Madden NFL 11 on the iPad

Posted: 09 August 2010 11:47 AM

For the first time, Electronic Arts is launching mobile versions of its popular Madden football game on devices like Apple?s iPhone and iPad on the same day as the full console version of the game.

The Redwood City, Calif., videogame maker said ?Madden NFL 11? will go on sale on Tuesday. It is expected to be priced at $7.99 for the iPhone version and $12.99 for the iPad version, compared to $59.99 for the console game.

Interesting to see how/if this boosts iPad gaming which appears to be a little lacking currently.  Someone download this bad boy when released and let us know.  SNIPUS perhaps?  Plays into your ERTS strategy.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 09 August 2010 11:51 PM #1

adamthompson3232 - 09 August 2010 03:07 PM

The pricing differential alone b/t the iOs devices and standard console versions shows the disruptive nature of the iOs ecosystem.

Excellent observation.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 01:17 AM #2

This is excellent.  grin

I’m a bit (pleasantly) surprised at the aggressive pricing. I suspect they are looking for heavy consumer uptake at launch.

• Posted: 10 August 2010 11:56 AM #3

With the number of iPhones and iPads out there, this may be a way to get a cheaper version into many more hands and have people try it and like it and buy it for their console. My guess is that anyone that is used to playing these types of games on a bigger screen type of device will not just go with a portable version and they will still go out and buy the more expensive version. If I am wrong and there is serious cannibalization of the console version, my guess is that this will be the last version they release for these portable devices.

Anyway, it is fun to speculate.

Neal

• Posted: 10 August 2010 11:38 PM #4

nealg - 10 August 2010 02:56 PM

My guess is that anyone that is used to playing these types of games on a bigger screen type of device will not just go with a portable version and they will still go out and buy the more expensive version. If I am wrong and there is serious cannibalization of the console version, my guess is that this will be the last version they release for these portable devices.

Not so fast.  grin

With the explosive growth of iOS device sales (over 100 million to date), there’s really no turning back even if some cannibalization of console games occurs. This is too large a market to be ignored and console game sales haven’t been spectacular as of late.

Aside from all that, I may just buy this game for the iPad and I’m not exactly a console game consumer.

• Posted: 17 August 2010 01:13 PM #5

I can say that as a casual gamer, the prices of console games have kept me away from them completely. $60 for a game? Please. However the iPod Touch has made me buy the first video games I have gotten in many years. This could be a good trend.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 18 August 2010 08:36 PM #6

incorrigible - 09 August 2010 02:47 PM

For the first time, Electronic Arts is launching mobile versions of its popular Madden football game on devices like Apple?s iPhone and iPad on the same day as the full console version of the game.

The Redwood City, Calif., videogame maker said ?Madden NFL 11? will go on sale on Tuesday. It is expected to be priced at $7.99 for the iPhone version and $12.99 for the iPad version, compared to $59.99 for the console game.

Interesting to see how/if this boosts iPad gaming which appears to be a little lacking currently.  Someone download this bad boy when released and let us know.  SNIPUS perhaps?  Plays into your ERTS strategy.

Sorry Incorrigible but I dumped ERTS some time ago and went to cash. Until early this am all I had was some Goldcorp (GG)call options… got back in some AAPL but not all in. As for ERTS I was disappointed in their pricing (too high imo) of games out of the gate. Superior product was being outsold by competitor with lower price points. $14.99 for NFS was wrong.

• Posted: 19 August 2010 10:34 AM #7

Meanwhile GME hits the skids this morning after disappointing the Street. This is not good news for video game makers as we head toward the holiday quarter.