Verizon CEO: iPhone Not Coming Soon

• Posted: 23 September 2010 06:53 PM

Here’s the news. The iPhone is not coming to Verizon anytime soon.

Posted: 23 September 2010 07:54 PM #1

Until it does.

It’s either a 4G thing or Verizon won’t work with Apple thing.  No matter.  Apple will just keep expanding iPhone internationally and sticking with GSM.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 23 September 2010 08:32 PM #2

Mav - 23 September 2010 10:54 PM

Until it does.

It’s either a 4G thing or Verizon won’t work with Apple thing.  No matter.  Apple will just keep expanding iPhone internationally and sticking with GSM.

Exactly. No iPhone this calendar year or early next calendar year. For those who have been waiting, there’s no longer a reason (real or imagined) to hold off on buying an iPhone 4.

• Posted: 23 September 2010 08:49 PM #3

We know that Apple went to Verizon and Verizon rejected them. We know that Apple went to AT&T and entered into a five year exclusive deal. (From court documents) We do not know if that deal has been modified or what the “out” clause is, but we know that there is an out clause because Apple seriously considered moving to Verizon on several prior occasions (From an article that I am too lazy to cite.)

Isn’t it possible that back in 2007, Apple looked into their crystal ball and predicted that LTE would start to become available on Verizon around about the summer of 2012? And since the iPhone is selling as fast as it can be made, isn’t it possible that Apple will wait on LTE technology before seriously approaching Verizon? And isn’t it possible that by that time Verizon will be under so much pressure that they’ll buckle and agree to Apple’s terms?

Just saying….

Posted: 23 September 2010 09:20 PM #4

FalKirk - 23 September 2010 11:49 PM

We know that Apple went to Verizon and Verizon rejected them. We know that Apple went to AT&T and entered into a five year exclusive deal. (From court documents) We do not know if that deal has been modified or what the “out” clause is, but we know that there is an out clause because Apple seriously considered moving to Verizon on several prior occasions (From an article that I am too lazy to cite.)

Isn’t it possible that back in 2007, Apple looked into their crystal ball and predicted that LTE would start to become available on Verizon around about the summer of 2012? And since the iPhone is selling as fast as it can be made, isn’t it possible that Apple will wait on LTE technology before seriously approaching Verizon? And isn’t it possible that by that time Verizon will be under so much pressure that they’ll buckle and agree to Apple’s terms?

Just saying….

My crystal ball is all foggy,  but IMO the iPad does not fall under the ATT contract and so Apple might be using those Dec Qualcomm chips to power a EVDO/LTE board for the IPad.  This would be a much easy negotiation since it has no carrier subsidy and then Verizon would have an iDevice.  Maybe they will throw in FaceTime via LTE.  I still think we will see something in the first half of 2011 in regards to Verizon.

• Posted: 23 September 2010 09:28 PM #5

Just saying….

I don’t recall the court documents revealing the 5 year agreement.  But if the agreement contains escape hatches that are spring-loaded, then the 5 year agreement means nothing.  We’ve heard too much about AAPL courting alternative carriers to think AAPL is restricted from brooming ATT when the timing/technology is right.  I’m betting on Jan 2011 for AAPL to tender the “get-out-of-jail” card w/ATT.

• Posted: 23 September 2010 10:03 PM #6

Just saying….

I said this last October, and I think this is reinforced by Seidenberg’s comments today:

“we?ll see iPhone on Verizon when their network is ready for the iPhone, not when a new iPhone is ready for their network.”

I’m still left wondering why he’d come out with a statement at all? As DT mentioned, doesn’t this just give a lot of customers, or potential customers, the idea that they should kill any ideas they had of moving or staying with Verizon in hopes of getting an iPhone there? Why make any statement at all?

• Posted: 23 September 2010 10:32 PM #7

cranium - 24 September 2010 01:03 AM

Just saying….

I said this last October, and I think this is reinforced by Seidenberg’s comments today:

“we?ll see iPhone on Verizon when their network is ready for the iPhone, not when a new iPhone is ready for their network.”

I’m still left wondering why he’d come out with a statement at all? As DT mentioned, doesn’t this just give a lot of customers, or potential customers, the idea that they should kill any ideas they had of moving or staying with Verizon in hopes of getting an iPhone there? Why make any statement at all?

Uncertainty isn’t good for the stock price or business in general.  He’s probably thinking that it’s just best to take the hit (whatever it may be) in a bad economy and move forward.  A certain percentage of Verizon customers who were waiting for an iphone will give up and possibly purchase an android handset to stay with Verizon.  Who knows?  They might even be happy with their decision.  wink

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 24 September 2010 12:30 AM #8

cranium - 24 September 2010 01:03 AM

Just saying….

Bad news is better than uncertain news and any Verizon customers hedging about waiting to buy an iPhone rather than a Droid now has the knowledge to buy a Droid or….

Not a pleasant scenario, but there might be millions of Verizon customers to lock on on a new plan. I’m sure the rumors have skewed contract renewals.

• Posted: 24 September 2010 12:32 AM #9

BillH - 24 September 2010 01:32 AM

Uncertainty isn’t good for the stock price or business in general.  He’s probably thinking that it’s just best to take the hit (whatever it may be) in a bad economy and move forward.  A certain percentage of Verizon customers who were waiting for an iphone will give up and possibly purchase an android handset to stay with Verizon.  Who knows?  They might even be happy with their decision.  wink

At this time iPhones are in constrained supply. No better time to deliver bad news.

• Posted: 24 September 2010 04:19 AM #10

DawnTreader - 24 September 2010 03:32 AM
    BillH - 24 September 2010 01:32 AM

At this time iPhones are in constrained supply. No better time to deliver bad news.

I think you’ve misconstrued what I was saying.  It’s Verizon that’s been hurt by all this uncertainty…,not Apple.  Apple just keeps pumping out every one they can sell and will continue to do so Verizon or no Verizon.  We follow Apple here so of course there is some cringing that takes place every time the rumor of Apples arrival at Verizon is floated.  Now view it from Verizon’s side.  Every time they gain a little traction for Droid or whatever product they’re trying to shill along comes another iPhone rumor and…,more wasted marketing dollars down the drain.  Just the fact that the rumor is of interest proves to the hopeful (and less than)  that a better product is coming to Verizon.  They have to be just sick to death of it.  :-D

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 24 September 2010 04:34 AM #11

The iPhone will be incredibly disruptive to Verizon’s service.  There’s no way Apple would allow VCast, VZ Navigator, etc. on an iPhone (that or have Verizon submit an equivalent-functionality app for approval…somehow I don’t see that happening).  And Verizon’s implementation of Visual Voicemail…*shudder*.

Verizon will either have to retool its business philosophy or make big exceptions for iPhone just for things to work, “culturally speaking”.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Team™
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 24 September 2010 08:54 AM #12

Another rumor via Digitimes

Monica Chen, Taipei; Steve Shen, DIGITIMES [Friday 24 September 2010]

Pegatron Technology is expected to begin volume production of a CDMA-version iPhone 4 in November with total shipments likely to reach 3-4 million units in the first three months, and 10 million by mid-2011, according to industry sources.

With shipments of iPhone 4, and orders from Asustek Computer, Acer, Toshiba and Sony as well as tablet PC orders from HTC, Pegatron is expected to snap up handsome profits in the first half of 2011, the sources noted.

Hard to keep up with all the conflicting data, but I think if we are really having a Jan launch we should start seeing some EVDO network traffic at some of the web site/application as the device moves into field testing on the actual Verizon network

• Posted: 24 September 2010 02:22 PM #13

DawnTreader - 23 September 2010 11:32 PM

Exactly. No iPhone this calendar year or early next calendar year. For those who have been waiting, there’s no longer a reason (real or imagined) to hold off on buying an iPhone 4.

Well, I can think of one.  AT&T.  I do not do business with them, and I know many people who think similarly.  (This is a more widespread issue than you might think, with reasons varying from NYC/SF poor signal to dislike of their usurious cancellation fee structure to poor past experiences to continuing fallout from the insider stock rape that accompanied the Ma Bell ATT divestiture in the 1980s).  If the iPhone were to be a perpetual ATT exclusive, then, despite being a Mac fanatic in every way, I would never own one.  And I’m pretty sure that Jobs & Co. have no intention of leaving my money uncollected.

I’ve been saying all along that the iPhone won’t come to Verizon until LTE is in place.  All this CDMA rumoring and early-release VZ speculation simply makes no sense.  By the end of the year, LTE will be functional; by mid-2011, it will be flourishing; by mid-2012, it will be ubiquitous.  Apple doesn’t have to kowtow to Verizon.  The mountain will come to Mohammed.  The soonest I could see an iPhone on Verizon LTE would be mid-2011, but it might make more financial and legal sense for Apple to just ride out the end of the ATT contract and go universal a year later rather than paying for a termination option.

IF it’s true that there really is a CDMA iPhone in the offing, it makes more long-term sense for it to be headed to Sprint, who is sticking with CDMA for their 4G framework.  And heck, I might just bolt from Verizon for Sprint if that comes true.  Verizon is the worst wireless carrier, except for all the other ones.  I can tolerate the drawbacks of Sprint in return for access to an Apple device I strongly desire.  Further, a CDMA iPhone on Sprint could be jailbroken into a Verizon iPhone, in theory.  I don’t like having to jury-rig my own property to make it functional.  That’s why I haven’t just bought an iPhone already and jumped to T-Mobile.

For now, I’ll use my Blackberry Curve, which iPhoners everyone probably sneer at but is actually a remarkably functional little handset with little of the Android overwroughtness.  And it was quite a bit cheaper, for what that’s worth.  I imagine in a year or so I’ll be able to replace it with an iPhone without being forced to contract with an undesirable third party.

Posted: 24 September 2010 03:38 PM #14

Ross Edwards - 24 September 2010 05:22 PM
    DawnTreader - 23 September 2010 11:32 PM

Well, I can think of one.  AT&T.  I do not do business with them, and I know many people who think similarly.  (This is a more widespread issue than you might think, with reasons varying from NYC/SF poor signal to dislike of their usurious cancellation fee structure to poor past experiences to continuing fallout from the insider stock rape that accompanied the Ma Bell ATT divestiture in the 1980s).  If the iPhone were to be a perpetual ATT exclusive, then, despite being a Mac fanatic in every way, I would never own one.  And I’m pretty sure that Jobs & Co. have no intention of leaving my money uncollected.

I’ve been saying all along that the iPhone won’t come to Verizon until LTE is in place.  All this CDMA rumoring and early-release VZ speculation simply makes no sense.  By the end of the year, LTE will be functional; by mid-2011, it will be flourishing; by mid-2012, it will be ubiquitous.  Apple doesn’t have to kowtow to Verizon.  The mountain will come to Mohammed.  The soonest I could see an iPhone on Verizon LTE would be mid-2011, but it might make more financial and legal sense for Apple to just ride out the end of the ATT contract and go universal a year later rather than paying for a termination option.

IF it’s true that there really is a CDMA iPhone in the offing, it makes more long-term sense for it to be headed to Sprint, who is sticking with CDMA for their 4G framework.  And heck, I might just bolt from Verizon for Sprint if that comes true.  Verizon is the worst wireless carrier, except for all the other ones.  I can tolerate the drawbacks of Sprint in return for access to an Apple device I strongly desire.  Further, a CDMA iPhone on Sprint could be jailbroken into a Verizon iPhone, in theory.  I don’t like having to jury-rig my own property to make it functional.  That’s why I haven’t just bought an iPhone already and jumped to T-Mobile.

For now, I’ll use my Blackberry Curve, which iPhoners everyone probably sneer at but is actually a remarkably functional little handset with little of the Android overwroughtness.  And it was quite a bit cheaper, for what that’s worth.  I imagine in a year or so I’ll be able to replace it with an iPhone without being forced to contract with an undesirable third party.

I think many folks are confused by the alphabet soup of all the networks.  If the iPhone goes to Verizon, then the voice will be via CDMA and data will fall back to EVDO when LTE is not available,  It is not like Verizon is turning off one network and turning on another overnite.  If we are to believe Verizon they will turn on LTE data service in 30 major markets by the end of 2010.  They will be looking for devices to showcase the new network and my bet is the iPad will be featured, but I think the iPhone will also be on Verizon in 2011.  As far as Sprint their 4G data network is based on WIMAX not CDMA.  The voice standard for LTE is still in flux.  You have the GSMA folks pushing voLTE and the competitor VoLGA so no matter what an iPhone on Verizon will still have a CDMA chipset to support voice.  Since Qualcomm is the only logical source of a CDMA chipset, I believe the rumors that Apple is buying Qualcomm chips for the both iPhone and iPad.

Posted: 24 September 2010 03:43 PM #15

I find it quite entertaining that the day after the Verizon CEO says its not coming, an anonymous source says it is. Verizon knows exactly what it is doing. It is trying to reassure its customers while putting up a strong front to Apple.

Disclosure, I hate all the telecoms. Some more than others and would hate to rank them in any order. :-x

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.