S1       290.74
      midpoint   289.95
    S2       289.15
      midpoint   287.66
    S3       286.17
      midpoint   284.68
    S4       283.19

Posted: 27 September 2010 12:56 AM #17

Mercel, at one time you was making a living with the 260’s. Are you still doing the 260’s or have you changed strike points?

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 27 September 2010 01:08 AM #18

mbeauch - 27 September 2010 03:56 AM

Mercel, at one time you was making a living with the 260’s. Are you still doing the 260’s or have you changed strike points?

I own Jan calls at 130, 170, 230, and 250.  I’ve got capital gains going on all of them, except for the 250s.  I’ve got my eyes on Jan ‘12 290s next pullback.  I’ll also be giving April ‘11 280s a look this week.

• Posted: 27 September 2010 01:12 AM #19

Mercel - 27 September 2010 03:52 AM
    Mav - 27 September 2010 03:41 AM

On the one hand, many of us probably missed the trading opportunity of a lifetime.  On the other hand, we know a good trend when we see it and can still capture some nice gains, being ahead of the AAPL knowledge curve.

I was buying at $240.  I held more calls than I’ve ever owned.  And I’m grateful for the run.  I sold much of those purchases from $270 to $280.  Nonetheless, I’m still controlling more shares than I owned back in April - June with more cash in the bank today, largely from moving into options exclusively.  It’s a great time to own Apple…

Ditto with the Sept. 260 calls. But I was selling at 265. The price action forced me to get back in around 272 with the Oct 280 and 290 calls. Out again at 287. Regret selling. But bird in hand…

FWIW, I’m playing as if downside risk is minimal. Why? As long as the hope of earnings is there, it should act as a flotation device against any unforeseen flash flood the next 3 weeks.

Posted: 27 September 2010 05:04 AM #20

The news about the iPhone 4 launch in China is impressive but not surprising.

Looks like there won’t be much in the way of numbers to add to Apple’s fiscal Q4, with “only” 60,000 iPhone sales (presumably, iPhone 4 sales) in roughly 3-4 sales days.  OTOH, with pre-orders in the 200,000 range and likely much higher walk-in interest, if the 600,000 pre-orders/1.7 million sales numbers from the US launch are anything to go by, it’ll be a monster holiday quarter for China Unicom.  Granted, it’s launch week, but 15-20k iPhone 4 sold per day so far vs. a 2.5k or so run rate on the way to 100,000 iPhone 3GS handsets sold last year bodes very, very well for a big contribution to fiscal Q1 numbers…just as long as Apple can fulfil all the worldwide demand!

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

Posted: 27 September 2010 09:00 AM #21

Final days of the month, end of quarter, window dressing…

What will come to play this week? The pre-market just opened with AAPL @$293.20. We have seen the stock going straight up like forever. It opens with a gap up and then is up, up and away (Fifth Dimension background).

Players are probably pricing in an extraordinary quarter and tremendous demand for the iPad and iPhone. Analysts are upping their targets on higher trends. Do we have signs of topping? Not yet on my book. Momentum has been strong and the trend is for more upside. We should be three weeks for the announced earnings results and good news keep coming in. What could go wrong?

The SPX futures still standing at strong resistance and did not advance from Friday?s closing on the Globex. We saw it make higher highs Friday. However at this point (1148) it pulled back last Tuesday and corrected for three days before making new highs Friday breaking out decisively from 1130. SPX 1148-1150 is the key number for the homework now. Also it would bode well if the small caps went through resistance at 675-680 as the RUT was sitting @ 671.01 Friday?s closing.

There is not much in economic data, catalyst should come on unexpected news or breakout through resistance on the indices.

Started placing some small short time bets last Friday to try to catch some of the upside, specially if the market keeps the strong momentum and we get some window dressing. Maybe should have stayed on the sidelines, but the opportunity looks right for me.

[ Edited: 27 September 2010 09:05 AM by BrazilNuts ]      
  • Posted: 27 September 2010 09:34 AM #22

Mercel - 27 September 2010 03:52 AM
    Mav - 27 September 2010 03:41 AM

On the one hand, many of us probably missed the trading opportunity of a lifetime.  On the other hand, we know a good trend when we see it and can still capture some nice gains, being ahead of the AAPL knowledge curve.

I was buying at $240.  I held more calls than I’ve ever owned.  And I’m grateful for the run.  I sold much of those purchases from $270 to $280.  Nonetheless, I’m still controlling more shares than I owned back in April - June with more cash in the bank today, largely from moving into options exclusively.  It’s a great time to own Apple…

I picked up some JAN 2012 LEAPS on stink bids back in July.  Thursday I sold to close all of my Jan 2011 calls for significant gains.  Early Friday morning I used that money to buy double of the number of contracts in Jan 2011 300’s and November 300’s.

Right now I am sitting at, on a dollar value basis, 10% November $300’s, 40% Jan 2011 $300’s, 40% Jan 2012 $230’s and 260’s and 10% cash.

I’m thinking it will work out all right.  I’ll be watching those November’s pretty closely

Posted: 27 September 2010 09:47 AM #23

Futures are even, but AAPL pre-market is 294+.

Posted: 27 September 2010 09:49 AM #24

Planing on rolling over the cash from the Jan 2011 call sales to some 2013’s as soon as we pull back a bit (if we ever do!).

Also planning on some Nov calls to play the earnings release which I think will be huge this quarter.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 27 September 2010 10:36 AM #25

Canaccord Genuity raises AAPL price target to $366 from $356 rating BUY.

Posted: 27 September 2010 11:12 AM #26

Early going, the SPX retreated from resistance 1148 with strong footing at 1145 and rebounding. Still far from support/breakout of 1130.

AAPL with volatility, however dip buyers are not allowing yet for it to go bellow $292.90s.

Lots of talk on how not to fight the Fed?s printing machine and bearish talks on how extended and overbought we are. Many players pressing shorts on the SPY and QQQQ.

Indecision on the first hour. Watching how it develops for the 11:00AM trade hour.

Posted: 27 September 2010 11:15 AM #27

I saw these numbers last night and didn’t believe them, but here they are.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/sep2010/tc20100926_023792.htm

Apple estimated to have 21% of the mobile ad market.  Same as Google. As much as everyone else combined.

• Posted: 27 September 2010 11:17 AM #28

From today’s NYTimes:
    September 27, 2010, 12:13 AM
    Study Finds That Apple Dominates Tech News
    By BRIAN STELTER

Ramin Talaie/Bloomberg News

A new study confirms what some in the technology industry have long sensed: Apple commands an inordinate amount of the media?s attention.

A yearlong look at technology news coverage by the Pew Research Center?s Project for Excellence in Journalism found that 15.1 percent of tech articles were primarily about Apple; 11.4 percent were about Google; and a meager 3 percent were about Microsoft.

It?s not as if Microsoft lacks for public relations people. But Apple is especially effective at seizing journalists? attention, said Amy S. Mitchell, the deputy director of the Project for Excellence in Journalism, citing the anticipation for new devices and Apple?s ?very public way of releasing products.?

Apple software powers only a tiny slice of the world?s computers, an area dominated by Microsoft. But its popular and innovative iPods and iPhones helped Apple exceed Microsoft?s market capitalization earlier this year.

Ms. Mitchell said she was surprised by the extent of Apple?s domination of the media?s diet, ?even over Google.?

The Pew study, to be released on Monday, assessed technology coverage by 52 newspapers, broadcast and Web sites from June 2009 through June 2010. The release of a new version of the iPhone was the No. 2 most-talked-about tech story during that time, representing 6.4 percent of all coverage, and the release of the iPad was No. 4, representing 4.6 percent.

Microsoft released a new version of its Windows operating system during that time, too, but it garnered one half of 1 percent of all coverage.

The single biggest storyline was texting while driving, accounting for 8.5 percent of all tech articles during that time. The study noted that The New York Times earned a Pulitzer Prize for its series called ?Driven to Distraction,? about the dangers of using electronic devices while driving.

A report summarizing the study concluded that the media has ?double vision about the digital age,? because the most prevalent message in news coverage is that ?technology is making life easier and more productive,? but the second most common message is that there are risks to users? privacy and safety.

On an unrelated topic, trying to purchase a decent size of stock with my Fidelity IRA online account @ 3:59 Thurs I pressed the Buy button and the message came back that the trade didn’t execute, please place it later, or call for assistance.  Of course, by the time the number was looked up and called the market was closed.  Anyone have a similar experience, what was done, what I should request be done?  I’m furious over this.  Of course, it was up the next day and today.

Posted: 27 September 2010 12:08 PM #29

BrazilNuts - 27 September 2010 01:36 PM

How is it with this review of the tablet market going forward that Canaccord only raised their price target $10?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/27/can-anybody-beat-the-ipad/

Posted: 27 September 2010 12:21 PM #30

NatasRevol - 27 September 2010 03:08 PM
    BrazilNuts - 27 September 2010 01:36 PM

How is it with this review of the tablet market going forward that Canaccord only raised their price target $10?

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/09/27/can-anybody-beat-the-ipad/

There is no explanation. Maybe the analyst is seeing lower margins?