Windows Phone 7 GSM-Only At Launch

• Posted: 19 September 2010 07:48 PM #16

DawnTreader - 19 September 2010 07:28 PM
    rattyuk - 19 September 2010 07:17 PM

Verizon are protecting their Android investment at the moment. They have complete control over what they do with it and are very happy to have regained the status quo…

Management might be satisfied but there’s nothing to excite investors. AT&T is out maneuvering Verizon at almost every turn.

I don’t know… I pay for 9 iPhone lines (8 are iP4),  and two iPad 3G’s, and two AT&T macrocells and I hate AT&T. The constant dropping of calls makes me crazy. I understand that service is very local, but my experiences since 2007 have not been great and I have recently noticed a service degradation.

I will leave AT&T for ANY other provider that has better service (with the iPhone) and I will pay the termination fees and sell the phones on Ebay for more than enough to cover the switching costs.

I know that I’m the exception to the rule but AT&T has exposure when they lose iphone exclusivity.

For now, AT&T looks golden as they pile up monthly reoccurring iPad fees which were not previously in WS estimates.

As far as AT&T Investor’s…  The 1, 2, 5+ year returns are not good, even factoring in the dividends. The stock is one of the worst performing large caps from the March 2008 lows.

Signature

Inflation robs from the past, deflation robs from the future. Pick your poison.

Posted: 19 September 2010 08:02 PM #17

jeffi - 19 September 2010 10:48 PM
    DawnTreader - 19 September 2010 07:28 PM
    rattyuk - 19 September 2010 07:17 PM

Verizon are protecting their Android investment at the moment. They have complete control over what they do with it and are very happy to have regained the status quo…

Management might be satisfied but there’s nothing to excite investors. AT&T is out maneuvering Verizon at almost every turn.

I don’t know… I pay for 9 iPhone lines (8 are iP4),  and two iPad 3G’s, and two AT&T macrocells and I hate AT&T. The constant dropping of calls makes me crazy. I understand that service is very local, but my experiences since 2007 have not been great and I have recently noticed a service degradation.

I will leave AT&T for ANY other provider that has better service (with the iPhone) and I will pay the termination fees and sell the phones on Ebay for more than enough to cover the switching costs.

I know that I’m the exception to the rule but AT&T has exposure when they lose iphone exclusivity.

For now, AT&T looks golden as they pile up monthly reoccurring iPad fees which were not previously in WS estimates.

As far as AT&T Investor’s…  The 1, 2, 5+ year returns are not good, even factoring in the dividends. The stock is one of the worst performing large caps from the March 2008 lows.

@Jeffi

Wondering where your located.  I live in the Detroit metro area and the ATT service is okay.  Still plenty of dead spots, I lose about a call every other day.  I find it frustrating but acceptable for mobile comm.

As far as Windows and GSM only, Microsoft has to line up both carriers and OEM handset makers to bring their OS back onto the landscape so I’m sure they worked their key partners hard and Verizon decided to punt until 2011, because they have more control in the Android game.  We will have to see which US carriers have adds in the 4th qtr.  I personally wouldn’t count either Nokia or Microsoft out.  They still have many friends and the field of battle can change rapidly.  I look forward to Apple adding more carrier partners like the recent adds from Germany and am a bit concerned about the iPhone 4 shortages.

Posted: 19 September 2010 08:40 PM #18

I like that Windows Phone 7 is a ground-up redesign.  If it makes major strides in some aspects of mobile computing, the competition will make everyone better.  But the game is Apple’s to lose right now, and Apple doesn’t need to be anywhere close to #1 to be winning.

I think the shortages of iPhone 4 are little more than a function of insanely high demand.  This is a really, really great device.  Hopefully Tim Cook won’t be citing any production issues in the next CC.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 08 October 2010 03:40 PM #19

Wow. This is a brutal quote from on the upcoming Windows Phone 7 from Verizon’s COO, Lowell McAdam:

“We like our relationship with Microsoft,” he said. “But clearly in the US there are three major mobile operating systems: RIM, Google, and Apple.” The executive went on to admit that Verizon does not see Microsoft as a major player in mobile anymore. “Microsoft is not at the forefront of our mind,” he added.

http://www.electronista.com/articles/10/10/08/microsoft.not.at.the.forefront.of.verizons.mind/#ixzz11nI0XtwO

How the mighty have fallen.

Posted: 08 October 2010 03:44 PM #20

The quote says a lot about Verizon as well.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 09 October 2010 12:14 PM #21

Ballmer is feeling the heat in an article that poses the question:  “Should Ballmer Go?”  Within the article, Ballmer’s bonus was cut (in half?)  So what?  I don’t think he’ll have any trouble staying off the exit ramp with a cardboard sign.  Read here

Now, for the real “insider” part about MS dissension within the employee ranks, this is a must read.

[ Edited: 09 October 2010 12:18 PM by ByeTMO ]      
  • Posted: 09 October 2010 06:28 PM #22

Mercel - 09 October 2010 03:14 PM

Ballmer is feeling the heat…

Oh yes he realy is. macbidouille.com (the french original of hardmac.com) is reprinting parts of an interview Mr. Balmer gave to “Le Monde”:
    After admitting that Microsoft is behind in OS, he praises the new Windows Phone 7. And to put a measure to the OS’s quality he makes the following statement:

Let us meet a year from now: Windows phones will be the only ones in the market with an identy as strong as the iPhone.

So now it is oficial for all to see: iPhone obviously is the “measure of all things”.

• Posted: 09 October 2010 08:32 PM #23

ghobi - 09 October 2010 09:28 PM

Let us meet a year from now: Windows phones will be the only ones in the market with an identy as strong as the iPhone.

So now it is oficial for all to see: iPhone obviously is the “measure of all things”.

A year from now Ballmer will be unemployed and part of his business epitaph will be: “Couldn’t develop decent phone with 7 year head start; couldn’t develop decent tablet with 10 year head start.”

• Posted: 11 October 2010 03:10 PM #24

I saw this comment on Asymco and thought it had an interesting insight:

“I think the iPhone on Verizon and WP7 on other carriers is bad news for Android hence the paranoia. Android is going to slow to a crawl and that is bad news for Google and their supporters as they can no longer make noise about activation numbers and forecasts of 50% market share and other silly punditry stuff.
    More platforms are good for Apple but bad for horizontal players like Google. I cannot wait for those Q1 2011 market share stats (I am hoping that the Verizon iPhone is end Jan 2011).”

@ThembeK ? 1 hour ago
    http://www.asymco.com/2010/10/11/what-did-andy-rubin-mean-by-saying-wp7-was-created-for-political-reasons/

The part I hadn’t considered is that WP7 could dilute both Android and Blackberry.  Is it likely that WP7 could actually improve iPhone’s position in the marketplace?

• Posted: 11 October 2010 03:34 PM #25

Francisco Geraci - 11 October 2010 06:10 PM

The part I hadn’t considered is that WP7 could dilute both Android and Blackberry.  Is it likely that WP7 could actually improve iPhone’s position in the marketplace?

I’m not sure how this is going to play out.

When Android was originally announced, I thought it would help the iPhone by sweeping away the debris like Windows Mobile and by attacking Blackberry. Of course, shortly after the iPhone debuted, Android took a hard right turn and transformed itself from a Blackberry clone into an iPhone clone. Nonetheless, my original prediction may have been essentially accurate. Both the iPhone and Android are growing unabated. They are obviously not competing head-to-head as the pundits and the technoratti seem to believe. In many ways, what Android has done is irrelevant to the iPhone since even if Android had not existed, the iPhone could not have sold any faster than it already has. The only difference would have been that Windows, RIM and others would have retained larger market share of the mobile phone market than they now have.

As someone else recently said (I’m sorry to say I can’t recall who) Windows Phone 7 and Android are going to go to war to see who can win second place. The iPhone will simply continue unimpeded on it’s march to first place. I have grave doubts that the new Windows Phone 7 can survive in the long term. But I haven’t even tried to foresee how the upcoming competition will play out in the short term.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I was thinking a bit more on this. Windows Phone 7 is really going to be hurt by the fact that it is initially only offered by AT&T. It is going head to head with iPhone and has no chance of capturing any of the Android market. When a potential customer goes into an AT&T store, and they compare the iPhone with the new Windows Phone 7, does Windows Phone 7 really stand up well? It’s supposed to be a very nice phone, but it’s a 1.0 offering with some wholes and missing a whole lot of ecosystem. No matter how good Windows Phone 7 might be in practice, the “checklist” that salespeople will use to compare it to the iPhone will all go in the iPhone’s favor.

I think Microsoft’s in this for the long run because I think Ballmer has staked everything, including his job, on this. But the first few months could be very, very rough for the Windows Phone 7 Phone and it’s ridiculously redundantly named phone phone.

[ Edited: 11 October 2010 04:33 PM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 11 October 2010 04:13 PM #26

This is a bit off topic but it’s funny. I live and work in a town called Lakewood Ranch in Florida. You may be familiar with the Microsoft Tag program. We are the first community to be fully tagged “top to bottom. We had a press conference this morning an Microsoft sent their head of the Tag department from New York. He gave a presentation about how the Tags work with smart phones. When he was done, he leaves the podium and the next person comes up to speak. He picks up the phone and announces, “You left your Iphone on the podium”. And yes, it was an Iphone.

• Posted: 16 February 2011 08:47 AM #27

Motorola, Verizon not excited about Windows Phone 7

?I don?t think Verizon needs the Nokia and Microsoft relationship,? Verizon CTO Tony Melone said, according to CNET. ?Right now the three OS players we see for our network are Android, Apple, and RIM. ?

Ouch!