70 percent of college freshman are entering school with Macs

Posted: 04 August 2010 05:25 PM

I don’t have a second source for this claim, but an analyst claims that 70% of freshmen are entering college with Macs. That is up 10% to 15% from 2009.  I tracked down an article from Princeton that said that 40% of freshmen were entering with Macs up from 10% in 2003. I remember research I did some time ago that showed that Ivy League schools had higher Mac use than average, so it’s safe to assume that 70% is a minimum figure for Princeton today.

That implies that Mac share at Princeton went as follows:
    2003: 10%
    2007: 40%
    2009: 60%
    2010: 70%

Overall share is probably a bit lower but the trend is unmistakeable. These numbers are starting to look like the Mac is becoming a de-facto standard for the generation soon to enter the job market.

Links here: http://www.asymco.com/2010/08/04/70-percent-of-college-freshman-are-entering-school-with-macs/

Signature

Read more at: Asymco Blog

Posted: 04 August 2010 06:10 PM #1

This is interesting.  For a long time the PC industry was driven by the simple maxim that the lowest price would grab the largest market share.  But that is not true in buying cars or homes or clothing; why should it be true in computers?  The Mac represents reliability, elegant design, reasonable cost, and most of all, acceptance among one’s peers that a good choice was made.  It represents sensibility and social acceptability in much the same sense that buying a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry makes sense*.

*Though I own neither car because I HATE the lack of design sense in these Japanese-designed vehicles.

• Posted: 04 August 2010 06:15 PM #2

I think a machine that lasts the whole three or four years trumps cheap.

Signature

Posted: 04 August 2010 07:01 PM #3

rattyuk - 04 August 2010 09:15 PM

Good point.  I regularly fix up other people’s Dells/Acers/etc who gave it to their kid & it lasted one year - barely. 

I always tell them “You get what you pay for.”

Posted: 04 August 2010 07:54 PM #4

Someone posted a picture of a classroom filled with macs a year or so ago. Obviously the 70% might apply to a few institutions. Any school with a high number of art & entertainment students will have a higher number of Mac students. The differentiation between a Mac and other computers is that you can sell a Mac after a couple of years of ownership. You try to sell an old Window’s computer and see what you get. Macs are sold to people who have the means, Windows computers are sold to the masses. Price dictates everything. If it didn’t we would all be living in million dollar homes and driving a Mercedes.  rolleyes

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 04 August 2010 08:23 PM #5

asymco - 04 August 2010 08:25 PM

I don’t have a second source for this claim, but an analyst claims that 70% of freshmen are entering college with Macs. That is up 10% to 15% from 2009.  I tracked down an article from Princeton that said that 40% of freshmen were entering with Macs up from 10% in 2003. I remember research I did some time ago that showed that Ivy League schools had higher Mac use than average, so it’s safe to assume that 70% is a minimum figure for Princeton today.

That implies that Mac share at Princeton went as follows:
    2003: 10%
    2007: 40%
    2009: 60%
    2010: 70%

Overall share is probably a bit lower but the trend is unmistakeable. These numbers are starting to look like the Mac is becoming a de-facto standard for the generation soon to enter the job market.

Links here: http://www.asymco.com/2010/08/04/70-percent-of-college-freshman-are-entering-school-with-macs/

George Fox University provides a laptop as part of the tuition.  Here are their numbers for Mac usage:

2006 1% (Actively discouraging Macs)
    2007 40% (Change in IT support policies)
    2008 100% (Only option offered)

Posted: 04 August 2010 08:40 PM #6

Zeke, your numbers are mirrored at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy.
    2008: 0% (Dell)
    2009: 25% (15” Macbook Pro issued, incoming freshman subsidize half the cost and 100% of any optional upgrades including printer
    2010: 50% (plus juniors and seniors allowed to replace older Dell with Mac if desired, not sure the financial arrangement).

I expect all 1000 Coast Guard cadets will have macs in the fall of 2012. They come imaged with Bootcamp and the office suite on both partitions, site license allows each student to run one or the other at a time. While the service beyond CGA runs Vista, the cadets are choosing the Mac for email and creative development.

Here are a couple of my boyz! Macs are in the house.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 04 August 2010 08:48 PM #7

My niece started university last year and I was very interested to hear about the freshman Mac penetration—however I ended up disappointed to hear her estimate of only 20-25%. Seeing those famous pictures had me thinking the number would be much higher.  She felt that it was basically a cost issue with students (pc centric parents wouldn’t help either). Still, hearing these numbers and generally seeing more and more Macs showing up in places I didn’t expect still has me feeling a break thru is coming. Windows 7 has pushed past the vista debacle yet nobody seems excited to buy a pc. Getting rid of an old vista machine is one thing, but replacing it with a win7 machine seems mostly driven by cost or merely making the easiest decision. It appears more and more people either have a Mac or want one.

We are so focussed on iPad and iPhone, but does anyone think we could see Mac market share make a big leap in the next couple of years? The young folks are using macs, and the halo effect should help too. What would an optimist put Mac market share at in 2-3 years?

Posted: 04 August 2010 08:58 PM #8

Impressive numbers Univeristy of Virginia tracks usage for incoming freshman.

http://itc.virginia.edu/students/inventory/2009/

Posted: 04 August 2010 09:42 PM #9

All of this talk about Mac’s makes me wonder why there are no commercials on T.V. It seems as though Apple has actually quit promoting the Mac.  :-?

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 04 August 2010 10:02 PM #10

I do miss the creative humor of the “I’m a Mac…..“series. Lord knows Apple can afford it.

• Posted: 04 August 2010 10:17 PM #11

mbeauch - 05 August 2010 12:42 AM

All of this talk about Mac’s makes me wonder why there are no commercials on T.V. It seems as though Apple has actually quit promoting the Mac.  :-?

Excellent point. Makes me think some big campaign is waiting in the wings.

Posted: 04 August 2010 10:25 PM #12

rezonate - 04 August 2010 11:40 PM

Here are a couple of my boyz! Macs are in the house.

Rezonate, I gotta ask. Were you in that video?  LOL

:apple:

Posted: 05 August 2010 04:07 AM #13

mbeauch - 04 August 2010 10:54 PM

Someone posted a picture of a classroom filled with macs a year or so ago. Obviously the 70% might apply to a few institutions. Any school with a high number of art & entertainment students will have a higher number of Mac students. The differentiation between a Mac and other computers is that you can sell a Mac after a couple of years of ownership. You try to sell an old Window’s computer and see what you get. Macs are sold to people who have the means, Windows computers are sold to the masses. Price dictates everything. If it didn’t we would all be living in million dollar homes and driving a Mercedes.  rolleyes

I think that picture (http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/15070/) was in a Journalism school which had stipulated Macs as preferred.  Still, the average classroom looks much more full of glowing Apple logos.

[ Edited: 05 August 2010 04:10 AM by asymco ]

Signature

Posted: 05 August 2010 05:43 AM #14

Keep digging up those data points.  I updated my entry with your input and other data I’ve been able to dig up.

http://wp.me/pWQsq-qM

Current take: Chowdry?s estimate seems an exaggeration but Mac share on campus seems to be growing. The most current data shows a probable 50% penetration in private colleges (my estimation is 70% is accurate for Ivy League schools) but a probable 20% penetration at public schools.  Still way above retail share in the US (10%) and way above corporate share of practically naught.

Signature