My $1,000 iPad Purchase Odyssey (And The Law Of Large Numbers Be Damned)

• Posted: 05 August 2010 06:26 AM #16

I’ll be checking out the new store opening in Covent Garden (London, UK) shortly… I expect it to be just as busy as the flagship store on Regent Street (which I walk past every day to and from work).

Interesting to note on Appleinsider that the Covent Garden store will be larger than the current flagship.  This thing must be enormous.  The rent alone on that store would make your nose bleed!

• Posted: 05 August 2010 09:38 AM #17

Last weekend I spent some time at the Washington Square Mall (Portland, OR), where the iWife and I had gone to buy some new clothes for a vacation.  I finished my shopping long before she did, and I went and sat on a bench outside the Apple store for about 30 minutes.

Packed pandemonium, it was that mid-afternoon.  I went back Sunday morning 5 minutes after they opened to buy a iPad camera connection kit for a friend in Boise who we will be seeing on vacation in the Santa Ynez valley of California.

In fact, I need to go get ready to head to the airport now.

Apple stores rock.  This quarter will rock - the extent to which it will rock will depend on the continuing production ramp on the iPhone 4 and the iPad

• Posted: 07 August 2010 08:00 PM #18

JonathanU - 05 August 2010 09:26 AM

Interesting to note on Appleinsider that the Covent Garden store will be larger than the current flagship.  This thing must be enormous.  The rent alone on that store would make your nose bleed!

Apple is accelerating its retail store openings following a slowdown in the pace of retail store openings during the depths of the Great Recession. I believe management stated a few months ago there’s an incentive in securing new long-term leases now due to relatively slack demand for retail space as the global economy slowly recovers. In other words, today’s economic circumstances create excellent opportunities for enterprises able to self-fund capital expenditures. Long-term leases at more attractive rates than just a few years ago are just one example.

• Posted: 08 August 2010 03:13 PM #19

adamthompson3232 - 08 August 2010 12:24 AM
    DawnTreader - 07 August 2010 11:00 PM
    JonathanU - 05 August 2010 09:26 AM

Apple is accelerating its retail store openings following a slowdown in the pace of retail store openings during the depths of the Great Recession. I believe management stated a few months ago there’s an incentive in securing new long-term leases now due to relatively slack demand for retail space as the global economy slowly recovers. In other words, today’s economic circumstances create excellent opportunities for enterprises able to self-fund capital expenditures. Long-term leases at more attractive rates than just a few years ago are just one example.

The fact that Apple’s stores generate BY FAR the best sales per square foot in all of retail also means that they are contacted by every developer, land owner, and mall owner throughout the world BEGGING them to open a store. This, combined with the weak real estate market, means that Apple is likely getting phenomenal deals in areas with outstanding demos and incredible visibility.

Apple can open as many stores as they want for the foreseeable future and all of them will be wildly successful because they can take their pick from the best locations on the planet and there are literally thousands of them available out there around the world. This won’t change for at least the next 18-24 months.

Apple’s management has stated the company is accelerating the opening of new retail stores due in part due to very attractive leases rates that might not be seen again for another generation. The ROI on these capital investments in long-term lease arrangements at today’s rates must be sensational. These stores will be providing revenue and earnings benefits for years to come so taking advantage of today’s real estate opportunities only improves future results.