Content Delivery: Apple’s Next Big Venture?

• Posted: 20 September 2010 06:28 PM #16

Francisco Geraci - 20 September 2010 07:01 PM

Could Apple be working on an IP TV service?

Tell me if I’m headed down the “crazy” track.

I so think Apple is trying to do this or something just like this.

First, I’ve never believed for a second that the original Apple TV was a “hobby”. It was more like a “scouting mission”. Apple TV completely circumvented the carriers by porting content to the TV via the internet. Unfortunately, it was 100% beholden to the content creators for it’s content.

Second, Steve’s talk at AllThingsD really caught my eye too. Jobs is normally silent, but when he speaks, what he says is often quite profound. He normally doesn’t give away the direction Apple is taking unless he knows that nowone is in a position to stop him or follow him. The fact that Jobs was so candid at AllThingsD suggests to me that the course is set and the pieces are all in place and that it’s only a matter of executing the plan.

Third, I believe every word of what Jobs said in the September 1, event with regard to what people want on their TVs. People don’t want computers on their TVs. They have computers. They simply want to watch content on their TVs. And they want a simple way to get it there.

Fourth, I don’t think the pieces of the puzzle are ready to come together yet. The current new version Apple TV served two purposes. It was a necessary lateral move to keep Apple in the game. It added AirPlay. AirPlay is the future. The ability to stream data from an iOS device to the big screen TV is the same as the ability to stream data from the internet to the big screen TV.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that Apple TV is iOS which is quite interesting all in itself. Haven’t wrapped my head around the possible ramifications of that one yet.

I feel very much like the deer standing in the middle of the road staring at the oncoming headlights. I can tell something’s coming. But I can’t quite make out what it is. If I just wait here a little longer and stare just a little harder…maybe it’ll hit me.

[ Edited: 21 September 2010 12:40 AM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 20 September 2010 06:58 PM #17

Not sure if this has already been posted ... Apple has made a deal with Rovi (formerly Macrovision) ... they create interfaces for cable/satellite TV boxes:

http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20100920/what-does-apple-want-with-rovi/

Very interesting ...

Posted: 20 September 2010 09:42 PM #18

FalKirk - 20 September 2010 09:28 PM
    Francisco Geraci - 20 September 2010 07:01 PM

Could Apple be working on an IP TV service?

Tell me if I’m headed down the “crazy” track.

I so think Apple is trying to do this or something just like this.

First, I’ve never believed for a second that the original Apple TV was a “hobby”. It was more like a “scouting mission”. Apple TV completely circumvented the carriers by porting content to the TV via the internet. Unfortunately, it was 100% beholden to the content creators for it’s content.

Second, Steve’s talk at AllThingsD really caught my eye too. Jobs is normally silent, but when he speaks, what he says is often quite profound. He normally doesn’t give away the direction Apple is taking unless he knows that nowone is in a position to stop him or follow him. The fact that Jobs was so candid at AllThingsD suggests to me that the course is set and the pieces are all in place and that it’s only a matter of executing the plan.

Third, I believe every word of what Jobs said in the September 1, event with regard to what people want on their TVs. People don’t want computers on their TVs. They have computers. They simply want to watch content on their TVs. And they want a simple way to get it there.

Fourth, I don’t think the pieces of the puzzle are ready to come together yet. The current new version Apple TV served two purposes. It was a necessary lateral move to keep Apple in the game. It added AirPlay. AirPlay is the future. The ability to stream data from an iOS device to the big screen TV is the same as the ability to stream data from the internet to the big screen TV.

I feel very much like the deer standing in the middle of the road staring at the oncoming headlights. I can tell something’s coming. But I can’t quite make out what it is. If I just wait here a little longer and stare just a little harder…maybe it’ll hit me.

Agree, Apple has great strategic planning and the execution is awesome. Secrecy is to keep the competition at bay.
    The future is now and Apple is already an important player on content providing. My Brighthouse cable account downgraded to basic and I buy HD TV series and movie on demand on my Apple TV classic. Have instant gratification and watch it at leisure with great sound and image quality.