Is anybody else using the iPhone less?

• Posted: 02 August 2010 09:34 PM

Now that I have been using both my iPad and iPhone for several months, I find myself using the iPhone much less than I used to before. I haven’t bought an iPhone app since I bought my iPad. I now use my iPhone for the basics: quickly checking weather and stocks, texting, calls and part of my email. 

I almost exclusively use my iPad for games, reading books and magazines, and reading news, etc, and I use it most of the time for maps, email and general browsing.

I also find that I rarely use the 3G option on my iPad. Wifi is present in most situations.

To the extent that others are doing the same, then the iPad is much more important long term to the Apple ecosystem than the iPhone.  And all the attention on Android cellphones and the telcom carriers is overhyped. 

Yes, there will be more phones than tablets for years to come, but if most people are buying apps for their tablets, than the platform wars will be won by who sells more tablets.

Posted: 02 August 2010 09:48 PM #1

I still have a first gen iPhone, which like you, only gets used for the basics now that I have an iPad. I’ll probably still get a 4g in the next few months because I cracked the screen on my old iPhone. I also think I can go to the lower data plan.

The iPad (and my MacBook Pro) are used constantly.

Signature

I’ve never owned a windows PC. Never will.

High tech Meditation Music

• Posted: 02 August 2010 09:52 PM #2

macorange - 03 August 2010 12:34 AM

Now that I have been using both my iPad and iPhone for several months, I find myself using the iPhone much less than I used to before. I haven’t bought an iPhone app since I bought my iPad. I now use my iPhone for the basics: quickly checking weather and stocks, texting, calls and part of my email. 

I almost exclusively use my iPad for games, reading books and magazines, and reading news, etc, and I use it most of the time for maps, email and general browsing.

I also find that I rarely use the 3G option on my iPad. Wifi is present in most situations.

To the extent that others are doing the same, then the iPad is much more important long term to the Apple ecosystem than the iPhone.  And all the attention on Android cellphones and the telcom carriers is overhyped. 

Yes, there will be more phones than tablets for years to come, but if most people are buying apps for their tablets, than the platform wars will be won by who sells more tablets.

The iPad is big because every windows user is a potential customer. The iPhone is big for the same reason except that most users replace their phone far more often than computers and the phones are usually subsidized by the carrier.

Therefore, they are both massively important to Apple’s growth. Don’t discount the importance of the iPhone to Apple.

Interestingly, the company is undervalued without the iPad. In other words, with the iPad the markets have massively undervalued Apple’s present and future prospects.

Signature

Inflation robs from the past, deflation robs from the future. Pick your poison.

Posted: 02 August 2010 10:00 PM #3

I don’t have a cell phone to compare usage patterns with, but I’m turning my computer on much later in the day now that I have an iPad. All the relatively trivial things I did on the computer such as web surfing and most emails I now do throughout the day on the iPad.

I wouldn’t be surprised if my electricity bill drops quite a bit since the 30” monitor and Mac Pro suck quite a bit of power.

What I really like is the portability of the iPad. It follows me around the house like a shadow, and is always ready to go on an instant’s notice. I’m a rather stay at home retiree so don’t lead the 8 to 5 lifestyle. This sucker rocks.

Posted: 02 August 2010 10:13 PM #4

Still find it difficult to carry the iPad around and it is not pocketable.

Use the iPad as my secondary laptop as there are many apps that can only run on my Windows laptop. Find using the iPad more at night to do a quick navigation, email, news, weather and other simple tasks. Love not having to boot it up. I use it more to watch movies when travelling than the iPhone.

Agree with jeffi that Aapl is highly undervalued with iPad and iPhone 4. Due to iPhone 4 I use less my cameras for snapshots, don’t carry a portable GPS any longer and use it a lot more than both my laptop and my iPad as it is always on my pocket.

The iPhone 4 upgrade is a big one over the 3GS. Still use the 3GS when travelling as it is unlocked and can swap SIMs easily.

Making a big story short, I still can’t live without my iPhone, laptop and now iPad.

Soon the FUD on the iphone 4 antenna and iPad (slow) manufacturing problems will die, the big numbers will come in and Aapl will come to a reasonable valuation.

And this will be happen very very soon…

Posted: 02 August 2010 11:34 PM #5

Similar behavior as macorange and stevereel.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 03 August 2010 12:14 AM #6

macorange - 03 August 2010 12:34 AM

A thought provoking topic.  grin

I’ve had an iPad now for about three weeks. I consider it an essential device. I prefer it for reading news and digital magazines. It’s an absolute monster hit for Apple and I fully understand why.

The iPad does not replace my iPhone. In fact, it makes my iPhone even more useful. I plow all of my work contacts into MobileMe so contact information is available on all of my devices. My news apps are set up for alerts and so throughout the day I’m keeping on top of the news via of my iPhone.

I’m usually not far from a computer at work or home and so my iPhone is an essential community device. I use it actively during drive time and for texting.

The iPad and an iPhone combined as a personal information, entertainment and communications solution is better than each piece alone.

Posted: 03 August 2010 01:11 AM #7

DawnTreader - 03 August 2010 03:14 AM

... The iPad and an iPhone combined as a personal information, entertainment and communications solution is better than each piece alone.

Hey, I said this moons ago.  Recently, I removed most of the songs and videos from the iPhone. Only left with a couple of purchased apps, songs and videos.  1 Gig is more than enough for those.  Perhaps, is time for Apple to release an iPhone 4 with lower memory after iPhone 3Gs is sold out.  I won’t be surprised that unit sale of iPad would be more than iPhone within a year.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 03 August 2010 09:05 AM #8

I absolutely use my iPhone less now that I have an iPad. The good news for Apple though is that the iPhone is still an essential device in spite of this change in behavior. I don’t believe that iPads are cannibalizing iPhone sales.

• Posted: 03 August 2010 11:16 AM #9

Quick question:

Are people using their iPhones less because prior to the release of the iPad there wasn’t a better solution for watching videos and reading news or digital magazines? I wasn’t one to use my iPhone for more than reading news stories, listening to music, texting, making calls and serving as a mobile contact register. The iPad, in my view, is an immersive device in a way the iPhone isn’t designed to function.

Again, the iPhone and iPad working in concert is a product combination I’ve never seen before. Add in the ability to share apps, share music and other content and each of the two components of this communications, information and entertainment solution complement each other in astounding ways.

• Posted: 03 August 2010 12:13 PM #10

DawnTreader - 03 August 2010 02:16 PM

Quick question:

Are people using their iPhones less because prior to the release of the iPad there wasn’t a better solution for watching videos and reading news or digital magazines? .

Absolutely true for me.  When I look back at what I used to try to do with my iPhone it’s laughable.  I used to post comments on AFB from my iPhone.  No more!  Almost every application is substantially a better experience on the iPad.

But I didn’t mean to suggest that the iPad would canabilze the iPhone.  Both have their uses, and each will have a halo effect on the other.  My only observation was that Im using the iPad a lot more than the iPhone now for applications, and my app purchase decisions are almost entirely focused on the iPad.  To the extent others are doing the same, this points to the iPad as the key part of the ecosystem for developers, and by extension, to Apple itself.

• Posted: 03 August 2010 12:27 PM #11

DT, I think you and others at AFB are onto something here that wasn’t quite as obvious before the iPad was created.

What’s at play here is not just a “halo” effect where buying, say, an iPhone gets one exposed to other Apple products such as the Mac. There is also a synergistic effect in play where the various Apple products work together—-each with its own complementary role—-to produce a more complex and enjoyable/useful experience than we could have otherwise. So the iPad has gone from (1) being a device without a clear role (in the opinion of some early, unimaginative reviewers) to (2) a device offering an unmatched experience for “consuming” content to (3) a device that is an important component of an integrated system of electronic-mediated lifestyle-expanding experiences.

• Posted: 03 August 2010 03:41 PM #12

DawnTreader - 03 August 2010 02:16 PM

Quick question:

Are people using their iPhones less because prior to the release of the iPad there wasn’t a better solution for watching videos and reading news or digital magazines?

Pre iPad I was shifting several common light weight activities like e-mail and browsing away from my desktop and notebook.  I just liked the freedom of not being tied down to a physical location to perform these tasks.  The Macbook is better at not being tied down, but it’s form factor and battery life still discourage using it almost wherever I felt like. My reasons for using the iPhone less are:

1. Almost every traditional use case that I was using on the iPhone is way better on the iPad.  The larger screen, immersiveness, responsiveness, and overall experience is just so much better on the iPad that it makes no sense to perform these tasks on the iPhone anymore

2. I never felt that the iPhone was a useful platform for serious content consumption such as books and digital magazines.  The iPad is.  So now I am consuming digital content that I could not be bothered with previously.  This means that the iPad is in my hands more often.  What would be the point of reverting back to the iPhone for anything but the most essential tasks - like answering the phone.

3. I get all of the above, PLUS the iPad functions perfectly fine as an Ipod as well.  One less reason to pick up the phone.

4. Cloud based services like Evernote and DropBox are a match made in heaven for the iPad.  I can create or modify content without ever again worrying about synching to multiple computers and devices.  So if I have the iPad in my hand anyway, and need to modify a word processing file, I can get it from DropBox, modify it, and be done with it.  No muss, no fuss.

So overall, here you have a device that slides into a lifestyle and just starts subsuming a surprising variety of tasks that used to force one to constantly switch from one device to the next.  It is truly a game changer to have a simple, lightweight, intuitive device that is so good at so many tasks.

One more thing - God help the cookbook publishers that ignore this platform grin.  The iPad is taking over the kitchen now too.  One more reason that other devices don’t stand a chance in my house.

This is not to say that my iPhone is going away.  Having a SmartPhone that is basically compatible with everything I do on the iPad (especially in conjunction with the cloud), is a killer combination for those times when a pocketable device is essential.

• Posted: 03 August 2010 06:07 PM #13

Yes, at home for sure, once I got my hands on the new Ipad, Iphone usage went out the window. Then my wife realized how good the Ipad is, so we fight for usage time.

Recently though I have just gone from 3G to Iphone 4, and what a difference, I am finding due to the amazingly clear Iphone 4 screen, that i have started using the phone again for reading news, watching videos (less fighting with the wife! wink)but also taking photos again due to the new cameras amazing quality and speed compared to old 3G.

I believe the whole Eco system Apple has built here is 2nd to none, everything just works together so simply, ie take photos / movies on Iphone, use iMovie to make a slideshow, then push that across to the iPad for viewing on the larger screen, it just works is simple and looks very impressive to show someone.

So while yes, I use the Iphone less, they are kind of like cheese and crackers, you can eat either one and enjoy the individual tastes, but put them together for a match made in heaven!

• Posted: 03 August 2010 07:07 PM #14

I have had an iPad for 3 weeks and find I continue to use my MacBook. I like tabs in Safari and go through them easily. Saari on the iPad has separate windows that seem to redraw when I call them up.
    I also saved a lot of travel articles from the NYT as a web archive. Transferring them to iDisk, they would not open. And everytime I go to iDisk, the file that did not open pops up and tries again. I have to be quick to get to the directory and choose a file that will open. A nice person on the Apple Discussion site suggested GoodReader which does open the file but it is not a simple process.
    Using the iPad beyond simple activities will take some time to understand and use. Too much use of a computer so far.
    All in all, we prefer our MacBook.

Posted: 04 August 2010 02:33 PM #15

My iPhone has gone from multipurpose to targeted-purpose along with the iPad. The iPhone is the music and social networking pony, the iPad is used for heavy content consumption, collection and review. Music is all on the iPhone (none on iPad). Movies are all on the iPad (none on iPhone). Haven’t figured out how I’m going to split my photos up yet. Probably let faces dump key family members into the iPhone (virtual wallet photos) and have iPad carry the last 18 months of photos and some key events.

There are a couple crossover apps that get constant use on either/both devices, including WeatherBug, Maps, Kindle, Pandora, Remote, AirSharing, and iTapVNC.

So, the iPhone is probably getting the same amount of use, just a different focus of use, “post-iPad”. With all the document consumption I’m doing on the iPad, I’ve actually found myself wanting TWO iPads hung off a single case. This would let me have one display a book (say) on the left, and take notes on the right. Or display two PDFs, a map on one side and hotel reservation screen on the other (“is this hotel close to the client’s office?”), etc.

Perhaps the rumored 7” iPad is actually that new device Apple has mentioned in the job posting. The device will leverage voice control and have two 7” screens so you can run two iAps simultaneously, getting us closer to this. “iPad, launch Maps LEFT, launch Safari RIGHT. MAPS, Display hotels in Washington DC close to PENTAGON. SAFARI, search HILTON hotels is Washington D.C.” The Siri thing is going to be huge as we gain the capability to demand things from our gear.

And this would certainly change how I used my iDevices.

[ Edited: 04 August 2010 03:08 PM by rezonate ]

Signature

Use your powers for good.