Windows Phone 7 GSM-Only At Launch

• Posted: 18 September 2010 02:55 PM

Windows Phone 7 is GSM-only at launch.

Does anyone else find this to be an hilarious situation?

Where are the screams, howls and catcalls that there’s no way to find success without being on the Verizon network?

• Posted: 18 September 2010 07:02 PM #1

No comments?

I find it quite telling. The iPhone will eventually come to Verizon. But even MSFT is launching its new phone series without availability on the Verizon network. Granted MSFT’s effort is coming quite late to the party and its success is in question.

But thanks in part to the Apple iPhone, Verizon is no longer the biggest factor in the wireless services game.

• Posted: 18 September 2010 07:07 PM #2

This has to be a result of the complete hosing Verizon took on the Kin disaster

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Regards

Dale

• Posted: 18 September 2010 07:22 PM #3

twodales - 18 September 2010 10:07 PM

This has to be a result of the complete hosing Verizon took on the Kin disaster

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

Regards

Dale

That might be a consideration…

• Posted: 18 September 2010 07:26 PM #4

I’d be inclined to think it might be a parts problem with you know who buying up future capacity.

• Posted: 18 September 2010 07:35 PM #5

danthemason - 18 September 2010 10:26 PM

I’d be inclined to think it might be a parts problem with you know who buying up future capacity.

For a product this long in the planning such a major misstep doesn’t help success. I’m sure there are a number of factors involved, but it pretty much gives T a near-exclusive on the first few months of release along with the accompanying promotional support.

• Posted: 18 September 2010 10:16 PM #6

Can anyone think of a more perfect storm surrounding Verizon?

• Posted: 19 September 2010 01:20 AM #7

danthemason - 19 September 2010 01:16 AM

No iPhone. Left out of the Windows 7 Phone launch (for whatever activity that might create) and hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing for a rebranded Motorola Android phone. Verizon is also about to lose its status as the #1 wireless services provider to AT&T (thanks to the iPhone).

It’s a good thing the company pays a rich dividend.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 04:13 AM #8

DawnTreader - 19 September 2010 04:20 AM
    danthemason - 19 September 2010 01:16 AM

No iPhone. Left out of the Windows 7 Phone launch (for whatever activity that might create) and hundreds of millions of dollars spent on marketing for a rebranded Motorola Android phone. Verizon is also about to lose its status as the #1 wireless services provider to AT&T (thanks to the iPhone).

It’s a good thing the company pays a rich dividend.

I’m not sure Verizon was “left out” of the Windows 7 Phone launch. Rather, it chose to defer, presumably because it wants to give maximum exposure to it’s own Verizon flavored Android phones.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 05:23 AM #9

macorange - 19 September 2010 07:13 AM

I’m not sure Verizon was “left out” of the Windows 7 Phone launch. Rather, it chose to defer, presumably because it wants to give maximum exposure to it’s own Verizon flavored Android phones.

That’s not the reason stated by a Microsoft exec as quoted in this Wall Street Journal article.

Verizon is about to be surpassed by AT&T as the #1 wireless services provider based on subscriber count and the company’s share price and analyst estimates reflect its compromised position. I don’t think Verizon can afford to lose much more to AT&T and passing on the new Microsoft phone initiative and ceding those sales to AT&T isn’t a smart move and I’d be surprised if Verizon purposely chose that option.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 12:51 PM #10

I have no idea if this delay will impact the ultimate success/failure of Windows Phone 7 ... certainly, it will make things for challenging for MSFT.

I think Windows Phone 7 will actually help Apple in that it has the potential to weaken Android and RIM:

Android - I think manufacturers are starting to see that Android is not the panacea promised by Google ... that is has made them vulnerable to the whims of the carriers and Google (as Motorola and Samsung have just discovered) ... Windows Phone 7 gives them more stability ... as in, you pay the licensing fee, build the phone to spec and have the support of MSFT.

RIM - I think they are ultimately being pinched because employers are allowing their employees to choose the phone they want to use for work (within reason) ... Windows Phone 7 provides another ‘safe’ alternative for employers to offer.

Posted: 19 September 2010 02:25 PM #11

I think Verizon will have to move to the international flavour of 3G, not the CDMA type. After all, the number of Verizon customers pales in comparison to what is available. Making an iPhone or other devices for a limited network must be a manufacturing and logistical onus that most OEMs would rather do without.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 04:17 PM #12

Verizon are protecting their Android investment at the moment. They have complete control over what they do with it and are very happy to have regained the status quo…

Meanwhile Microsoft appears to be cloning the concept of the first iPhone down to the last minutia. No Verizon, check, no cut and paste, check, no multitasking, check. One would have hoped they could have used a different approach. But no.

Signature

• Posted: 19 September 2010 04:28 PM #13

rattyuk - 19 September 2010 07:17 PM

Verizon are protecting their Android investment at the moment. They have complete control over what they do with it and are very happy to have regained the status quo…

Management might be satisfied but there’s nothing to excite investors. AT&T is out maneuvering Verizon at almost every turn.

• Posted: 19 September 2010 06:35 PM #14

Verizon are protecting their Android investment at the moment. They have complete control over what they do with it and are very happy to have regained the status quo….

It seems to me that Verizon’s actions with regard to Android have been very short-sighted. They removed google search, removed other programs and made their own programs mandatory and they’re creating their own app store. But if they successfully divorce themselves from Google, Google will have little choice but to abandon the leadership of Android.

It’s like Verizon is waging a war to win the barn that houses the goose that lays the golden eggs. Meanwhile, the war that Verizon has begun has driven the goose from the barn. Verizon is going to end up with the barn (A Google-less Android) and no golden eggs (profit).

Posted: 19 September 2010 07:23 PM #15

DawnTreader - 19 September 2010 07:28 PM

Management might be satisfied but there’s nothing to excite investors. AT&T is out maneuvering Verizon at almost every turn.

To a point.

iPhone 4 is the single biggest reason for AT&T’s success as of late, and AT&T has rewarded users with still-pretty-lousy service.  To have any hopes of long-term consumer adds, AT&T needs to plow resources into network improvement without unduly passing it on to consumers in the form of things like lousy monthly data caps.  I’ve never gone over 2GB/mo. data yet, but I’m not giving up my unlimited data for anything.

Oh yeah, Microsoft’s Windows Phone 7 deal.  Talk about irrelevant and caught in a hopeless game of catch-up.  The 6.5 users have moved on or soon will be, I’m sure.  Microsoft will have to get past RIMM, Symbian and Android before even having a hope at directly attacking iPhone.  Software is king, and iOS holds the crown.

[ Edited: 19 September 2010 07:26 PM by Mav ]

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.