AAPL Intraday Updates (Archive)

Posted: 11 August 2010 11:21 AM #31

Put in a bid for some 2012 $360 calls.  Might catch another dip to trigger.

That FUD piece on Jobs’ health prognosis is unreal.  rolleyes

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 11 August 2010 11:25 AM #32

rattyuk - 11 August 2010 02:19 PM
    zulu - 11 August 2010 02:12 PM

FUD hits a new low

After 12 paragraphs of nudge nudge wink wink he says:

Here it is: Many, many, many people who pride themselves on a hard and shrewd level of realism believe that Steve Jobs is a goner. They believe that after treatments and transplants and the ministrations of spin doctors, he?s a goner still.

I remember somebody telling me that pickles cause death because 99% of the people that eat pickles die within 100 years.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

• Posted: 11 August 2010 11:33 AM #33

Play Ultimate - 11 August 2010 02:25 PM

I remember somebody telling me that pickles cause death because 99% of the people that eat pickles die within 100 years.  rolleyes

And life is a sexually transmitted disease that is 100% fatal.

Signature

• Posted: 11 August 2010 12:24 PM #34

artman1033 - 11 August 2010 02:54 PM

I am pretty sure they said that about carrots.

What am I going to do with 49 quarts of canned dill pickles?

Finger buffet for Vegas?

Signature

Posted: 11 August 2010 12:32 PM #35

As promised…

Apple II+ - 09 August 2010 06:25 PM

Andy Zaky article from Fortune online: A lesson in how not to value Apple

excerpt:

So just because a stock has strong fundamentals, just because it is undervalued based on widely accepted metrics, or just because everyone has $300 to $400 price targets doesn’t mean that the stock will see those levels in any short or intermediate term time frame. Instead, the only advantage available to investors is having a long-term viewpoint of the markets. Apple is probably worth $400 a share ? but only in the long term. The only thing one can say with any degree of confidence is that Apple will probably see much higher levels some time within the next few years.

Keeping these reservations in mind, I’ll be offering a thorough fundamental analysis of the company.

Andy Zaky’s follow-up from Fortune online: Valuing Apple at $400 per share

excerpt:

If there is one thing that readers should take away from this article it’s that you should never fight Wall Street’s valuation metrics. Instead of relying on some alternative way to value the company to determine future price targets, embrace the market’s valuation but beat it on the earnings front. While the market might continue to give Apple an 18 to 20 trailing P/E ratio well into the future despite Apple’s enormous cash holdings and robust 50-70% growth rate, the one thing that is not determined by the market is the earnings variable of the P/E ratio.

For example, let’s suppose that Apple continues to trade at a 19 to 20 trailing P/E come October 2011. Right now Wall Street analysts are modeling for Apple to earn roughly $17.50 in EPS. At that earnings level, Apple would be trading between $332 and $350, assuming a 19 or 20 multiple. Yet, nearly every independent analyst knows Apple will probably earn about $20 in EPS in 2011.

This is where investors can forecast a more realistic and achievable price target. Based on $20 in EPS for fiscal 2011, Apple should be trading between $380 and $400 in late 2011 or early 2012 assuming a multiple of 20. This price target beats the Street by nearly $70 and presents a conservative, simple, and straightforward analysis of Apple’s valuation.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 11 August 2010 02:07 PM #36

Well I stll think we will see 300 in Jan or
    April.  We should be happy to see 265 in Oct.

WS keeps dropping the p/e.  Please look at the last two years.  We are going backwards on p/e while earnings is exploding.  We are only 23% higher in stock price then we were in Dec 2007. The trip thru the wilderness may last two more years.  Luckily for us Apple is making hot products and we have reached a tipping point with Macs.

Posted: 11 August 2010 02:18 PM #37

omacvi - 11 August 2010 05:07 PM

WS keeps dropping the p/e.  Please look at the last two years.  We are going backwards on p/e while earnings is exploding.  We are only 23% higher in stock price then we were in Dec 2007. The trip thru the wilderness may last two more years.  Luckily for us Apple is making hot products and we have reached a tipping point with Macs.

omacvi, let me get this straight: you expect AAPL to set new highs during a period of time that foreclosure will peak and seasonal employment is at its lowest? The only way it could happen is if everybody goes bonkers and buys everything. But they won’t because everyones’ portfolios are shrinking. Shrinking investments sets consumer sentiment.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:17 PM #38

Ahh yes, weeks of being angry that Apple was stuck at $260.

Now, in only a few short hours, $260 looks oh so beautiful.

Fun times!

(sarcasm heavily implied)

• Posted: 11 August 2010 04:23 PM #39

iOS 4.02 is out, fixing the PDF security hole and sending jailbreakers scurrying for shelter.

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:45 PM #40

rmhe1999 - 11 August 2010 07:17 PM

Ahh yes, weeks of being angry that Apple was stuck at $260.

Now, in only a few short hours, $260 looks oh so beautiful.

Fun times!

(sarcasm heavily implied)

Just back where we were a month ago.  rolleyes

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:48 PM #41

willrob - 11 August 2010 07:23 PM

iOS 4.02 is out, fixing the PDF security hole and sending jailbreakers scurrying for shelter.

Thanks for the heads up! A little good news on an otherwise shitty day.

• Posted: 11 August 2010 04:53 PM #42

August Max Pain is now at $250.  My, what a coincidence!

Posted: 11 August 2010 04:55 PM #43

Eric Landstrom - 11 August 2010 05:18 PM
    omacvi - 11 August 2010 05:07 PM

omacvi, let me get this straight: you expect AAPL to set new highs during a period of time that foreclosure will peak and seasonal employment is at its lowest? The only way it could happen is if everybody goes bonkers and buys everything. But they won’t because everyones’ portfolios are shrinking. Shrinking investments sets consumer sentiment.

Yes for several reasons.  We set new highs this year and the economy sucks.  Secondly the stock market set new highs in in the late 90’s while the housing market was in the dumps.  Forclosures only hurts banks and decreases the prospects of serious growth.  I still think the economy will grow the market along.  Not strongly but growth never the less. 90% of people are working but 100% all consume things. Unless the population is shrinking we should grow.

By the way aapl was at this level on May 24, and April 16.  We are going along for a nice drive thru WS hell.

• Posted: 11 August 2010 06:13 PM #44

AAPL collapsing again AH now 246-247.  WTF

• Posted: 11 August 2010 06:19 PM #45

thealct - 11 August 2010 09:13 PM

AAPL collapsing again AH now 246-247.  WTF

Cisco outlook “soft”. Could this be the reason?

Signature