have a massive beat (like $3.90 EPS or higher).

I’m still all in but not feeling comfortable today.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 20 July 2010 10:10 AM #9

I’m usually uneasy on earnings day, but this time it’s a little more than normal. A couple of weeks ago, I would have said this was going to be a cake walk, but after antennagate,the updated whisper number and the market reaction to other earnings, I’m feeling queezy. Hope this one turns out fine.

Just need to remember I’m in for the long term.

• Posted: 20 July 2010 10:23 AM #10

So do we buy today? - We KNOW Apple’s Q3 earnings will be great and the stock could/should jump.

OR are the forces of technical analysis and sh*tloads of FUD from a greedy market greater and will AAPL be forced to visit it’s 200 MA (now at $ 222,83) before the road to new all time highs can be continued in the 2nd half of 2010…?

To do that APPL would need to lose another 7- 8 %, it will be very interesting to see how mr. market will accomplish this after stellar Q3 results…

Maybe we can do a David Letterman Top-10 here on “How will the market force Apple down 8 % after stellar results”  wink

[ Edited: 20 July 2010 11:54 AM by Lion ]      
  • Posted: 20 July 2010 10:30 AM #11

Regardless of what happens, I’ll stay focused on Q4 2010.  Apple will no doubt have a bad egg in the bunch to report, but the EPS # we want today will shift the focus back where it belongs:  Apple is a juggernaut.

Too, some of the sell-off has already occurred, so more downside should be limited if that happens. 

Mark:  Best of luck to you and Tammy with the Dr. appointments (and the perspective reminder).

• Posted: 20 July 2010 11:48 AM #12

Good analysis here:

http://www.bloggingstocks.com/2010/07/20/apple-underdog-to-evil-empire/

Posted: 20 July 2010 12:34 PM #13

Mercel - 20 July 2010 01:30 PM

Mark:  Best of luck to you and Tammy with the Dr. appointments (and the perspective reminder).

Thanks mercel, the results of the first appointment is that she will be having a tubal ligation with the next breast surgery. She has been considered for a research treatment. I am very excited about this since it will provide her with more attention. (Dedicated research nurse)

I wish everyone good luck today, obviously not the shorts since both sides can not prevail today. rolleyes

Signature

Posted: 20 July 2010 12:37 PM #14

Good luck Mark.  Forget AAPL.  There are far more important things in life. 

I’ll be keeping the two of you in my thoughts and prayers.

Signature

- Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 20 July 2010 12:48 PM #15

iBailed (sort of).  Sold some calls (Oct and Jan 11).  I don’t trust this market at all lately.  I usually do the wrong thing and regret it later but I’m still “mostly” all in.

Hope my fears are unfounded.

Signature

- Jimi Hendrix