The Nano Watch

• Posted: 02 September 2010 12:55 AM

SJ mentioned the idea of a Nano wristwatch in the keynote, and it’s getting a lot of buzz this evening online. 

Personally, I’ll br more inclined to consider it when it gets a bit smaller, but I can see the utility of it. Allow more apps and you could quickly use a calculator, check a todo list, etc.  If later they could squeeze in wifi (or bluetooth to your iPhone), then you could quickly peek at the weater forecast, your stocks, or check to see if you have new emails.  And it has a lot of great utility just as a watch with all sorts of time zone, stopwatch, and alarm features.

Utility aside, for those of us unashamed to expose our inner geek, this may be the ultimate expression of our Apple fatuation…at least until they come out with the iPod earrings.

• Posted: 02 September 2010 01:07 AM #1

Well, no one seems to know if the Nano is running iOS. And even if it is, Apps are unlikely in the near future, if ever. And to listen to your wristwatch Nano, you’d still have to run a headset line from your wrist to your ears which is awkward at best and impractical at worst.

So it seems to me that this is more of a fun thing to think about than something that is actually going to happen.

• Posted: 02 September 2010 01:27 AM #2

FalKirk - 02 September 2010 04:07 AM

So it seems to me that this is more of a fun thing to think about than something that is actually going to happen.

It’s already the newest fad.  A Huffington Post poll has over 82% of respondents saying they’d use the new Nano as a wristwatch:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/ipod-nano-watch-steve-jobs_n_702302.html

• Posted: 02 September 2010 01:53 AM #3

macorange - 02 September 2010 04:27 AM

It’s already the newest fad.  A Huffington Post poll has over 82% of respondents saying they’d use the new Nano as a wristwatch:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/01/ipod-nano-watch-steve-jobs_n_702302.html

Bah, humbug! It’s a passing fad like rap, velcro and the internet. It’ll never catch on.

• Posted: 02 September 2010 02:00 AM #4

I want next year’s Ive’s signature designed Nano platinum wristwatch.  $499 with a gorgeous design for my wrist and better margins than the iPad for AAPL.

Posted: 02 September 2010 02:33 AM #5

The wristwatch is so retro. According to the Beloit College Mindset List for the Class of 2014 (item 28), the new class don’t recognize pointing to one’s wrist as a request for the time. I saw them on CNN explaining that it was considered effeminate to wear a wristwatch until WWI when people wore them in combat, prior to which people carried pocketwatches. So using your phone as a pocketwatch is even more retro. See here at 3:30 (I love that this YouTube video is of a CRT tube—so so retro).

The same list (item 31) says the first computer they probably touched was an Apple II or Mac II (0:20 in the video above). I doubt that’s accurate about the Apple II, but it warms my heart to think so, as did the appearance of Woz at today’s event.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 02 September 2010 02:43 AM #6

FalKirk - 02 September 2010 04:53 AM

Bah, humbug! It’s a passing fad like rap, velcro and the internet. It’ll never catch on.

You must be channeling Dvorack.  :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:12 AM #7

BillH - 02 September 2010 05:43 AM

Damnit! I should have said that it was a fad, just like the MOUSE! That would have been perfect!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:45 AM #8

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 03:12 AM
    BillH - 02 September 2010 05:43 AM

Damnit! I should have said that it was a fad, just like the MOUSE! That would have been perfect!

I still listen to him on TWIT and find him fairly entertaining.  LaPorte on the other hand can’t seem to get over whatever issues he has with Steve and seems to think we’re still living in the 80’s.  Both Twit and Macbreak Weekly go out of their way to find stories that can be spun to place Apple in a less than positive light.  Ihnatko’s presence keeps things pretty balanced…,he’s great.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 01:59 AM #9

BillH - 03 September 2010 03:45 AM

I still listen to him on TWIT and find him fairly entertaining.  LaPorte on the other hand can’t seem to get over whatever issues he has with Steve and seems to think we’re still living in the 80’s.  Both Twit and Macbreak Weekly go out of their way to find stories that can be spun to place Apple in a less than positive light.  Ihnatko’s presence keeps things pretty balanced…,he’s great.

It is ironic that LaPorte actually makes Dvorak’s comments sound sane and rational. Andy is the star of MBW indeed. Leo has his reasons but is spending more and more time lately coming across as a bitter and twisted old bloke. I am enjoying the fact that he has had a lot of issues with Google Buzz but there is a lot of ego there. He dropped buzz because he lost 5,000 followers on Twitter. I think even he is beginning to realize that Google is not perfect.

Signature

• Posted: 04 September 2010 03:14 PM #10

The iWatch

• Posted: 04 September 2010 03:52 PM #11

This is a better idea than people might think. 

First, hopefully we’ll see some quality leather watch bands for it.  It can be more than a “geek watch.”

Next, watchmakers might capture a new revenue stream by licensing their mechanical watch designs to App developers, allowing consumers to mimic the original on the nano display.  You like the look of a particular Raymond James watch?  There’s an app for that!

Apple might consider the next nano to be circular, opening up more watch-design possibilities.  It would also be be great if Apple offered some alternatives to the bezel. 

Dick Tracy is very, very near…

Posted: 05 September 2010 01:41 AM #12

Mercel - 04 September 2010 06:52 PM

This is a better idea than people might think. 

First, hopefully we’ll see some quality leather watch bands for it.  It can be more than a “geek watch.”

Next, watchmakers might capture a new revenue stream by licensing their mechanical watch designs to App developers, allowing consumers to mimic the original on the nano display.  You like the look of a particular Raymond James watch?  There’s an app for that!

Apple might consider the next nano to be circular, opening up more watch-design possibilities.  It would also be be great if Apple offered some alternatives to the bezel. 

Dick Tracy is very, very near…

Good to see the interest in Nano apps. Personally not into wearing it on the wrist, but maybe with the right app in the right circumstances. Not sure what app it would be, but not a watch alone…

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 05 September 2010 10:37 AM #13

Mercel - 04 September 2010 06:52 PM

While not appropriate for the device, there are currently a number of Watch Face apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

• Posted: 05 September 2010 11:10 AM #14

willrob - 05 September 2010 01:37 PM

While not appropriate for the device, there are currently a number of Watch Face apps for the iPhone/iPod Touch.

This app is a very low-end execution of the idea, with ratings to match.  :-D

The Nano on the wrist could send Apple into the jewelry business, combining precious metals (and liquid steel) with supreme function on the wrist.  Apple already has the design cachet to disrupt yet another industry.

Posted: 05 September 2010 11:40 AM #15

Hay, that first vintage clock face was particularly interesting. Did you notice that the subtended angles between the three hands and the 12 o’clock position were all the same?

Additionally, when a battery powered wall clock finally gives out of juice it stops with the second hand pointing to about the 8 position. That’s where the most power is needed to turn the hand. That’s the position shown in the illustration.