iPhone Jailbreaking Now Legal

• Posted: 26 July 2010 06:18 PM

US government legalizes iPhone ‘jailbreaking,’ unlocking

The U.S. government on Monday announced new rules that make it officially legal for iPhone owners to “jailbreak” their device and run unauthorized third-party applications. In addition, it is now acceptable to unlock any cell phone for use on multiple carriers.

• Posted: 26 July 2010 08:16 PM #1

willrob - 26 July 2010 09:18 PM

US government legalizes iPhone ‘jailbreaking,’ unlocking

The U.S. government on Monday announced new rules that make it officially legal for iPhone owners to “jailbreak” their device and run unauthorized third-party applications. In addition, it is now acceptable to unlock any cell phone for use on multiple carriers.

I feel so much better that the gov’t has now granted us permission to play with our toys.

• Posted: 27 July 2010 12:51 AM #2

It may be legal, but does it still void the Apple warranty?

• Posted: 27 July 2010 01:49 AM #3

It’s okay to hack an iPhone but not a DVD owned by me for my own use?  That’s just wrong!

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 27 July 2010 05:42 AM #4

BillH - 27 July 2010 04:49 AM

It’s okay to hack an iPhone but not a DVD owned by me for my own use?  That’s just wrong!

Apparently that is legal too now - for “educational” reasons.

Signature

• Posted: 27 July 2010 01:15 PM #5

Apple says: Go ahead and jailbreak your iPhone. See if we care! (i.e. GO AHEAD AND FLUSH YOUR WARRANTY DOWN THE TOILET).

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100727/apple-on-jailbreak-ruling-go-ahead-and-brick-your-iphone-see-if-we-care/?reflink=ATD_yahoo_ticker

Posted: 27 July 2010 01:56 PM #6

I am surprised that this was ever an issue: if I so desire, I could use the iPhone as a a doorstop or a hockey puck. I should be able to install any program I desire on my device. Apple may refuse to grant me warranty service, but it shouldn’t be able to go any further. However, I think this is a non-issue: there are plenty of advantages to users who comply with Apple’s idea of a smartphone, and the decision by the Copyright Office may at most reassure some potential customers to finally buy an iPhone. I see this as a non-issue.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 27 July 2010 04:59 PM #7

The only issue is an intrusive gov’t that deigns to permit you the permission to actually own and use something.

Posted: 28 July 2010 08:51 AM #8

danthemason - 27 July 2010 07:59 PM

The only issue is an intrusive gov’t that deigns to permit you the permission to actually own and use something.

Implementation of the DMCA was heavily lobbied by the software, music and movie industry. It’s another example about government being a corporate lackey. Instead of acting for the good of the country, it acts for the benefit of a deep pocketed interests and votes, i.e.: big business.

Signature

Tightwad.