Apple Products as a Conversation Starter Walking Around….

Posted: 17 September 2010 11:13 AM

The other day, having some fun with my new iPod Nano, I thought about the watch angle, so I ordered a few SPORTS BANDS for watches, and clipped my iPod Nano to one of them, and went out shopping….

... WOW.

Every store I went into, people asked me, “What is that you have connected to your watch?” { of course, I had an earphone plugged into it…} they were fascinated, started calling over other workers saying “Hey, Jane/Bill/Joe..come look at this!”

Then they were all excited, and I went into asking about the iPad, which I had with me, some already had them, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON that was there, either said they were actually getting one, or VERY MOTIVATED to get one.

This is new, where EVERYONE either is going apple, or receptive TO apple products. Before, I always got skepticism, or a mixed reception. Now, no longer, it seems as if they are convinced apple is the way to go, or they will be left behind.

And the MOST amazing part, was this was NOT in a high end retail location, these were normal working people, moms, dads, and even retires and laboring sorts. Before, my Apple stuff was a yuppie chuppie thing, now it is a mainstream aspirational must have!

Here is my “Dick Tracy wristwatch communicator!”

[ Edited: 17 September 2010 11:18 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 17 September 2010 11:41 AM #1

reminds me of the old fm wrist watches, only it’s better wink

Posted: 17 September 2010 11:52 AM #2

Khaled - 17 September 2010 02:41 PM

reminds me of the old fm wrist watches, only it’s better wink

As you already know, the iPod Nano, does FM too!

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 17 September 2010 12:49 PM #3

TanToday - 17 September 2010 02:13 PM

Before, my Apple stuff was a yuppie chuppie thing, now it is a mainstream aspirational must have!

That sums it up nicely. People are starting to see the value in Apple products, up and down the line. That’s what they want to get. They may settle for an Android Phone, HP laptop, or Dell desktop, but they want the Apple stuff.  I’ve talked to several people where I work that are in the market for new computers. They want a MacBook Pro. For various reasons (not the least of which is everything they work with is Win only) they may settle for a Toshiba or HP. I don’t hear anyone talking about getting a NetBook any more. New iPhones around the place are all iPhones, even though most of these users had been using a company supplied Blackberry.

TanToday one question for you:
    What did you use to take the picture of your new Nano?

[ Edited: 17 September 2010 12:51 PM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 17 September 2010 01:11 PM #4

geoduck - 17 September 2010 03:49 PM

The new iPod Touch. Doesn’t seem to do extreme closeups that well. This WAS cropped so it is a subset of the larger picture. For regular pics, it is ok , but certainly NOT something that gives pictures equal to a dedicated camera.

Signature

Posted: 17 September 2010 01:25 PM #5

TanToday - 17 September 2010 04:11 PM
    geoduck - 17 September 2010 03:49 PM

The new iPod Touch. Doesn’t seem to do extreme closeups that well.

That’s what I was suspecting. The back camera is only .7Mxl, not as good as the iPhone4.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 17 September 2010 01:35 PM #6

geoduck - 17 September 2010 04:25 PM

That’s what I was suspecting. The back camera is only .7Mxl, not as good as the iPhone4.

Not as good as the camera on the first iPhone with a camera.

Signature

Posted: 19 September 2010 04:47 PM #7

My nano rode around all week on a Timex Expedition sport band ($9 from Kohls). I was at a conference of educational and performance technologists, the perfect audience for transformational technology products, and the nano was very well received. They liked my method of loading up the photos app with slide screenshots to deliver a lecture, and display the conference schedule. The fitness application has uses for human performance in the psychomotor domain, tracking trends of steps taken, heart rate, and run information.

Before the conference I issued some of my staff an iPad. They have reported universal positive reaction to the device, and several innovative new ideas we hadn’t considered. Even people who don’t have one can see the potential for use in their disciplines.

Signature

Use your powers for good.