Remember the discussion re Android-fueled chaos?

Posted: 26 August 2010 12:57 PM #16

DawnTreader - 24 August 2010 07:42 PM

... the more people buying Android handsets today the more fertile the ground for iPhone sales two years from now.

We heard you loud and clear, and would be monitoring this assertion, although I don’t know how to verify, perhaps, you would to do a self-evaluation two years later.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 26 August 2010 01:14 PM #17

FlipFriddle - 26 August 2010 03:42 PM
    Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 03:15 PM

Smart phones have data plans. That’s kinda the point.

Really? Why? I thought Android was about choice? I can’t afford a data plan, but I enjoy the ability of having a wi-fi enabled device in my pocket (like my iPod Touch) to check email occasionally and view the web. I wish I didn’t have to carry around two devices, and I’m hoping someone will sell something like that. Perhaps others feel the same way? Why not sell someone a phone and then once they like the device try and sell them additional services (like a data plan)?. Seems like a business opportunity to me.

I’ve an iPhone.  What I really want is a prepaid smartphone without a data plan.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 26 August 2010 03:42 PM #18

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 02:36 PM

And in two months, all these Droid X, Droid, and Droid 2 users will have FroYo with Flash. Meanwhile, iOS users won’t have Flash.

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again. Where is map-aware voice activated navigation? Where is gesture search for searching through 500 contacts? Where is handing my call off to my laptop when I get in the house? Where is transcribed voicemail?

I try not to get into arguing about things that are purely subjective. You like your Android phone and I’m happy for you. Further, I’ve heard excellent things about Android’s use of voice and I’m hoping that Apple’s purchase of Siri means that they are integrating voice activated artificial intelligence for the iPhone.

However, while you are entitled to your own opinion, you are not entitled to your own facts. The fact is that the iPhone receives far greater customer satisfaction ratings than any other phone, including any Andrid phone. That is a fact and your opinion cannot change it.

Further, studies have shown that many Andrid users are intending to make an iPhone their next phone while very few iPhone users intend to make Android their next phone. This pretty much negates your whole “if you used it” argument. Not only does it negate your argument, but it reverses it. The truth is that those who have used both an iPhone and an Android device, on the whole, prefer the iPhone.

Sharing different points of view helps everyone sharpen their focus and hone their thoughts. But relying on factually disprovable premises as the basis of one’s argument helps no one.

• Posted: 27 August 2010 12:50 AM #19

Bosco (Brad Hutchings) - 26 August 2010 02:36 PM

And in two months, all these Droid X, Droid, and Droid 2 users will have FroYo with Flash. Meanwhile, iOS users won’t have Flash.

If any of you actually tried a good Android 2.2 handset for a week, you’d never start up your iPhone again. Where is map-aware voice activated navigation? Where is gesture search for searching through 500 contacts? Where is handing my call off to my laptop when I get in the house? Where is transcribed voicemail?

From a financial standpoint all of the Android handsets haven’t pulled VZ out of the doldrums. All they’ve done is help service providers put pressure on handset makers to cut margins due to the proliferation of handsets and makers. No matter the Droid hoopla, VZ still disappointed the Street on earnings.

Google has said its future is Chrome, not Android. Android is a competent smartphone handset. But until the OS provides a means for handset makers to thrive and assists VZ from being surpassed as the #1 domestic wireless services provider, its long-term value is questionable and its long-term future in doubt.

We’ll see what the Android app market returns in real dollars to developers. It doesn’t matter how many apps are available. It matters whether or not the Android app economy can produce results for a company other than Google and do so in such a way that it proves to be a viable alternative or at least a reasonable competitor to the iOS app economy.

Flash? Who cares? I certainly don’t miss it on either the iPhone or the iPad and the dozens of apps I use daily provide the information that’s needed without it.

• Posted: 27 August 2010 12:51 AM #20

Mace - 26 August 2010 03:57 PM
    DawnTreader - 24 August 2010 07:42 PM

... the more people buying Android handsets today the more fertile the ground for iPhone sales two years from now.

We heard you loud and clear, and would be monitoring this assertion, although I don’t know how to verify, perhaps, you would to do a self-evaluation two years later.

I’ll be monitoring the market two years from now as much as I monitor it today.

• Posted: 27 August 2010 11:43 AM #21

CDMA inventor Qualcomm seeks ‘iPhone developer guru’

Kind of slows down the hype for a Verizon iPhone by January. I put it in this thread since Android may see its spread diminish in the next 12 months.