The Nano Watch

• Posted: 05 September 2010 02:06 PM #16

A few other watch apps

one

Two

Three

I remember there being some fairly costly (for an iPhone app) designer watches months ago, but I can’t find them this morning.

edit: a bunch more here

• Posted: 10 September 2010 12:23 AM #17

$17 will get you a watchband for the new Nano. And if you wear a long sleeved shirt you can run the earbud cables up the sleeve and no one will notice that your a geek.

I’m still not sure where the analog watch face comes from. Does the Nano’s clock have multiple faces. The above link shows a black and a white face, but during the keynote all I noticed was the digital clock.

• Posted: 10 September 2010 12:27 AM #18

Bluetooth on the next Nano w/wireless earphones could make this an even better watch option.

• Posted: 10 September 2010 12:29 AM #19

willrob - 05 September 2010 05:06 PM

A few other watch apps

one

Two

Three

I remember there being some fairly costly (for an iPhone app) designer watches months ago, but I can’t find them this morning.

edit: a bunch more here

Since the Nano isn’t iOS, are these even going to work?

• Posted: 10 September 2010 10:22 AM #20

willrob - 10 September 2010 03:23 AM

$17 will get you a watchband for the new Nano. And if you wear a long sleeved shirt you can run the earbud cables up the sleeve and no one will notice that your a geek.

I’m still not sure where the analog watch face comes from. Does the Nano’s clock have multiple faces. The above link shows a black and a white face, but during the keynote all I noticed was the digital clock.

OK, now I understand. The Nano’s lock screen can be an analog watch face. Still needs bluetooth, with cufflinks that double as earbuds.

• Posted: 13 September 2010 11:02 AM #21

Incipio has the professional looking version

Posted: 13 September 2010 11:52 AM #22

adamthompson3232 - 10 September 2010 03:30 AM
    Mercel - 10 September 2010 03:27 AM

Bluetooth on the next Nano w/wireless earphones could make this an even better watch option.

Great idea. I don’t wear a watch but I would wear the Nano as a watch if it had bluetooth wireless earphones. This would sell a ton of units.

It works with NIKE shoes, therefore it does have wireless capabilities, now we need someone to exploit that for earbuds!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 13 September 2010 12:21 PM #23

macorange - 02 September 2010 03:55 AM

SJ mentioned the idea of a Nano wristwatch in the keynote, and it’s getting a lot of buzz this evening online. 

Personally, I’ll br more inclined to consider it when it gets a bit smaller, but I can see the utility of it. Allow more apps and you could quickly use a calculator, check a todo list, etc.  If later they could squeeze in wifi (or bluetooth to your iPhone), then you could quickly peek at the weater forecast, your stocks, or check to see if you have new emails.  And it has a lot of great utility just as a watch with all sorts of time zone, stopwatch, and alarm features.

Utility aside, for those of us unashamed to expose our inner geek, this may be the ultimate expression of our Apple fatuation…at least until they come out with the iPod earrings.

Nano Watch?

I’m already receiving enough ridicule from owning an iPhone that has no service. I can only guess how silly I’d look and feel wearing a nano instead of an oyster. I must go now and cave into peer pressure.  :wink:

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

Posted: 13 September 2010 11:43 PM #24

I picked up a $9 Timex sport band at Kohls department store. There are several sizes, widths, etc. It is Velcro with an elastic cloth double strap, ostensibly where you’d loop it through the spring pins on a normal watch. The new nano clips onto it perfectly. Since I’m delivering a couple lectures this week, I plan to load up a photo folder with my flash cards and just use the “nano watch” instead of physical flash cards.

The new nano requires the Nike connection kit dongle to converse with the shoe piece, per the manual. But it *does* have a pedometer feature which is mostly accurate (and also talks to Nike+). The radio is a nice implementation, my first experience with a portable radio since the early 1990s. I can see a future software update allowing access to contacts, calculator, calendar, and notes without too much fuss. Heck, the gen 4 click wheel had most of those features standard.

Oh yes, and the clock feature (including stopwatch and countdown timer screens) is nice. Alarms would make it super nice.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

Posted: 14 September 2010 01:46 AM #25

Nano watch doesn’t sound like a bad idea at first, until you add in rain and multiple other sources of water.

Waterproof nano, next gen?  That’d be great - and I wouldn’t have a clue how they’d pull it off, or why Apple would want to.

Also wouldn’t be a fan of kinda-tethering earphones to my arm.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 14 September 2010 01:54 AM #26

rezonate - 14 September 2010 02:43 AM

Since I’m delivering a couple lectures this week, I plan to load up a photo folder with my flash cards and just use the “nano watch” instead of physical flash cards.

You must have hellava better eyesight than I do. Won’t the audience wonder why your checking your watch all the time? (or if it were me, why I have my nose inches away from my wrist while speaking).

Posted: 19 September 2010 05:03 PM #27

willrob - 14 September 2010 04:54 AM

You must have hellava better eyesight than I do. Won’t the audience wonder why your checking your watch all the time? (or if it were me, why I have my nose inches away from my wrist while speaking).

For the presentation I looped the sports band around my fingers with the nano cradled in the palm, then moved through prompt slides with my thumb. No worse technique than writing key words on my palm which has been lampooned in political figures of late, unjustifiably in my opinion.  The 240x240 screen is certainly adequate for a few words in big font, but you’re right I had to squint a bit.

As a watch the nano is adequate. Certainly worried about water when washing hands, and scratches that always seen to find their way to the faces of my watches. I probably won’t use it as a daily watch but the wrist wear is superior to arm bands for previous nanos, at least for me.  Can’t wait for the update that adds several more apps.

Signature

Use your powers for good.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 05:40 PM #28

Apple needs to make the next Nano round, in the shape of a high-end watch.  Liquid metal gives them all kinds of possibilities.  Add FaceTime.  Add bluetooth for earphones. Add WiFi and 3G, possibly. 

A larger form factor than the current nano is fine, both to accommodate the demand for watch bling (bigger is better) and the extra features and battery.  People can choose a watch style that fits their mood, by using apps that mimic Raymond Weil, Piaget, Omega, Rolex. 

It would be huge.

• Posted: 17 November 2010 11:54 AM #29

Griffin announces iPod nano Slap wristband.

http://www.tuaw.com/2010/11/17/griffin-announces-ipod-nano-slap-wristband/

• Posted: 18 November 2010 07:30 PM #30

I am very tempted by these ...

http://gizmodo.com/5692738/the-ipod-nano-watches-to-rule-them-all-trust-me-here