creating a website and a blog

• Posted: 10 September 2010 07:14 AM

Dear All, (I tried to find a thread on this but failed)

I have just bought a domain name and a hosting service. I would now like to create my website, and I would also like to include in that website a blog.

Can someone recommend some good free web site creation/design software? I was thinking of using Wordpress for the blog as I believe it can be buried away in the website.

I just tried to down load Nvu, but for some reason cannot.

thanks

martin

[ Edited: 23 April 2011 11:26 AM by Intruder ]      
  • Posted: 17 September 2010 03:09 PM #1

Hmm, I was going to recommend you to use wordpress for the website smile that being the easiest cms to use and it has a lot of cool theme, plugins, you can find support very easy etc.
      Btw does your host have Fantastico? You could choose some content management scripts from it.
      If all that fail, aa search google for free design software smile.

• Posted: 18 September 2010 04:48 AM #2

thanks alexandre

Wordpress I knew, but the others I’ll check out now

• Posted: 20 September 2010 11:12 PM #3

you can use Drupal. a little bit hard than wordpress, but it’s good. :D

Posted: 30 December 2010 03:36 PM #4

martinp - 10 September 2010 10:14 AM

I have just bought a domain name and a hosting service. I would now like to create my website, and I would also like to include in that website a blog.

Can someone recommend some good free web site creation/design software? I was thinking of using Wordpress for the blog as I believe it can be buried away in the website.

I just tried to down load Nvu, but for some reason cannot.

1. NVU is dead. Kompozer tried to replace it, but I think Kompozer is also dead or dying.

2. As someone who has built 100+ websites over the last 15 years, I think that WordPress is perfect for blogging. Easy to set up. fairly easy to integrate (look and feel) into your website.

3. I don’t think WordPress is really suitable for building websites, but I have inherited one website that was created using WP and it is working OK. You will also find that BUYING WordPress add-ons will really help make a better WP site.

Signature

Dave Barnes
    +1.303.744.9024
    WebEnhancement Services - Worldwide

• Posted: 03 January 2011 03:22 PM #5

I run several websites that happen to also have a blog, and I use self-hosted WordPress for all of them. I am a capable enough web developer so I could just maintain the HTML/CSS by hand, but I like that it lets me update the site from any computer or my iPhone or iPad, and without any risk of inadvertently messing up the overall layout and having to go back to fix it later. I created my own themes (or rather child themes for Thematic) so that it has an individualized look with the organizations’ colors and logos rather than a generic template.

Posted: 23 April 2011 11:26 AM #6

Thread closed because it was attracting too many spammers.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…