DT’s iPad Chronicles

• Posted: 17 September 2010 04:06 AM

Starting this weekend I’m putting the Apple iPad through some rigorous tests as I take it into the wild as my primary computing and communications device.

Over the next couple of weeks I’ll be adding an iPad dimension to my blog presence by creating a section dedicated almost exclusively to the iPad and the use of iPad accessories and apps.

I haven’t been this excited about a personal computing device since the first time I heard the Mac’s startup chime in early 1984. The Apple iPad has the potential to change personal computing and personal communications in a way not seen since the Macintosh was first announced to the world on Super Bowl Sunday that same year.

I intend to experience the iPad revolution with you and chronicle its steps and stages as we begin this new journey together.

I’ll be posting some of my experiences in this topic.

[ Edited: 19 September 2010 03:42 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 17 September 2010 08:30 AM #1

DT - this should be interesting. What type of work do you do in your day job?  That would help with context.

• Posted: 17 September 2010 11:28 AM #2

Lstream - 17 September 2010 11:30 AM

DT - this should be interesting. What type of work do you do in your day job?  That would help with context.

As ironic as it sounds: Non-profit management.  grin

• Posted: 17 September 2010 11:37 AM #3

Of course, the work provides for use of the Apple iPad in a variety of circumstances and situations. From the moment I start my day until it ends, I’m usually moving around between buildings, meetings and with hundreds of conversations throughout the word day.

Edit: Let me clarify the above. On average I encounter well over 100 people per work day. Not all encounters are lengthy or involve lengthy conversations (obviously), but my contact registry is necessarily large and the ability to carry a device that allows me to make notes, send notes and immediately follow-up on conversations is a big benefit.

[ Edited: 17 September 2010 05:38 PM by DawnTreader ]      
  • Posted: 17 September 2010 12:07 PM #4

I’ve been using MobileMe as my primary contact organizer for quite some time. My iPhone has been my walking rolodex. Obviously, all of that information is also on my iPad and it’s easier with this device to make notes, track projects and keep on top of tasks.

Next week I’ll be using the iPad for developing some workflow solutions and the development of concepts for new initiatives. It screams out for uses in that way.

• Posted: 17 September 2010 03:05 PM #5

DawnTreader - 17 September 2010 03:07 PM

I’ve been using MobileMe as my primary contact organizer for quite some time. My iPhone has been my walking rolodex. Obviously, all of that information is also on my iPad and it’s easier with this device to make notes, track projects and keep on top of tasks.

Next week I’ll be using the iPad for developing some workflow solutions and the development of concepts for new initiatives. It screams out for uses in that way.

Have you ever tried mind mapping software for stuff like this?  I am working through a complex situation at work, and am seeing if iThoughtHD can help me out.

Posted: 17 September 2010 03:57 PM #6

DT,

Thank you for the chronicle.  I notice nobody seem to talk about wrist issue.  My wrist hurts when I use a mouse too long.  Don’t have such wrist issue with touch interface.  Also need to clean the mouse often.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 17 September 2010 05:55 PM #7

Mace - 17 September 2010 06:57 PM

DT,

Thank you for the chronicle.  I notice nobody seem to talk about wrist issue.  My wrist hurts when I use a mouse too long.  Don’t have such wrist issue with touch interface.  Also need to clean the mouse often.

Haha, well I’ve found I need to clean the iPad often too… Greasy fingers smile
    (No problem though, I keep the black Apple cleaning cloth flat right inside my iPad cover, between the back of the device itself and the cover.

Posted: 17 September 2010 06:05 PM #8

This past week was my first week of using the iPad in business school, leaving the MBP at home (and I don’t have an iPhone, or any smartphone).
    - All my cases are now in electronic form (PDF’d, though I also just got an email from the IT department about an agreement with the electronic case publisher for iPad cases).
    - Books will come from iBookstore or Kindle store, depending on availability.
    - Using gmail for all email, and finding their iPad layout better than the desktop
    - The web, obviously
    - E-trade mobile app looks great but I haven’t taken it for a ride yet
    - Looking forward to trying out magazines and new media on iPad (not sure if I want to pay yet)
    - So much more natural on the subway than a laptop
    - ONE HUGE ADVANTAGE is that I can discreetly use it during classes where laptops have been deemed disruptive (in the bad sense) to other students. One professor notified us of complaints about loud typing and some students distracting neighbors with whatever is happening on their screen (e.g. watching a sports game in class) - but when I said that I intend to use the iPad for cases, he actually encouraged me and added:

iPads are totally fine. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole school migrates to some form of iPads in the coming years.

Needless to say, I’m already paying more attention in his class
    smile :apple:

• Posted: 17 September 2010 07:28 PM #9

DawnTreader - 17 September 2010 02:28 PM

Really? I do non-profit management too.

I manage to make no profit. No profit at all. It’s not SUPPOSED to be that way. But hey, we’ve all got to stick to our strengths.

Posted: 17 September 2010 07:35 PM #10

FalKirk - 17 September 2010 10:28 PM

I manage to make no profit. No profit at all. It’s not SUPPOSED to be that way. But hey, we’ve all got to stick to our strengths.

ROFLMAO. priceless. LOL

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 17 September 2010 07:38 PM #11

mbeauch - 17 September 2010 10:35 PM

ROFLMAO. priceless. LOL

FalKirk for president. You made my day.LOL

• Posted: 17 September 2010 07:42 PM #12

DawnTreader - 17 September 2010 07:06 AM

Starting this weekend I’m putting the Apple iPad through some rigorous tests as I take it into the wild as my primary computing and communications device.

I know you’ve mentioned a couple of times before that you purchased a keyboard to go along with your iPad. I don’t recall you stating it explicitly, but I think it’s the dock connector keyboard, not the bluetooth.

The two things that I really prefer my notebook for are typing and cutting and pasting. I’m a touch typist and I can basically compose without thinking about typing on a notebook. (Just check my past posts for proof that I don’t think when I type.) But on the iPad typing is slow and requires serious concentration. (On my phone, it’s pure torture.)

Also, I’m struggling to cut and paste articles, quotes, citations etc. from here to there when I’m creating my online posts. I find it awkward, frustrating and sometimes just plain impossible.

If I were to move wholesale to the iPad, a separate keyboard would be a must. How do you use yours? Is it stationary? Or do you occasionally take it with you?

Finally, in a total non-sequitar, I introduced my mother to numbers today. She was a bookkeeper in…. Well, it was quite a while ago. She belongs to several civic groups and she always ends up being their treasurer. Last night I downloaded and played with numbers. I don’t think she’s all that excited yet, but I sure am. The program is perfect for her. Now I just have to find a way to get her to agree with my assessment.

Looking forward to your continuing reports on the iPad at work. Better hurry though. Pretty soon everyone will have one and you’ll just be one of the crowd.

[ Edited: 17 September 2010 11:19 PM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 17 September 2010 09:23 PM #13

Oh. There’s a difference between non-profit and non-profit-able. To some it’s subtle, but it’s true. :wink:

• Posted: 18 September 2010 12:41 AM #14

Roman - 17 September 2010 08:55 PM

[...]
    (No problem though, I keep the black Apple cleaning cloth flat right inside my iPad cover, between the back of the device itself and the cover.

I do exactly the same, but with a ordinary small micro-fiber towel. 

Which a friend reminds me is just another way in which the late Douglas Adams was ahead of his time.

• Posted: 18 September 2010 02:03 PM #15

capablanca - 18 September 2010 03:41 AM
    Roman - 17 September 2010 08:55 PM

[...]

I do exactly the same, but with a ordinary small micro-fiber towel. 

Which a friend reminds me is just another way in which the late Douglas Adams was ahead of his time.

iKlear and a towel works wonders. It’s like… finger skating.  LOL