ipad

Posted: 20 July 2010 10:20 PM

This just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :drool:

Apple Inc. is selling out of its iPad tablet computer and its latest smart phone, the iPhone 4, as fast as it can make the new gadgets, defying ongoing doubts about the economic recovery.

The company said it sold 3.3 million iPads in the gadget’s first quarter on the market, and people who want to buy one now are finding many stores out of stock. Online, the waiting time is seven to 10 business days.

Apple’s chief operating officer, Tim Cook, addressed the short supply regarding the iPad during a conference call Tuesday.

THE QUESTION: When do you think supply and demand will be in balance?

THE RESPONSE: “We honestly don’t know is the answer. We have been pleasantly surprised at how fast this product has gotten out of the chute. If you look at how long it took us to sell the first million iPods, the 20-plus months versus the one month of iPad, it is a phenomenal difference.

“It is not following a typical early adopter curve and then taking a long time to cross into the mainstream. So I don’t know how high is high. Our guts tell us this market is very big, and we believe that iPad is really defining the market, and we to want take full advantage of it, and so we are investing enormous time and resource in increasing our capability and getting iPad out to as many people as we can.”

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 22 July 2010 01:49 AM #1

I love my iPad, but as of late I am spending more time on my laptop or iMac.

If I want to research or send emails quickly, it is so much easier on traditional system that is faster.

However as of late with my new iPad keyboard I am back to using my iPad for emails or posting on AFB.

It is an amazing device and I do believe that Apple is genuinely surprised about its stellar sales numbers and demand.

DT talked about the tipping point a couple years ago and I think the ipad is truly the device that will kick start one again corporate and enterprise adoption that started with the iPhone.

I find myself watching shows and playing with Apps more then ever, while in the public sector I am seeing more iPad adoption by IT managers that were big Window guys.

Posted: 22 July 2010 03:06 AM #2

The addressable market is far larger than Apple’s present ability to meet demand, even though it’s been compressed by the global economic malaise.  And in many cases, it really does seem that people will prioritize for quality goods, meaning that the economy is not necessarily pricing certain Apple consumers out of the market - they’re just taking a little longer or saving up a little more to purchase.  It’s an oversimplification, but important to point out to those who don’t understand Apple.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 22 July 2010 11:16 AM #3

Anyone else think we’re days away from getting the 5 million sold announcement?  I feel like the international launch will surely put us over that amount if the increase in build rates is to be believed.  The announcement might not come until Monday but that could provide a nice bump for the start of next week.

• Posted: 22 July 2010 11:27 AM #4

Do you think we will get the 5m update or is it over in terms of posting milestones for the iPad?

• Posted: 22 July 2010 11:39 AM #5

I think they’re going to keep giving these milestones to sway any developers on the fence of whether or not to create ipad specific apps.  Plus, it’s going to create impossible milestones for any new tablet devices to match and make the press question the success of any device that doesn’t release sales figures (e.g. Kindle).

Posted: 22 July 2010 11:45 AM #6

It’s slightly concerning though, in some respects. If they’d had more out there, they’d be selling a load more and getting ahead on broader penetration. As soon as the competition gets its act together and some proper Windows devices appear, then it’s going to be an easier sell to enterprise, as they are supposedly used to PC’s and have better and more imbedded tech sales folk to push the Windows option.

There is a vital window here to get penetration into enterprise asap, but if the big companies are liking it and saying I’ll take 10,000 or whatever and apple is saying, I’m afraid that’ll be a few weeks, then others could slip in and take that market.

Of course, there’s no viable competition yet, and it’s possible most of the potential competition is focusing on the holiday quarter to try and bring something decent to market on the consumer side rather than enterprise, and their manufacturing ramp won’t have even started yet.

My hunch is that with enterprise biting, Apple could be making twice as many and still be selling out.

Posted: 22 July 2010 12:34 PM #7

In case anyone had any doubt as to how significant the iPad is, it is now Apple’s third largest business, taking over from iPods.

http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/10/07/22/ipod.continues.shrinking.mac.regains.ground/

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 22 July 2010 09:22 PM #8

LG Display CEO: Not Fulfilling Apple LCD Panel Orders For IPad Now

Last update: 7/22/2010 8:19:04 PM

SEOUL (Dow Jones)—The chief executive of LG Display Co. (LPL, 034220.SE) said the company isn’t currently fulfilling strong panel orders from Apple Inc. (AAPL) for its new tablet computer, the iPad, which is seen to have slowed the global sales of the device. But the South Korean flat-panel maker said it may be able to fill the orders by the second quarter of next year.

“Apple is ordering more and more displays [for iPad] but it isn’t something we can be able to respond quickly,” Chief Executive Kwon Young-soo told a group of reporters late Thursday. “I am not sure whether we can be able to meet orders from other companies for similar products, but we will be able to supply the displays without fail…by the second quarter of next year.”

Some Asian manufacturers have been recently ramping up production of key components for electronics, as shortages have frustrated consumers and disrupted business for companies such as Apple. LG Display Co., the world’s second-largest liquid-crystal-display maker by revenue after Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.SE), is a major supplier of flat screens used in Apple’s iPad and iPhones.

Reflecting such concerns, LG Display said Thursday it will invest about KRW618 billion ($512 million) to build a 4.5 generation production line that can produce mobile displays used in smartphones and tablet PCs to meet robust demand.

Meanwhile, unlike smaller displays, Kwon said, LG Display is currently seeing a high level of television inventories from set makers, and that the company may have to cut production of panels used for televisions in August.

“Most TV set makers had set too aggressive sales targets early this year, but they saw weaker sales of TVs following the global financial woes, leading to higher inventory levels, and LCD orders [for TV panels] have been falling recently,” Kwon said.

Kwon said the impact from the European-led economic weakness on its business will only last about two months—July and August—and that the high TV inventories would return to a normal levels in September.
    On Thursday, LG Display posted a second-quarter net profit of KRW555 billion ($461 million), up from KRW367 billion a year earlier. Operating profit more than doubled to KRW726 billion from KRW352 billion, while sales rose 35% to KRW6.45 trillion from KRW4.77 trillion.

-By Jung-Ah Lee, Dow Jones Newswires; 822-3700-1907; .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
    (END) Dow Jones Newswires
    July 22, 2010 20:08 ET (00:08 GMT)

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 22 July 2010 10:11 PM #9

LG isn’t the only supplier in town.  I’m sure Apple can find other vendors more than happy to take on its overflow business.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 July 2010 10:44 PM #10

artman1033 - 23 July 2010 01:33 AM

SARAH is in a dither over the iPad:

In Tuesday?s earnings call, Apple announced that it has sold 3.27 million iPads in the quarter ending June 26. On June 22, it had announced shipping 3 million iPads?that?s 270,000 units in less than one week.

But the iPad isn?t behaving like other consumer devices: It has a steamroller of momentum behind it that indicates incredibly strong demand for this entirely new form factor.

Why is it that “The Experts” are always so surprised that Apple products sell so well? How do they justify their jobs? Amazing!

:apple:

• Posted: 22 July 2010 11:23 PM #11

In Tuesday?s earnings call, Apple announced that it has sold 3.27 million iPads in the quarter ending June 26. On June 22, it had announced shipping 3 million iPads?that?s 270,000 units in less than one week.

She’s trying to cover her tracks - I recognized the name and searching threw my Safari history took me to an article by PED back in June… Was quite a big thing at the time - not quite on the antenna gate scale of things but the haters were working it quite hard I think.

Forrester: iPad sales will plummet
    Posted by Philip Elmer-DeWitt
    June 18, 2010 6:29 AM

Projects a “modest” 3.5 million tablets in 2010, despite the 2 million iPads Apple has sold

Here’s what I don’t understand about the Forrester Research report that got so much press on Thursday—besides the fact that it takes Microsoft’s (MSFT) Steve Ballmer’s side over Steve Jobs’ on where the PC market is headed. (Jobs compared PCs to farm trucks; Ballmer called the iPad a PC, and Forrester’s Sarah Rotman Epps agrees.)

PED’s original article here.

Signature

Posted: 22 July 2010 11:31 PM #12

Wow.  I guess only 230,000 more iPads will be sold, and everyone won’t buy another tablet for the rest of the year. 

One of the great/questionable things about America, people give way too many chances to people who can’t forecast their way out of a paper bag.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 22 July 2010 11:44 PM #13

grouse - 22 July 2010 02:45 PM

It’s slightly concerning though, in some respects. If they’d had more out there, they’d be selling a load more and getting ahead on broader penetration. As soon as the competition gets its act together and some proper Windows devices appear, then it’s going to be an easier sell to enterprise, as they are supposedly used to PC’s and have better and more imbedded tech sales folk to push the Windows option.

There is a vital window here to get penetration into enterprise asap, but if the big companies are liking it and saying I’ll take 10,000 or whatever and apple is saying, I’m afraid that’ll be a few weeks, then others could slip in and take that market.

Of course, there’s no viable competition yet, and it’s possible most of the potential competition is focusing on the holiday quarter to try and bring something decent to market on the consumer side rather than enterprise, and their manufacturing ramp won’t have even started yet.

My hunch is that with enterprise biting, Apple could be making twice as many and still be selling out.

I read an article yesterday titled “iPad/iPhone Killers Killed” - can’t remember which site it was on, but essentially, the article talked about how Apple has gobbled up almost all available displays and NAND for these type of devices and if Apple cant make them fast enough because suppliers can’t keep up, there’s no hope for new entrants to catch up with Apple’s volumes. The only exception would be Samsung since it is the other big supplier for Apple and clearly they would give a higher priority to their own devices.

• Posted: 23 July 2010 12:45 AM #14

AHHA - 23 July 2010 02:44 AM
    grouse - 22 July 2010 02:45 PM

I read an article yesterday titled “iPad/iPhone Killers Killed” - can’t remember which site it was on, but essentially, the article talked about how Apple has gobbled up almost all available displays and NAND for these type of devices and if Apple cant make them fast enough because suppliers can’t keep up, there’s no hope for new entrants to catch up with Apple’s volumes. The only exception would be Samsung since it is the other big supplier for Apple and clearly they would give a higher priority to their own devices.

That would be here.

http://www.9to5mac.com/apple_has_already_won

With a bit of corroboration given that LG can’t keep up with iPad display demand. (previously posted by Tan)

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/22/lg_unable_to_meet_ipad_display_demand.html

[ Edited: 23 July 2010 12:49 AM by BillH ]

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 23 July 2010 01:19 AM #15

I couldn’t help posting a comment on this one. (which follows)  Thanks for the heads up. 

Analyst’s always gain (not lose) credibility when they just admit they blew it. Secondly, Bill Gates and Microsoft had been trying to build a tablet market for what feels like a decade. They haven’t come anywhere near the production of a successful product that sold in quantity. Hence there is no indication that there is a tablet market. Every tablet that had been announced at CES of any note has since been pulled and is either abandoned or back in redesign. There is only an iPad market and whatever imitators may follow it.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!