Liquidmetal and Apple

Posted: 26 August 2010 02:57 PM

Found this at Cult of Mac. It describes what I think to be a very exciting development. New ways for Apple to create new designs for future products which would cost must less than the methods being used today. Well worth a read.

World?s Most Advanced Machinery Was Reason For Apple?s Liquidmetal Deal

Apple?s recent deal with Liquidmetal Technologies will give it access to the most advanced manufacturing machinery on the planet, one insider says.

Apple will soon start experimenting with a new prototype injection molding machine, says Drew Merkel, who is perhaps the most knowledgeable third-party expert on Liquidmetal Technologies. It may allow Apple to make advanced iPhone antennas and seamless gadget cases with holographic logos cast right into the metal.

?This is the most advanced injection-molding machine ever made,? Merkel says. ?It is state-of-the-art.?

Apple recently licensed Liquidmetal Technology?s IP for use in consumer electronics. Liquidmetal Technologies is one of the leading companies trying to commercialize space-age metal alloys that are extremely hard and lightweight but can be processed as easily as plastics. NASA has said Liquidmetal is ?poised to redefine materials science as we know it in the 21st century.?

Parts made for the aerospace industry, if they had been manufactured traditionally, would have undergone several rounds of cutting, milling, drilling, threading, deburring, routing and sandblasting, Merkel said.

Instead, the part was cast in one operation and requires no further processing.

?The cost savings are tremendous,? Merkel said. ?This is truly a fantastic representation of the complex design which can be fabricated and ready to go in minutes.?

“Jonathan Ive, Apple?s head designer, who has a reputation for pioneering new materials and manufacturing techniques, is driving the Liquidmetal deal.”

link here:
    http://www.cultofmac.com/worlds-most-advanced-machinery-was-reason-for-apples-liquidmetal-deal-expert-says/55322

this what omega watches are doing with liquidmetal:
    http://www.omegawatches.com/spirit/watchmaking/liquidmetal
    watch the cool video showing how it works . . .

• Posted: 26 August 2010 08:10 PM #1

How do I buy LQMT? My Bank here in Europe does not list it. Please forgive my ignorance, but I am a long way from being a trader. I am just interested in all things Apple.

Posted: 26 August 2010 09:20 PM #2

ghobi - 26 August 2010 11:10 PM

How do I buy LQMT? My Bank here in Europe does not list it. Please forgive my ignorance, but I am a long way from being a trader. I am just interested in all things Apple.

LQMT.PK.  Is listed in the pink sheets.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 01 September 2010 06:00 PM #3

Liquidmetal (LQMT) got a nice boost today by 29%.    Cool.

:apple:

Posted: 15 September 2010 09:11 PM #4

THIS from AppleInsider. Any product ideas that Apple could possibly have in mind for this product?  Be sure and watch the video!

Posted: 17 September 2010 09:12 PM #5

The next iPad could sport Liquidmetal case and ultra-thin glass, run ARM?s Cortex-A15

Speculating further, the next iPad could sport a Liquidmetal-based design described as lighter and stronger than aluminum. After all, we know Apple?s seeking Liquidmetal experts to work on metallic glass designs for upcoming gadgets. Apple could also opt for ARM?s just announced Cortex-A15 MPcore processor.

Posted: 17 September 2010 09:47 PM #6

MacCube - 18 September 2010 12:12 AM

The next iPad could sport Liquidmetal case and ultra-thin glass, run ARM?s Cortex-A15

Speculating further, the next iPad could sport a Liquidmetal-based design described as lighter and stronger than aluminum. After all, we know Apple?s seeking Liquidmetal experts to work on metallic glass designs for upcoming gadgets. Apple could also opt for ARM?s just announced Cortex-A15 MPcore processor.

If next means 3yrs then I can bite.  The guy writing the article has no clue about moving from design to production.  ARM announce the IP for the A15 this year which means the first use will be end of 2012/early 2013.  The A9 was announced in Oct 2008 and Apple is still working their design.  Last I heard Apple was looking for experts to support Liquidmetal designs so I wouldn’t expect much for a few years.  They still have to figure out how to manufacture cost effectively in quantity.

• Posted: 17 September 2010 10:40 PM #7

Like Pats, I am cautious.  This technology sounds very cool.  It gives us a glimpse of how Apple is thinking.  But we won’t see it in Apple products any time soon.

And as for investing in Liquid Metal.  The stock has already tripled and is now very expensive.  I like to buy it 40-50% below where it is now, if at all.

Perhaps the most exciting aspect of this for me is that it underlines the fact that Apple is a manufacturing company.  And under Cook and Jobs, has become a damn good one.

Posted: 17 September 2010 10:54 PM #8

Capa, I have looked at Liquid Metal also and since Platinum is one of its main components, I don’t see it making it into to many products. Platinum has been moving up which will make this product to expensive. JMO of course. :apple:

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 17 September 2010 11:01 PM #9

capablanca - 18 September 2010 01:40 AM

... And as for investing in Liquid Metal.  The stock has already tripled and is now very expensive.  I like to buy it 40-50% below where it is now, if at all ...

Thank you for the tip.  Any possibility that this company grows into SNDK’s size or would wither away like portalplayer (acquired by NVIDIA).

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2010 11:03 PM #10

mbeauch - 18 September 2010 01:54 AM

Capa, I have looked at Liquid Metal also and since Platinum is one of its main components, I don’t see it making it into to many products. Platinum has been moving up which will make this product to expensive. JMO of course. :apple:

Well, SOME OF YOU moneybags guys should get a REAL Platinum and Diamond encrusted iPad, TODAY!

ON SALE, TODAY ONLY—->>> Just $450,000.00 ! A STEAL!

MORE OPTIONS AVAILABLE HERE

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 17 September 2010 11:21 PM #11

TanToday - 18 September 2010 02:03 AM

ON SALE, TODAY ONLY—->>> Just $450,000.00 ! A STEAL!

need… Apple… to hit… 280… then I’m good. :D

Signature

• Posted: 18 September 2010 12:33 AM #12

mbeauch - 18 September 2010 01:54 AM

The last time I studied metallurgy Jimmy Carter was president.  So I am no authority.  But ...

The cost of the Platinum can perhaps be offset by savings in production processes.  Also, there might be ways to substitute other materials, based upon super-atomic properties, for the Platinum. 

Chances are though that SJ fell in love with what can be done with this material to enhance the beauty of Apple’s products.  Any cost savings or performance improvements might be a bonus.  Having said that, I am intrigued by antenna possibilities; but that is based on dreams not facts.

Posted: 18 September 2010 12:42 AM #13

Capa, Platinum is $1600 an ounce. I am no expert in metallurgy, but the product has its features because of its components. I don’t think the patent calls for just substituting something for Platinum. My guess is that it is the metal that makes it all possible.

Tan, who are you trying to kid? you are Mr. money bags. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 05 January 2011 11:56 AM #14

LQMT up 33% today on news that Apple has been granted a patent where they use Liquid Metal in a fuel cell.

http://www.cultofmac.com/apple-is-granted-its-first-liquidmetal-patent-exclusive/75486

Apple?s new patent describes ?amorphous alloy? collector plates for fuel cells, an electrochemical battery that uses hydrogen to generate electricity. Although the patent doesn?t reference the Liquidmetal trademark, the material is an amorphous alloy or ? metallic glass.?

Miniature fuel cells could power mobile phones for more than 30 days without recharging and notebooks for 20 hours or more.

The problem is manufacturing fuel cells that are a safe, hard-working and reliable over many years. Lots of companies are working on developing the right materials. Because Liquidmetal can be made to be super hard, corrosion proof, and durable, it may prove to be the ideal material for fuel cells.

The collector plate described in Apple?s patent acts as a catalyst for a chemical reaction that separates electrons from hydrogen to produce electricity. Its only byproducts are water and heat. As long as the cell is topped-up with fuel, it will continue to generate power. The process is clean, quiet and highly efficient ? up to three times more efficient than burning fuel.

Posted: 05 January 2011 12:03 PM #15

capablanca,

Did you bought any LQMT?  I forgot to put a GTC buy at $0.36 during vacation, miss the buy when it drops to $33 in Dec.

Signature