iPhone4   30th July roll out

• Posted: 29 July 2010 09:41 AM

Not sure what is going on but here in New Zealand at 1am 30th june Vodafone the only carrier of the iPhone has not released any price plans or where it will be available.. in fact they have taken down any mention of the iPhone off there website including the link for registering interest off there website.
    Apple store NZ also still has coming soon

Many very unhappy people including myself as it looks like we are not going to get it today..

[ Edited: 29 July 2010 09:45 AM by Downunder ]      
  • Posted: 29 July 2010 05:54 PM #1

UPDATE: 9am and still no phones anywhere

Vodafone pulls iPhone 4 from website; launch in chaos but across the Tasman, the wonder phone duly appeared at midnight..

http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/iphone-4-where-art-thou-127085

[ Edited: 29 July 2010 06:05 PM by Downunder ]      

Posted: 29 July 2010 10:52 PM #2

Supply seems ridiculously constrained.  Hopefully, Apple’s still ramping up for 10-12 million iPhone 4s to be shipped this quarter.

According to Mac Rumors, subsidized iPhone 4s in NZ are available in very limited supply.  Hope you guys get more supply soon!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 29 July 2010 11:56 PM #3

Well at last the iPhones went on sale at lunch time and promptly sold out as shops only had 10 to 15 phones… so I am back to waiting to get one..

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:20 AM #4

Here in Canada the three major carriers all offer the iPhone. We also have the option to purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple directly.

All three offer the iPhone on a 3 year contract for $159/269. Bell Canada has a 6GB data plan for $30 with an option to share the data with the iPad for an extra $10/month. Rogers (and their sub brand Fido) (the original carriers of the iPhone) is offering a similar plan except the option to share is $20/month. They are also offering a $25 plan to share the voice/data with a second phone. I guess the intention is to pass on your 3G/3GS to a family member.

It’s nice to have options. I’m hoping that Rogers will drop their share plan to match Bell.

edit: forgot to mention. Both plans above include tethering.

[ Edited: 30 July 2010 10:29 AM by CdnPhoto ]      

Posted: 30 July 2010 10:13 PM #5

I was talking to customer support trying to get my iPad on to the 3G network and he informed me that their systems were over whelmed. He said that they were trying to register “almost 1 million” iPhones on to the network today. This was with Rogers who also own the Fido network, but doesn’t include Bell or Telus, the two other carriers introducing the iPhone 4 today.

Posted: 30 July 2010 11:51 PM #6

There’s a chance Apple will update the iPhone 4 sales numbers on Monday, part of the reason to show the world that Antennagate is Mountain-Out-of-Molehillgate.  I’m sure if any one carrier actually had 1,000,000 new iPhones coming online in a single day, but I’m pretty sure Apple will move well over 1,000,000 units worldwide this launch phase weekend.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 31 July 2010 12:16 AM #7

speaking of Antennagate, I’ve seen videos of the iPhone 4 in Canada. They can make the bars go from 5 to 2, but can’t make it drop the connection. I think a lot of this has to do with the quality of service from AT&T.

• Posted: 31 July 2010 01:16 AM #8

CdnPhoto - 30 July 2010 01:20 PM

Here in Canada the three major carriers all offer the iPhone. We also have the option to purchase an unlocked iPhone from Apple directly.

All three offer the iPhone on a 3 year contract for $159/269. Bell Canada has a 6GB data plan for $30 with an option to share the data with the iPad for an extra $10/month. Rogers (and their sub brand Fido) (the original carriers of the iPhone) is offering a similar plan except the option to share is $20/month. They are also offering a $25 plan to share the voice/data with a second phone. I guess the intention is to pass on your 3G/3GS to a family member.

It’s nice to have options. I’m hoping that Rogers will drop their share plan to match Bell.

edit: forgot to mention. Both plans above include tethering.

I checked out the local mall (Waterloo) at lunch time. Rogers was sold out, bell was left only giving out reserved units, but Telus still had the iPhone in stock. While i was there a fellow walked in and forked out nearly $800 for an unlocked 32gb version.

Posted: 31 July 2010 02:46 AM #9

PED posted several videos here (exact link blacklisted for some reason, top story right now - also, sorry for repeating if this was already posted elsewhere).

Nice showcase of what’s going on around the world, and how Apple is extending its brand internationally. International expansion will be extremely important for Apple in the coming decade.

• Posted: 31 July 2010 07:59 AM #10

There has developed no less than a world-wide iPhone & iPad feeding frenzy.  It is critical that Apple increases it’s production dramatically and quickly.  This is no time for a WII-like extended shortage.  This has all of the earmarks of a sales number over the next 6 months that could actually be a multiple of what has been published as expected.  But only if production allows it.

This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to make two products so dominant in class that they drive secondary demand (apps & media content) over the top!  If Apple can ratchet production high enough the iPhone could become quite dominant and the iPad could become iPod like within it’s class.

Go Tim Cook!

• Posted: 31 July 2010 09:12 AM #11

Nice review in the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/apple/article/841986—don-t-believe-the-negative-hype-iphone-4-rocks

Love the headline:
    “Don?t believe the (negative) hype: iPhone 4 rocks”

Posted: 31 July 2010 11:49 AM #12

daveynb - 31 July 2010 12:12 PM

Nice review in the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/apple/article/841986—don-t-believe-the-negative-hype-iphone-4-rocks

Love the headline:
    “Don?t believe the (negative) hype: iPhone 4 rocks”

Interesting thing about that article is that it’s written by a guy who has (is?) been paid by Microsoft for a long time. He used to have a radio show where he would talk up Microsoft stuff.

• Posted: 31 July 2010 11:56 AM #13

Ars Technica

iPhone 4 antenna woes “significantly worse” than competition
    By Chris Foresman | Last updated about 7 hours ago

Apple launched the iPhone 4 in 17 additional countries today, causing another round of debate over whether or not the iPhone 4’s external antenna design is flawed or not. A UK consulting firm says its tests show the “death grip” problem is real, and “significantly” worse for the iPhone 4 than other smartphones. A review from Norway is less critical, suggesting the iPhone 4 gets better signal than competing phones and may be victim to AT&T’s less “robust” wireless network.

More at

http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2010/07/international-launch-causes-rehash-of-iphone-4-antenna-issue.ars

Posted: 31 July 2010 04:20 PM #14

Apple doesn’t race.  It runs marathons at a pace that looks kinda like a race.  It’s a fierce competitor but it doesn’t just react to what competitors do, it sticks to the long-term plan.  And given how things have been since Apple 2.0 emerged in 1997, I can’t question Apple’s strategy.

Apple also doesn’t compete in the usual way.  Android is out there in the smartphone space, but to my knowledge has nowhere near the presence that Apple does in the pocket computer space, which accounts for about 45-50 million iOS (read: iPod touch) devices sold to date.  It doesn’t just go after markets, it changes them, changing the rules of the game as well as the battlefield.

Signature

AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 31 July 2010 05:35 PM #15

Mav - 31 July 2010 07:20 PM

Apple doesn’t race.  It runs marathons at a pace that looks kinda like a race.  It’s a fierce competitor but it doesn’t just react to what competitors do, it sticks to the long-term plan.  And given how things have been since Apple 2.0 emerged in 1997, I can’t question Apple’s strategy.

Apple also doesn’t compete in the usual way.  Android is out there in the smartphone space, but to my knowledge has nowhere near the presence that Apple does in the pocket computer space, which accounts for about 45-50 million iOS (read: iPod touch) devices sold to date.  It doesn’t just go after markets, it changes them, changing the rules of the game as well as the battlefield.

Love your post. Despite it’s near perfection I’ll quibble with it anyway because, hey, that’s what I do.

Apple has so many strengths that I always feel foolish talking about their “one great strength” or their “greatest strength”. But I’m going to do it anyway. Perhaps Apple’s greatest strength is their ability to re-invent markets. The term game changer is over used but it is probably an apt way to describe what Apple does. They’ve changed the rules for the MP3, the phone and the tablet markets. I agree with you that Apple is following a broad strategy rather than trying to gain a tactical advantage. While others think in terms of MP3’s or phones or tablets, Apple is advancing on a broad front assaulting all comers with a unified iOS attack.

Here’s my one quibble with your post. I do think that Apple chose to “race” with the iPad. I think they looked at the terrain, realized that they were unopposed in the field and decided to purposely lower the prices of their products in the hopes of gaining as much market share as possible while they had the first mover advantage. (Looking at the way they are selling more iPads than they can make, perhaps they would have been OK selling the iPads for a slightly higher price.) It’s the equivalent of removing armor from your tanks in order to make them lighter and faster and then shooting them out into the countryside to wreak havoc.

I’m curious about Apple’s next move. I feel confident that they are going to put camera’s in their Ipod Touch and perhaps some other iPod product in order to extend their FaceTime agenda. But is there more? Google is talking about a music store. Could we get an “iTunes in the Cloud” announced this Fall? And what about Apple TV? Are the rumors a foreshadowing or just an empty shadow? Whatever the case, I’m sure Apple has a long term plan in place. I would be disappointed that I can’t seem to predict their next move if it weren’t for the fact that so many of Apple’s powerful competitors have even been able to fully comprehend what Apple’s last move was. In any case, we sure live in interesting times.