Favorite iPad Apps

• Posted: 23 August 2010 01:48 PM

We all know the importance of apps and app sales to the iOS product economy. The release of the Apple iPad has opened a new avenue for app sales and a new dimension for app development.

What are your favorite iPad apps?

• Posted: 23 August 2010 01:52 PM #1

Yesterday I purchased SketchBook Pro for iPad by Autodesk at the promotional price of $4.99.

I started working with it last night. I’m impressed.  grin

Posted: 23 August 2010 02:22 PM #2

DawnTreader - 23 August 2010 04:52 PM

Yesterday I purchased SketchBook Pro for iPad by Autodesk at the promotional price of $4.99.

I started working with it last night. I’m impressed.  grin

If your looking for cheap (free).  Adobe our favorite has Adobe ideas.
    Since I’m talking up Adobe we have Photoshop Express (free) for fixing photos but I also like Photogene ($3.99).

Posted: 23 August 2010 02:25 PM #3

IMDB

I keep my iPad handy when I’m watching TV. Either during a movie or a TV Show, I want to know who an actor is and what else they’ve played. Nice little app.

• Posted: 23 August 2010 02:28 PM #4

My most used iPad apps:

Netflix
    Simplenote
    Dropbox
    Flipboard
    Safari (we forget about the built in apps but I now only surf the web on my iPad)

• Posted: 24 August 2010 12:40 AM #5

My favorite iPad apps are:

- GoodReader - PDF reader, MobileMe and Dropbox access
    - Instapaper Pro - The iPad?s big screen makes for a much nicer reading experience
    - BBC News - The Beeb knows how to make a great news app
    - NPR - Nice interface, access to lots of NPR content
    - Words HD - Words with Friends so so much better on the iPad screen
    - TWC Max+ - The Weather Channel app for the iPad

[Link deleted by DT]

[ Edited: 24 August 2010 12:47 AM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 24 August 2010 05:53 PM #6

I just installed Dropbox on the devices I use most frequently. It’s a convenient solution for moving documents between devices.

• Posted: 25 August 2010 08:45 AM #7

Just a quick word for AirVideo. If you’re in the house and want to watch all those video formats that “can’t be played on an iPod” such as AVIs or MK4s then AirVideo will stream them to the iPad from your PC or Mac. It converts them “on the fly” and is pretty impressive.

It does have an extra advantage too. You can also use the App to convert these “difficult” formats to native iPad videos that can be transferred to the iPad for plane journeys etc. There is a free version but the paid version is worth it.

Signature

Posted: 25 August 2010 10:36 AM #8

rattyuk - 25 August 2010 11:45 AM

Just a quick word for AirVideo. If you’re in the house and want to watch all those video formats that “can’t be played on an iPod” such as AVIs or MK4s then AirVideo will stream them to the iPad from your PC or Mac. It converts them “on the fly” and is pretty impressive.

It does have an extra advantage too. You can also use the App to convert these “difficult” formats to native iPad videos that can be transferred to the iPad for plane journeys etc. There is a free version but the paid version is worth it.

I also give five stars for AirVideo.

Signature

The study of money, above all other fields in economics, is one in which complexity is used to disguise truth or to evade truth, not to reveal it. The process by which banks create money is so simple the mind is repelled.

• Posted: 25 August 2010 10:39 AM #9

macglenn - 25 August 2010 01:36 PM

The iPad can be plugged into a TV with the Apple Video cables. Is the AirVideo quality good enough for the larger display?

• Posted: 25 August 2010 01:02 PM #10

I’m actually considering the iPad VGA cables as a means to make presentations. Has anyone worked with this as a solution yet?

Posted: 25 August 2010 09:00 PM #11

macglenn - 25 August 2010 01:36 PM

Nice one!!

Got the free version wondering what the limitation was. You’re limited to three directories/files per folder. Full version $2.99.

• Posted: 25 August 2010 09:19 PM #12

DropBox is great, thanks to Wheeles…where is he anyway?

• Posted: 25 August 2010 09:22 PM #13

DawnTreader - 25 August 2010 04:02 PM

I’m actually considering the iPad VGA cables as a means to make presentations. Has anyone worked with this as a solution yet?

Following up om that thought, is anyone here using their iPad for presentations and, if so, what software are you using and how do you like it?

Posted: 25 August 2010 10:35 PM #14

FalKirk - 26 August 2010 12:22 AM
    DawnTreader - 25 August 2010 04:02 PM

Following up om that thought, is anyone here using their iPad for presentations and, if so, what software are you using and how do you like it?

I just ordered 30 iPads plus accessories as an ‘electronic book bag’ pilot for a military classroom. Also got 5 VGA cables for our classrooms. Will report back on our experience. Might break the running commentary into another thread or series of blog posts. Meanwhile will be reading this: http://ipad4edu.com/

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 26 August 2010 12:36 AM #15

I?m completely biased, but my own app is my favorite, though not yet optimized for the iPad.  (free test sample available via Private Message, no purchase required) e.g.“Top 10 Best Free iPad Apps” from iFunia ipad column.

Signature

If you love me. you’ll love this blog: http://www.ifunia.com/news/