Apple iPad Productivity Tools

• Posted: 21 August 2010 05:16 PM

I’m planning on using my Apple iPad at work and in a way that allows me to organize projects and related tasks. I’m looking for recommendations on the best iPad apps to accomplish these goals.

I’ve viewed OmniFocus for the iPad and I’m wondering if it’s worth the $39.99 admission price for use as a stand-alone solution.

Recommendations on task and project organizers for the iPad would be appreciated.

• Posted: 21 August 2010 11:16 PM #1

DawnTreader - 21 August 2010 08:16 PM

I’m planning on using my Apple iPad at work and in a way that allows me to organize projects and related tasks. I’m looking for recommendations on the best iPad apps to accomplish these goals.

I’ve viewed OmniFocus for the iPad and I’m wondering if it’s worth the $39.99 admission price for use as a stand-alone solution.

Recommendations on task and project organizers for the iPad would be appreciated.

I too love organizational tools so I will monitor this thread with great interest.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with Omnifocus on the iPad. But in a different vein, I have used iThought - a mindmap program available for both the iPhone and the iPad. I don’t think this is the direction you were looking in, but just in case you or someone else were interested in mindmaping tools, I wanted to point out that it’s a very well thought out program. Surprising good and very well executed.

Posted: 21 August 2010 11:50 PM #2

The challenge of course is everyone has a different organization style.  For a notes collection tool. I would recommend Evernote , they have a iPad, IPhone & Web version free and premium paid.  For notes mark-up you could try Noterize,  and for project lists and to do try toodledo.

Posted: 22 August 2010 09:05 AM #3

Sorry I gave incorrect information

[ Edited: 22 August 2010 09:09 AM by DavidH ]      
  • Posted: 22 August 2010 03:10 PM #4

Thank you for the recommendations. I’ll be looking at each of the suggested solutions later today.  grin

• Posted: 22 August 2010 05:12 PM #5

Maybe not a business tool, but GoodReader is a tremendous addition to my daily iPad life. For me it is the best document manager out there: be it organizing documents in folders, turning your iPad into a wireless server in your network, downloading files (PDF, zip, jpg, etc.) from the web. It even unzips and zips.

• Posted: 22 August 2010 05:33 PM #6

Do you use DropBox?  I find it indispensable for my environment that now includes editing and work on three machines - Home Mac, Work Mac, and now iPad.  Keeping everything in synch was a mess prior to DropBox.

Posted: 22 August 2010 06:09 PM #7

An interesting discussion on productivity and I would also give my concurrence on Good Reader and Dropbox.  What I find amazing is the cost to build a document workflow for an iPad.  You can have a viable solution for under $50.  The Apps mentioned IMO are priced such that you’ll spend more on the productivity lost learning the App then any App cost.  The whole concept of the iPad can’t be used as a content creator presupposes that most folks spend the majority of their day creating content when in fact we spend much greater time, managing, researching and searching for information.  The iPad is opening up new possibilities for your work flow.  I have found myself changing how I accomplish tasks now that the iPad is available.  Content creation normal is done on my main system because of screen real-estate but any task requiring quick look or mobile is perfectly suited to the iPad.

[ Edited: 22 August 2010 06:23 PM by pats ]      
  • Posted: 22 August 2010 06:13 PM #8

One more thing on DropBox.  Both of my Mac’s also have virtualized PC’s - a necessary evil in my work environment.  So in fact I have 5 machines.  They all use DropBox and provide huge simplification in my work flow.

• Posted: 23 August 2010 01:00 AM #9

Lstream - 22 August 2010 08:33 PM

Do you use DropBox?  I find it indispensable for my environment that now includes editing and work on three machines - Home Mac, Work Mac, and now iPad.  Keeping everything in synch was a mess prior to DropBox.

DropBox looks interesting. I might try it this week.

In the meantime I’ve downloaded Evernote for iPad.

• Posted: 23 August 2010 01:40 PM #10

I’m using Dropbox now. It sure is a better solution to carrying around flash drives between work and home.  grin

• Posted: 23 August 2010 03:48 PM #11

I likewise use dropbox.

Dan Bricklin’s NoteTaker HD is fabulous.  Leads that genre by a mile from what I know.

• Posted: 23 August 2010 04:05 PM #12

Elements (text editor) integrates with DropBox automatically.

Posted: 23 August 2010 08:13 PM #13

I have Omnifocus for both iPhone and iPad. Used the beta for Mac until they started charging. All three devices ($80+$20+$40) is a little steep for me. I hope the iPad version will cure me of my longing for the Mac version again. The GTD implementation is nice because you can organize by contexts, so your home office tasks stay separate from your home chores tasks, for example. If your workplace has several contexts you can split things up that way too, or nest contexts like folders: I have three work contexts that can be viewed together or for just one of them. I like the ability to create recurring to do’s so my quarterly tasks pop up, um, each quarter, but stay hidden until the timeframes I preselected. First Wednesday of the month, fourth Friday in July, any recurrence you need. They have a nice map view that is location aware, so you can plot out your shopping trip (provided you establish each store or location as a context and link each purchase task accordingly). That last might seem a bit extreme but the software makes it fairly easy once you set things up. You can sync via your own server or with mobile me, to keep your iPad synced to your iPhone.

I also picked up good reader and already had Air Sharing, another “wireless flash drive” app. Will work on testing GoodReader soon as a replacement for AirSharing. Airsharing is nice because it lets me browse FTP and webdav servers like mobile me. Also picked up CineXPlayer for video demos in non-apple formats, if ever needed. iTapVNC is how I control remote macs. Still not convinced I need an FTP upload program.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 25 August 2010 12:59 PM #14

I am looking for a an effective work task organizer for the iPad. Any recommendations?

• Posted: 28 August 2010 05:33 PM #15

I just purchased Manage by kerofrog.

This app looks downright cool and the $2.99 admission price appears to be worth the investment. I’ll be putting this product through its paces in the coming weeks.I’ve been looking for a decent GTD app for awhile and I’m settling on this one to try.