DT’s Big iPad Adventure

Posted: 01 September 2010 02:50 AM #16

Robert, looking forward to your reports.

This summer I interned at a large consulting firm, where Powerpoint and Excel are in heavy use, and PCs dominate more than in probably any other industry (i.e. Mac share is close to 0.00%). However, there was full iPhone support, and support for personal and limited business use for the iPad. I’m likely to come back to this firm for full-time after I finish 2nd year of the MBA, and will report from the trenches too. I suspect the iPad will be slow to catch up, but this kind of work is an interesting case study since the tablet form factor actually lends itself well to presentations.

In the meantime, I hope to learn from you where the iPad delivers, and where it falls short - while I’ve started to get e-books and PDFs for the upcoming semester on it.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 03:49 AM #17

Roman - 01 September 2010 05:50 AM

In the meantime, I hope to learn from you where the iPad delivers, and where it falls short - while I’ve started to get e-books and PDFs for the upcoming semester on it.

All the more reason to start a separate blog on the iPad in the workplace. I’m really intrigued by the potential for this device. With the Apple cover it’s like a personal newsstand and bookstore at home. On the keyboard dock at work, it’s my contact organizer, task information manager all-around workday resource.

What’s really amazing is for about a $50 investment I have a full complement of productivity apps.

• Posted: 01 September 2010 12:11 PM #18

I purchased an iPad for my mother about two weeks ago. I’ve gotten to use it extensively and I’ve had to teach my mother how to use it. In doing so, I’ve seen a number of limitations on the device. I thought I might write about them as they occurred to me as sort of a counter-point to those who are extolling upon the iPad’s benefits. The purpose would not be to criticize the iPad, but to explore it’s limitations in order to:

1) See where the iPad needs to be improved in later versions;
    2) See how the iPad does and does not work for those who have little computer experience; and
    3) See how the iPad does and does not work for those who have extensive computer experience.

Is this the appropriate place for this kind of discussion? I think it might be a great way to refine our understanding of the iPad, but I certainly don’t want to step out of line. Thoughts?

Posted: 01 September 2010 01:23 PM #19

FalKirk - 01 September 2010 03:11 PM

1) See where the iPad needs to be improved in later versions;
    2) See how the iPad does and does not work for those who have little computer experience; and
    3) See how the iPad does and does not work for those who have extensive computer experience.

Is this the appropriate place for this kind of discussion? I think it might be a great way to refine our understanding of the iPad, but I certainly don’t want to step out of line. Thoughts?

Step out of line? smile
    Far from it, I think most of us love the product to an extent that we will be biased against its shortcomings, so it’s all the more important to point them out and discuss them. I actually think your topic deserves its own thread, though it’s up to you where to post of course.

Posted: 01 September 2010 02:01 PM #20

Fal

I think one of the questions many of have in regard to iPad and investing is how large is the market?  Making that guess requires us figuring how the device can be use and what it current limitations are.  Part of this is reading the tech press, but the problem with techies are they see things much different then the average mass market user.  The next 2 qtrs we will see a plethora of tablets which the tech press will dissect with technical precision and claim because it has a usb port or supports flash it is better then the iPad but any of us who have actually used the iPad for a longer period of time know that for every technical issue their is a work-around.  From my personal experience I don’t notice Flash missing on the iPad and the USB only bit me when I wanted to copy & organize photo’s everyone took during our vacation.  I have solved my usb problem by purchasing the camera connection kit but because I couldn’t easily copy everyones pictures, I couldn’t build a slideshow for Grandma and Grandpa before everyone left for home.  Definitely break into a new thread..

I read an excellent article on the iPad from a non techie which reinforced some of my own opinions about the device and it’s future potential.  My iPad Day

• Posted: 01 September 2010 03:22 PM #21

I wouldn’t characterize the items as “shortcomings.” I’d call them desired enhancements. Since this is a new product line, there are no benchmarks for what the product should have been. It’s a matter of what more we would like this product to become?

• Posted: 01 September 2010 11:38 PM #22

It’s up for discussion as to whether or not I should start an iPad at Work blog. Would it be helpful for AFB members?

• Posted: 05 September 2010 09:46 PM #23

Here’s an update on my uses of the iPad at work.

• Posted: 06 September 2010 02:05 PM #24

DT, you are not alone bringing your iPad to work with you. There is this Royal friend of yours. Make sure he gets the news when you start your “iPad as workhorse” blog.
    LOL

• Posted: 13 September 2010 04:01 PM #25

I am finding the Apple iPad quite handy at work and quite useful for taking notes, formulating ideas and developing action steps. I’ll be working with Apple’s iPad productivity suite (Pages, Numbers and Keynote) this week.

Posted: 15 September 2010 05:47 PM #26

Im sure DT is looking forward to iOS 4.2 iLounge has a nice photo review.

• Posted: 15 September 2010 11:07 PM #27

I’ll be doing a two-part report staring next week on uses of the Apple iPad in the wild. I’ll be activating the 3G feature early next week and reporting on the many, many uses of this amazing device both at work at at home.

One of the things that came to mind today was just how much this device will be even more productive once iOS 4 for the iPad is released and multi-tasking is enabled.

In the meantime I enjoyed using the Twitter for iPad app today. It has made the Twitter experience much more fun and interesting.

[ Edited: 16 September 2010 12:50 AM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 16 September 2010 12:41 AM #28

DawnTreader - 16 September 2010 02:07 AM

I’ll be doing a two-part report staring next week on uses of the Apple iPad in the wild. I’ll be activating the 3G feature early next week and reporting on the many, many uses of this amazing device both at work at at home.

One of the things that came to mind today was just how much this device will be even more productive once iOS 4 for the iPad is released and multi-tasking is enabled.

In the meantime I enjoyed using the Twitter for iPad app today. It has made the Twitter experience much more fun and interesting.

Twitter, it just make me chuckle every time you say it.  LOL  Sorry DT, when I hear Twitter, I think of teenagers. Tammy loves her Facebook. I guess it is just me. LOL

Edited to fix typo in DT’s quote.

[ Edited: 16 September 2010 12:52 AM by DawnTreader ]

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 16 September 2010 12:55 AM #29

mbeauch - 16 September 2010 03:41 AM

Twitter, it just make me chuckle every time you say it.  LOL  Sorry DT, when I hear Twitter, I think of teenagers. Tammy loves her Facebook. I guess it is just me. LOL

Tweet, tweet.

ROFL yet.  :wink:

• Posted: 16 September 2010 12:57 AM #30

pats - 15 September 2010 08:47 PM

Im sure DT is looking forward to iOS 4.2 iLounge has a nice photo review.

Back on topic. Yes, I’m looking forward to iOS 4 on the iPad. It will only enhance the iPad’s current functionality and usefulness. After working with the iPhone, multi-tasking is a must for the iPad, too.