Mac OS X, 10.7

• Posted: 07 August 2010 05:25 PM

It’s been about a year since Snow Leopard was commercially released. As we know, it was marketed as a major “under the hood” update and priced accordingly at $29 for a single-user edition.

Consequently, it’s been almost three years since the last commercial release of OS X (Leopard) came to market at what might be considered “full price”.

With media attention focused on Apple’s ultra-mobile and iOS-based devices, there’s little talk or speculation on the next major update to Apple’s desktop operating system. Personally, I think Snow Leopard brought far more to the operating system’s speed, efficiency and usability than Apple has emphasized.

When should we expect the next major update to Mac OS X to be released and what enhancements might it deliver?

Posted: 07 August 2010 07:11 PM #1

I hope not soon.  I just ordered the 10.6 upgrade for my Magic Trackpad.  I’d hate to see a new release announced right after dropping $29 on it.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 07 August 2010 07:27 PM #2

incorrigible - 07 August 2010 10:11 PM

I hope not soon.  I just ordered the 10.6 upgrade for my Magic Trackpad.  I’d hate to see a new release announced right after dropping $29 on it.

Don’t you think the upside to AAPL from a new OS release cover your $29?  Or are you pulling me leg here… grin

• Posted: 07 August 2010 07:47 PM #3

incorrigible - 07 August 2010 10:11 PM

It took the Magic Trackpad for you to buy Snow Leopard? Yet an another example of an Apple hardware piece selling more products. Your MagicTrackpad purchase created an additional 42% of that purchase price in additional revenue for Apple through the purchase of Snow Leopard.

Have you heard of the Apple iPad? Let me tell you, it’s worth every bit of the purchase price. If you buy now, you get a free OS upgrade to iOS4 this fall. Now that’s a bargain.  grin

Posted: 07 August 2010 08:21 PM #4

iPad?  What’s that?  :wink:

It’s not the $29 that bothers me.  Just seems that every time I pull the trigger on something, there’s something new right after that.  I was just being a little facetious about it.

Signature

- Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 07 August 2010 08:41 PM #5

incorrigible - 07 August 2010 11:21 PM

iPad?  What’s that?  :wink:

It’s not the $29 that bothers me.  Just seems that every time I pull the trigger on something, there’s something new right after that.  I was just being a little facetious about it.

Roughly $19.60 of your purchases will flow directly to the FQ4 net income line. Mercel and I thank you.  :wink:

Posted: 07 August 2010 10:02 PM #6

LOL  Add it to the spreadsheet.

Signature

- Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 07 August 2010 10:37 PM #7

I’m not exactly sure if Snow Leopard made things dramatically better for my iMac…but it didn’t make anything worse, at least. 

It’s a bit like the Retina Display…there’s new tech there for developers to take advantage of down the road, but at the same time, it’s up to those developers to put in the work so not only Apple’s own apps have improved performance.  I’m now aware of any third-party apps that really take advantage of 10.6.

10.7 is bound to be the “new features” release, and I’d say Apple has until WWDC 2011 before the pundits start wondering if Apple’s all iOS and nothing else.  I’d predict a release date of October/November 2011, possibly October 2012.  I’d like to see more emphasis on GPGPU computing and working with super-high-resolution graphics and displays, as well as the usual better security.  Heck, throw in Voice Control and other iOS goodies while you’re at it.  Which OS do you know can interpret something like “set calendar appointment for dentist next week, 3:00PM, on Thursday” and…actually do that?  Today’s computers have certainly had the raw ability for quite some time.

[ Edited: 08 August 2010 04:22 AM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 August 2010 01:31 PM #8

Mav - 08 August 2010 01:37 AM

Heck, throw in Voice Control and other iOS goodies while you’re at it.  Which OS do you know can interpret something like “set calendar appointment for dentist next week, 3:00PM, on Thursday” and…actually do that?  Today’s computers have certainly had the raw ability for quite some time.

A lot of features are held back because of work environment factors. Voice control for your computer at home would be a nice option. But in an office full of computers? Or even while you’re sitting with your laptop in a public setting (airport, coffee shop) it can get pretty noisy. Voice dictation software (MacSpeech’s variant of Dragon’s engine, for example) is pretty marvelous, especially if you’re not a touch typist. But one needs to overcome the self consciousness factor, and that’s when you’re alone. Dictating correspondence in an open office would not only make one self conscious, there is the added inaccuracy due to the continuous babble going on around you. There is a lot of potential in our computers that goes untapped. Same for our brains.

Posted: 08 August 2010 07:57 PM #9

I would counter that voice control for cel phones is everywhere - and the lack of discretion at movie theaters still reigns, so self-consciousness may not be as big a factor.  Macs are popular with consumers, so even if the feature will only be mostly used at home doesn’t mean it can’t have tremendous value (which would be multiplied by MobileMe/push/sync services).

All Macs have audio/video recording devices on them now, as with most laptop PCs, and they’re still accepted in the enterprise.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 08 August 2010 08:12 PM #10

Mav - 08 August 2010 10:57 PM

I would counter that voice control for cel phones is everywhere - and the lack of discretion at movie theaters still reigns, so self-consciousness may not be as big a factor.  Macs are popular with consumers, so even if the feature will only be mostly used at home doesn’t mean it can’t have tremendous value (which would be multiplied by MobileMe/push/sync services).

All Macs have audio/video recording devices on them now, as with most laptop PCs, and they’re still accepted in the enterprise.

Mav not sure if your aware but OS X already supports speakable commands and text to speech.  It is not the full monte like the speech dictation of Dragon but it can do system level stuff like responding to things like what time is it?  If you go to system preferences and Speech you can can turn it on and play around.  I agree that voice commands tied in with the AI natural language parser of the SIRI product will be a likely candidate for 10.7 so we can ask the system more real-world questions and then sit back and wait while the computer crawls the web and formulates a response.

• Posted: 09 August 2010 11:43 PM #11

I’m guessing one of the following:
    - Previewed in early 2011, final version released at WWDC 2011.
    - Previewed at WWDC 2011, shipping late fall on new Macs in time for Christmas 2011 sales.

What will it include? That’s a tough call, with one major exception: FaceTime will undoubtedly be a “tentpole feature.” I wouldn’t be surprised to see some revamping of Mail, iCal, Address Book and iChat, so that they are more tightly integrated, and a FaceTime chat can be initiated from within any of them. By then FaceTime should be pretty well established in iPhones, iPods and iPads, and its inclusion on the desktop will give users one more reason to buy a Mac.

[ Edited: 09 August 2010 11:49 PM by David Nelson ]