Remember the discussion re Android-fueled chaos?

• Posted: 23 August 2010 08:27 PM

I (and others) speculated that handset manufacturers will endure chaos due to a third party independently driving OS functionality, release dates, etc.  That is coming true

Android chaos

• Posted: 24 August 2010 12:43 AM #1

The growth of the smartphone market through mass adoption of Android handsets only makes the ground for future iPhone sales more fertile.

Posted: 24 August 2010 02:52 AM #2

Great article. One does get the impression that Android users will have a very similar experience to what they got from Windows.

Fortunately, the switching costs for mobile platforms are lower. My take on switching costs for PC users is that they are based on four factors:
    1. the installed software users may have purchased
    2. the knowledge of how to use the product (familiarity)
    3. the other users who could help with maintenance
    4. hardware depreciation rate (don’t throw away a computer that still works)

Android software is mostly free and probably has equivalent versions in iOS, and the other factors are non-starters for Android -> iOS switching in a year or two.

Signature

Read more at: Asymco Blog

• Posted: 24 August 2010 03:51 PM #3

Dell just threw (up) their hat in the ring with an older Android OS phone.

As the comments suggest, this may be an example of ATT trying to beef up their smartphone line-up prior to the iPhone exclusivity vanishing.

• Posted: 24 August 2010 04:42 PM #4

asymco - 24 August 2010 05:52 AM

Great article. One does get the impression that Android users will have a very similar experience to what they got from Windows.

Fortunately, the switching costs for mobile platforms are lower. My take on switching costs for PC users is that they are based on four factors:
    1. the installed software users may have purchased
    2. the knowledge of how to use the product (familiarity)
    3. the other users who could help with maintenance
    4. hardware depreciation rate (don’t throw away a computer that still works)

Android software is mostly free and probably has equivalent versions in iOS, and the other factors are non-starters for Android -> iOS switching in a year or two.

As I’ve said, the more people buying Android handsets today the more fertile the ground for iPhone sales two years from now.

• Posted: 24 August 2010 04:43 PM #5

willrob - 24 August 2010 06:51 PM

As the comments suggest, this may be an example of ATT trying to beef up their smartphone line-up prior to the iPhone exclusivity vanishing.

The reason for the older version of Android?

Posted: 24 August 2010 04:56 PM #6

DawnTreader - 24 August 2010 07:43 PM
    willrob - 24 August 2010 06:51 PM

The reason for the older version of Android?

Not to bad mouth Dell but two things stood out.  The end user pays $100 on contract vs $300 off.  If we look at Apple.  They have a $100 phone on contract and $500 off.  Guess who is commanding the better subsidy.  The second thing.  To compete at the end of 2010 with Android 1.6 with a phone equipped with 2009 technology seems like a non-starter to me in the US market.  I can have an iPhone 3GS with iOS 4 features.  What is the draw verse Droid 2 or Droid X, or HTC Droid.  Surely not price.

• Posted: 26 August 2010 10:25 AM #7

Facebook app dev slams ?horrible? Android

August 26, 2010 at 5:06 am

Facebook app developer, Joe Hewitt, famously lambasted Apple for being too controlling with its App Store review process ? now he?s dissing Google, calling Android dev tools ?hideous?.

In a series of hyper-critical Tweets he says, ?Android tools are horrendous, OS is hideous??

Other criticisms inside his veritable torrent of tantrum Tweets include:

* ?[Droid X is] not THAT good. Stick with your iPhone.?
      * ?Once a day or so it hits me that I am writing Java, and I cry a little,?
      * ?The more I work with Android the more it reminds me of Windows?as in, it?s really flexible, agnostic, and developer-friendly, but also really sloppily designed.?

Apple?s iOS wins a mention, but not in a good light, the developer notes, ??but the absence of big brother telling me what to do gives it a slight edge.?

Posted: 26 August 2010 11:36 AM #8

And in two months, all these Droid X, Droid, and Droid 2 users will have FroYo with Flash. Meanwhile, iOS users won’t have Flash.

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again. Where is map-aware voice activated navigation? Where is gesture search for searching through 500 contacts? Where is handing my call off to my laptop when I get in the house? Where is transcribed voicemail?

• Posted: 26 August 2010 12:08 PM #9

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 02:36 PM

And in two months, all these Droid X, Droid, and Droid 2 users will have FroYo with Flash. Meanwhile, iOS users won’t have Flash.

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again. Where is map-aware voice activated navigation? Where is gesture search for searching through 500 contacts? Where is handing my call off to my laptop when I get in the house? Where is transcribed voicemail?

I tried a Droid 2. It was a UI mess. No thanks. Had all the earmarks of a rush job.

You’re falling into the tech-geek-narcissism trap where you believe the features YOU value must be valued by everyone. I don’t care about Flash so it is not a selling point (reviews like this http://blog.laptopmag.com/mobile-flash-fail-weak-android-player-proves-jobs-right aren’t helping). Handing off a call to a laptop? So what, I don’t have a laptop so that isn’t a selling point either (I don’t need to talk to someone on my MacPro).

I don’t have an iPhone or a Droid phone because no one sells a smart phone with just wifi and no data plan. So for me, none of them work because the cost of ownership is too high, but of course your mileage may vary.

It looks like some developers aren’t happy and that Android isn’t living up to all the hype, and that’s interesting.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 26 August 2010 12:15 PM #10

And you know what? It doesn’t matter. You were banging this drum all day yesterday on the front page so now you thought you’d come here and wind up the shareholders? Excellent.

The real problem with Flash on the iOS is that it doesn’t exist.
    Apple asked for a working Flash to be delivered for the iPhone but Adobe couldn’t do it.
    If Adobe could do it how come they didn’t release it as a jailbroken app and prove Jobs wrong? Because it doesn’t exist.

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again.

You obviously don’t know anything about preaching to the converted do you Brad? Do you really think that iPhone user would suddenly say OMFG it’s Flash! On a phone! How awesome? Really? You are so blinded by your own beliefs that you really can’t understand what it is people see in their iPhones as opposed to your “clone as much as we can and then start adding more features” phone?

Where is map-aware voice activated navigation? Where is gesture search for searching through 500 contacts? Where is handing my call off to my laptop when I get in the house? Where is transcribed voicemail?

Who cares? Bosco and a few other geeks.You got pretty much slapped down yesterday on the main page. What is the point of all this? Really Bosco? What is the point of this pissing match? What does it add to shareholder value? Or are you arguing that Apple is so dead? If so then say it. You will get pretty much taken down here too.

Signature

Posted: 26 August 2010 12:15 PM #11

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again.

Really? One of my friends went to Android and after a week went back to the iPhone 3G that he had. He is now trying to get an iPhone. As for Flash, the reviews of Flash on Android isn’t that good. If you are really that despriate to get Flash, you can always get it through the jailbreak app.

Posted: 26 August 2010 12:15 PM #12

FlipFriddle - 26 August 2010 03:08 PM

I don’t have an iPhone or a Droid phone because no one sells a smart phone with just wifi and no data plan. So for me, none of them work because the cost of ownership is too high, but of course your mileage may vary.

I can’t remember who said it above, but some you might be falling into a “tech-geek-narcissism trap where you believe the features YOU value must be valued by everyone”.

Smart phones have data plans. That’s kinda the point.

• Posted: 26 August 2010 12:22 PM #13

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 03:15 PM

you might be falling into a “tech-geek-narcissism trap where you believe the features YOU value must be valued by everyone”.

ha ha ha
    ha ha ha ha ha
    hahahahahahahahahahaha

That’s pretty rich.

Signature

Posted: 26 August 2010 12:27 PM #14

I just don’t get the allure of Flash.  Most of the Flash content on the PC is irritating ads and on my cell phone, I have tons of video & games available through Apps.  Why would it be so great to have Flash?  Now that Android is getting Flash, I can’t wait to hear about all the great things iPhone users are missing because we are in a walled garden.  Not like a developer can’t learn Xcode.  Flash 10.1 for the cell phone will be great for Flash developers who want to target their software to non-Apple mobile and don’t want to learn HTML 5.

• Posted: 26 August 2010 12:42 PM #15

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 03:15 PM

Smart phones have data plans. That’s kinda the point.

Really? Why? I thought Android was about choice? I can’t afford a data plan, but I enjoy the ability of having a wi-fi enabled device in my pocket (like my iPod Touch) to check email occasionally and view the web. I wish I didn’t have to carry around two devices, and I’m hoping someone will sell something like that. Perhaps others feel the same way? Why not sell someone a phone and then once they like the device try and sell them additional services (like a data plan)?. Seems like a business opportunity to me.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).