DT’s Big iPad Adventure

• Posted: 30 August 2010 02:02 PM

I brought my iPad to work this morning and I’ll be chronicling my uses of the device in the work environment.

Just looking at the iPad on the keyboard dock makes it seem like it belongs here.

[ Edited: 17 September 2010 03:53 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 30 August 2010 02:20 PM #1

DawnTreader - 30 August 2010 05:02 PM

I brought my iPad to work this morning and I’ll be chronicling my uses of the device in the work environment.

Just looking at the iPad on the keyboard dock makes it seem like it belongs here.

Thank for doing this exploration.  I’m eager to know when would iPad replaces PC in the office.  My initial thought is two years from now.  iPad is in the innovators phase of the Everett Rogers Technology Adoption Lifecycle model.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 30 August 2010 03:17 PM #2

I have been bringing mine to work as of late.
    From that I have managed to sell 2 more for Apple.  One to a die hard pro PC Apple hater!!!  wink

• Posted: 30 August 2010 05:34 PM #3

Pretty much all I’m doing for work right now is writing. I’m a touch typist and I heavily rely upon a program that is not and probably never will be on the iPad (Scrivener). I’m sure a lot of people find the iPad inappropriate for those two reasons - no keyboard and no support for their favorite or mandated programs. The lack of a keyboard can be overcome. The lack of support for specific programs will become less and less of an issue over time.

I can really see how the iPad would have been the perfect device to supplement my computer when I was an attorney. I wrote a ton and needed a notebook computer for the office. But the iPad would have been perfect for going to court, taking depositions, visiting clients, etc.

• Posted: 30 August 2010 06:42 PM #4

bilter2000 - 30 August 2010 06:17 PM

I have been bringing mine to work as of late.
    From that I have managed to sell 2 more for Apple.  One to a die hard pro PC Apple hater!!!  wink

That’s cool! It’s kind of an irresistible product.  grin

Posted: 30 August 2010 08:18 PM #5

I work out of my home but I find the iPad follows me around the house all day. It’s the constant companion for surfing, emailing, dictionary and encyclopedia. At night it’s by the bed so when I wake at odd hours I check email and respond to two of my children who live in time zones four and nine hours ahead.

Last week I visited an 87 year old widower cousin-in-law. He instantly took to the iPad and asked where he could buy one. He could see the possibilities.

Image Attachments

P1000580.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

• Posted: 30 August 2010 08:58 PM #6

iBob - 30 August 2010 11:18 PM

.Last week I visited an 87 year old widower cousin-in-law. He instantly took to the iPad and asked where he could buy one. He could see the possibilities.

Well DT, I suppose you have quite a lot of years full of productive iPad time ahead of you. I am waiting for your report.

I for myself spend much less time on the iMac and more on the iPad (right now for example). There are still lots of things that need a computer. Today I was designing a floorplan for our Fifth Wheel and I had to start my iMac for a change to a weep page of a friend of ours. iWeb is another thing I would like to see on the iPad. If we can have iMovie on an iPhone, why not iWeb on the iPad.

But we should not forget that the iPad is still wearing Pampers. Let it grow through childhood, adolescence and reach adulthood. There is plenty of fun time ahead of us.

• Posted: 30 August 2010 10:44 PM #7

iBob - 30 August 2010 11:18 PM

I work out of my home but I find the iPad follows me around the house all day. It’s the constant companion for surfing, emailing, dictionary and encyclopedia. At night it’s by the bed so when I wake at odd hours I check email and respond to two of my children who live in time zones four and nine hours ahead.

Last week I visited an 87 year old widower cousin-in-law. He instantly took to the iPad and asked where he could buy one. He could see the possibilities.

That is such a great shot!  It’s fun to see his eyes all lit up…,more like a kid of 8 then 87.  Magic indeed.  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 31 August 2010 01:58 AM #8

I had the iPad positioned on my desk with the external keyboard dock. Compared to the PC with which it shared space, it looked like a piece of art art. Amazing. It’s now my primary contact register thanks to MobileMe and the GTD app I purchased for $2.99 makes it extraordinarily useful in comparison.

• Posted: 31 August 2010 08:16 AM #9

adamthompson3232 - 31 August 2010 06:29 AM

He swears by the iPad and believes other attorneys will begin using it in court now that they’ve seen him benefit from its use in court.

As long as they don’t install a copy of the bible on it and then and swear people IN with it then everything’s fine. :D

Signature

• Posted: 31 August 2010 12:28 PM #10

In my profession, almost all of our documentation (procedures) are in PDF format. I used to have to carry around stacks of paper printouts, but now I can carry our entire library of procedures around and I just update them weekly.

• Posted: 31 August 2010 02:58 PM #11

azxplorer - 31 August 2010 03:28 PM

In my profession, almost all of our documentation (procedures) are in PDF format. I used to have to carry around stacks of paper printouts, but now I can carry our entire library of procedures around and I just update them weekly.

Do you use a tool that lets you annotate these docs?  I would like to be able to do that, but so far all the tools just seem to let you read only.

• Posted: 31 August 2010 03:26 PM #12

Lstream - 31 August 2010 05:58 PM

Do you use a tool that lets you annotate these docs?  I would like to be able to do that, but so far all the tools just seem to let you read only.

Does this not do that?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aji-annotate-pdf/id285258831?mt=8

Signature

• Posted: 31 August 2010 04:14 PM #13

Lstream - 31 August 2010 05:58 PM
    azxplorer - 31 August 2010 03:28 PM

I’ve tried almost all of the Apps that advertise annotation. IMHO none of them are quite there yet. I’m not sure if it’s a factor of acrobat or the ipad App, but they all seem to fail when dealing with complexly formatted pdf’s.

• Posted: 31 August 2010 07:04 PM #14

adamthompson3232 - 31 August 2010 06:29 AM
    FalKirk - 30 August 2010 08:34 PM

Pretty much all I’m doing for work right now is writing. I’m a touch typist and I heavily rely upon a program that is not and probably never will be on the iPad (Scrivener). I’m sure a lot of people find the iPad inappropriate for those two reasons - no keyboard and no support for their favorite or mandated programs. The lack of a keyboard can be overcome. The lack of support for specific programs will become less and less of an issue over time.

I can really see how the iPad would have been the perfect device to supplement my computer when I was an attorney. I wrote a ton and needed a notebook computer for the office. But the iPad would have been perfect for going to court, taking depositions, visiting clients, etc.

A good friend of mine is a criminal defense attorney. He now uses the iPad quite a bit in court. At first he thought it would help in trial merely to convey professionalism and impress juries with his use of cutting-edge technology (he believes these benefits are real after using it for a few months in various trials) but he now has found additional uses. He swears by the iPad and believes other attorneys will begin using it in court now that they’ve seen him benefit from its use in court.

There’s an optional keyboard for the iPad that positions the device quite cleverly for display and for typing. I wonder how many users are buying the keysboard for use at work or writing lots of text at home.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 12:04 AM #15

Sparky - 31 August 2010 10:04 PM

There’s an optional keyboard for the iPad that positions the device quite cleverly for display and for typing. I wonder how many users are buying the keysboard for use at work or writing lots of text at home.

I have the optional keyboard and it’s coming in quite handy at work. I may start a blog devoted to using the iPad at work.