Convince me that I should buy an Apple TV

• Posted: 02 September 2010 11:53 PM

I am in the market for a DVR or other media entertainment device. Convince me that I should be buying an Apple TV.

Posted: 02 September 2010 11:55 PM #1

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 02:53 AM

I am in the market for a DVR or other media entertainment device. Convince me that I should be buying an Apple TV.

Your purchase will help raise the value of AAPL.

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:12 AM #2

Two different beasts really and I’ll assume you know the difference but try looking at pics on a dvr.  wink  I happen to think that the ability to stream photos is the new killer feature.  I’ve always enjoyed our Apple TV and would recommend one together with a dvr assuming you want to time switch a lot of TV.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:15 AM #3

I own two Apple TV’s and have used them for years ... here in Canada, Netflix is not available so I use iTunes movie rentals.

If you are in the US, there are more options available for movie rentals ... even so, I think part of the power of Apple TV is being able to easily view/listen to your own content ... music and photos.

The Apple TV can be used as a music server ... a TV is not even required ... use the digital output to connect to a receiver (or an external DAC if you desire even higher quality).  Access your iTunes library anywhere in the house from your couch using an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad using the ‘Remote’ app.

Obviously, if you want to see photos ... you will need to connect the TV ... much nicer to show photos on a large screen compared to a computer screen.

Even if you never intend to rent any movies or TV shows ... you do have access to the iTunes Store if needed ... and Netflix too!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:29 AM #4

firestorm - 03 September 2010 02:55 AM

Your purchase will help raise the value of AAPL.

Wow. You are scary good. I?m just going to ignore your post or the thought experiment will be over before it begins.

BillH - 03 September 2010 03:12 AM

I happen to think that the ability to stream photos is the new killer feature.

I can do that with my old Apple TV, with TiVo and probably with several other devices as well. Not a differentiating or compelling feature.

Derrick - 03 September 2010 03:15 AM

I think part of the power of Apple TV is being able to easily view/listen to your own content ... music and photos.

Why would I want to listen to music on my TV?

The Apple TV can be used as a music server ... a TV is not even required ... use the digital output to connect to a receiver (or an external DAC if you desire even higher quality).  Access your iTunes library anywhere in the house from your couch using an iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad using the ‘Remote’ app.

Very geeky. Not mainstream at all.

Even if you never intend to rent any movies or TV shows ... you do have access to the iTunes Store if needed ...

I already have access to the iTunes store on my computer/iPad/iPhone. Why would I want it on my TV?

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:34 AM #5

If you have a NetFlix account this is a natural buy at $99. I’ve owned an Apple TV since its original release and I see much in this new product that I like. The first is simplicity. The original Apple TV is the quirkiest Apple-branded product I’ve ever owned. The second is the price. At $99 there’s very little purchase risk and it may add much to your home entertainment solution.

My U-verse contract provides for a free DVR and household members use it regularly to record their favorite shows. Now household members can stream NetFlix movies effortlessly on the TV and stream music through the home entertainment system in the TV room. I have an Airport Express for streaming music through the home stereo system in the living room.

My situation is probably different than yours, but we use a PS3 as a Blu-ray player. The DRV for recording favorite TV shows and soon the new Apple TV for streaming movies from both NetFlix and iTunes.

The big benefit is the absence of storage space needed for movies or TV shows. Favorite movies that household members desire to watch over and over again can be purchased on Blu-ray or DVD for long-term storage and without a terabyte drive needed to hold the HD content.

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:35 AM #6

I’m anticipating the Netflix argument. Let me posit a few preliminary questions:

1) Is it worth getting the new Apple TV if I don’t have Netflix?
    2) Do I have to have Netflix in order to truly benefit from the new Apple TV?

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:43 AM #7

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 03:35 AM

I’m anticipating the Netflix argument. Let me posit a few preliminary questions:

Since you already have an Apple TV ...

1) IMHO no ... the only benefit would be streaming from an iPad/iPod Touch/iPhone
    2) I have no experience with Netflix ... so I can’t comment on whether it is worth purchasing a new Apple TV for

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:45 AM #8

DawnTreader - 03 September 2010 03:34 AM

If you have a NetFlix account this is a natural buy at $99.

I posted my question about Apple TV in order to explore it’s selling points and to judge its appeal to mainstream consumers. So far (and it’s still early) Netflix seems to be the biggest draw. But Netflix is available from several competing products. And do I really want to buy an Apple TV just to primarily stream Netflix?

I remain open minded, but skeptical. What is the compelling reason(s) to buy Apple TV? Waiting to be convinced.

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:48 AM #9

Derrick - 03 September 2010 03:43 AM

If it makes your argument stronger, you may assume that I don’t already own an Apple TV.

Then again, we should be asking ourselves: What is the motivation for existing Apple TV owners to upgrade? (Other than loyalty to the Brand.)

EDIT: As I think about this, if I get cable and own a DVR, it seems to me that the benefits of an Apple TV are very tangential. I look forward to being convinced otherwise.

[ Edited: 03 September 2010 12:55 AM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 03 September 2010 12:50 AM #10

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 03:45 AM
    DawnTreader - 03 September 2010 03:34 AM

If you have a NetFlix account this is a natural buy at $99.

I posted my question about Apple TV in order to explore it’s selling points and to judge its appeal to mainstream consumers. So far (and it’s still early) Netflix seems to be the biggest draw. But Netflix is available from several competing products. And do I really want to buy an Apple TV just to primarily stream Netflix?

I remain open minded, but skeptical. What is the compelling reason(s) to buy Apple TV? Waiting to be convinced.

You can’t stream photo’s to your current Apple TV so if your friends come over with their iPad you’ll have to load them on your computer and then sync it.  Didn’t know you could stream to a TIVO. 

I bought a new one just to play with it in contrast to my current one so I’ll be back to you.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:54 AM #11

BillH - 03 September 2010 03:50 AM

You can’t stream photo’s to your current Apple TV so if your friends come over with their iPad you’ll have to load them on your computer and then sync it.

True. But is that really much of a selling point?

BillH - 03 September 2010 03:50 AM

I bought a new one just to play with it in contrast to my current one so I’ll be back to you.

Excellent. I’ll look forward to reading your thoughts on the matter.

• Posted: 03 September 2010 12:59 AM #12

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 03:35 AM

No and no.  grin

We actually discussed canceling the NetFlix account last night following the announcement of the new Apple TV. Again, my situation is probably much different than yours. I have a Time Capsule almost exclusively for protecting a collective investment in iTunes content that is probably now in the low five figures due to the number of iTunes cards household members receive each holiday season. I’m tired of storing stuff. Music isn’t so bad, but HD content is a monster of a storage problem.

If there’s a movie household members really want to watch over and over again (a select number of titles) we will buy a copy preferably on Blu-ray, but even the DVD enhancements the PS3 provides makes DVD purchases a reasonable alternative.

Outside of that streaming rented content is a real solution. Between NetFlix and iTunes there isn’t a shortage of content to view at any time and pretty much on demand.

• Posted: 03 September 2010 01:03 AM #13

FalKirk - 03 September 2010 03:48 AM
    Derrick - 03 September 2010 03:43 AM

If it makes your argument stronger, you may assume that I don’t already own an Apple TV.

Then again, we should be asking ourselves: What is the motivation for existing Apple TV owners to upgrade? (Other than loyalty to the Brand.)

EDIT: As I think about this, if I get cable and own a DVR, it seems to me that the benefits of an Apple TV are very tangential. I look forward to being convinced otherwise.

I think the Apple TV has the potential for wider appeal outside the US:

1) Netflix is only available in the US at this time ... $99 is now a more affordable price point for those outside the US where iTunes movie rentals are available
    2) In Canada ... Netflix is supposed to be arriving this fall ... so this now becomes a selling point as well.

For myself, if Netflix does arrive in Canada ... then I will be buying a new Apple TV ... otherwise, I will continue to use the ones I have.

Posted: 03 September 2010 03:28 AM #14

You can throw the new AppleTV in your carry on luggage and use it in hotels or friend’s house when you travel.

Signature

Read more at: Asymco Blog

Posted: 03 September 2010 04:06 AM #15

asymco - 03 September 2010 06:28 AM

You can throw the new AppleTV in your carry on luggage and use it in hotels or friend’s house when you travel.

That is a very cool feature.