The Apple iPad And Why I’m Glad I Purchased The 3G Model

Posted: 01 October 2010 11:29 PM #16

BillH - 01 October 2010 10:58 PM
    jpashin - 01 October 2010 09:41 PM

I just got back from a conference in DC.
    iPads everywhere. iPhones everywhere. MacBooks everywhere (~50% of the laptops at the meeting).

Must have been a “consumer” conference.  We all know there hasn’t been any adoption in the “enterprise”.  :-D

It was a “provider” conference directed toward technology managers in the energy sector (electric utilities and petroleum companies).

Most of these people would not have touched an Apple device before the iPhone!
    I’ll bet a lot of IT departments are becoming very uncomfortable…

• Posted: 01 October 2010 11:37 PM #17

DawnTreader - 01 October 2010 07:15 AM

I’ve been working hard on my FQ4 estimates and took a much needed break late tonight to post about the benefits of the Apple iPad with 3G.

It’s my latest entry at The iPad Chronicles.

Snippet: When I purchased the Apple iPad in July I was aware I’d be spending, accessories included, more than what most people would invest in a netbook or notebook PC. After almost three months of very active use, I’ve come to the conclusion the Apple iPad isn’t a replacement for a netbook or notebook PC. Rather, it’s a device that transcends the PC paradigm completely.

If one is contemplating the purchase of an Apple iPad and choosing between models, the dollars invested in a 3G model are dollars well spent.

After looking at some amazing numbers for the quarter, I chose to take a break and write about the device that has made those numbers possible.

The original topic post back for page 2.  grin

• Posted: 02 October 2010 12:36 AM #18

I hemmed and hawed about whether to purchase the WiFi only or the 3G version of the iPad for my mother. Ultimately, I decided on the Wifi only version but then the decision was taken out of my hands on the day I went to make my purchase. They only had the 3G in stock.

My mother has had the iPad for over a month now and we’ve never activated the 3G. Sometimes it hasn’t worked in a restaurant. Sometimes she would have liked to have used it in the car. But the inconveniences have been very, very minor. Knowing what I know now, I would have gotten her the WiFi only version.

Having said that, I still think the 3G version may come in handy. Sometimes she takes vacations and it’s most likely that 3G won’t be available in the locations she haunts (think brother and sisters and family and such). On those occasions it might well be worth it to activate the 3G for a month.

All in all, the decision depends upon one’s circumstances. If you’re in business, get the 3G version. It’s a $130 insurance policy that you’re almost certain to cash in. On the other hand, if you’re buying the iPad for use at home, get the WiFi version. Those who have kids will have a decision to make. Will you kids demand internet connectivity in the car or will they be satisfied with games and such when traveling between WiFi hotspots?  Only you can say for sure. But unless you NEED the everywhere connectivity, I’m guessing you’ll be surprised at how useful the WiFi only version of the iPad can be.

• Posted: 02 October 2010 12:42 AM #19

The improved GPS is worth the extra even without the activation of the 3G.

Signature

• Posted: 02 October 2010 01:39 AM #20

rattyuk - 02 October 2010 03:42 AM

Good point.  grin

the more I use the Apple ipad the more I’m impressed with its features and its capabilities. It screams for iOS4.

• Posted: 02 October 2010 03:14 AM #21

FalKirk - 02 October 2010 03:36 AM

All in all, the decision depends upon one’s circumstances. If you’re in business, get the 3G version. It’s a $130 insurance policy that you’re almost certain to cash in.

That’s true. I’m using my Apple iPad quite actively at work and the 3G capability is a near essential. Due to my work schedule and the demands on my time, I can’t monkey with creative (and time consuming) solutions.

I have a wireless switch installed in my office for a reason. I do need constant wireless access for my gear and as a I mentioned in the blog post, although the ISP doesn’t have service problems very often, when it happens it’s too often.

The ability to have a productivity tool such as the Apple iPad capable of switching over immediately to 3G when Wi-Fi is lost is a big plus and for my needs a definite benefit. I’m glad I purchased the 3G unit. I didn’t fully realize how important that capability would be until circumstances proved I needed it.

Wi-Fi is becoming more common, but it’s still not everywhere when I want it.

• Posted: 02 October 2010 06:14 AM #22

GPS isn’t very important if the WiFi only iPad is not being used while traveling.

• Posted: 02 October 2010 08:46 AM #23

FalKirk - 02 October 2010 09:14 AM

GPS isn’t very important if the WiFi only iPad is not being used while traveling.

The maps can be cached. It does work wink

Signature

• Posted: 02 October 2010 10:45 AM #24

rattyuk - 02 October 2010 11:46 AM

The maps can be cached. It does work wink

I originally bought the wifi (before the 3G was available), and am very happy to have switched to the 3G version as I’ve been getting great use of it. I post right now from a coffee shop where the free wifi is only available from a rival carrier. Several times a week I’m waiting for my kids at some practice or rehearsal of some type, and have really enjoyed the 3G connectivity as none of these locations have wifi.

Another factor to consider for some, is that (at least where i live), there is a great resale market for Apple products and I’ve found the “extras” really help at resale time. The extra $130 may seem steep, but if i get good use from it, and I command a premium at resale time, then it works for me. Reselling keeps my hunger for the latest version justified as a excusable luxury! I recently sold my wife’s 3G for $279cdn, while the upgrade price for the phone 4 is only $269. She will get my 3GS while I’ll get to enjoy the 4 for basically nothing (other than extending my obligation to my favorite carrier).

(this plan was great until I discovered how difficult it is to find an iPhone 4 in Canada! My wife gives me rather stern looks sometimes as she’s forced to use her work provided blackberry until I can get my hands on a 4. Hopefully the wait won’t be too much longer)

This also brings up the old conversation about tethering. Since the Playbook is offering tethering from the BB, why can’t Apple offer tethering from the iPhone? I would assume it is a carrier thing because it sounds like a great way to sell more iPhones (though less iPad 3G upgrades). The rumor sites have talked about seeing tethering options in new os releases.
    Could this restriction been related to the AT&T exclusive? Could it disappear when the exclusive disappears?

Do you think tethering is coming?

[ Edited: 02 October 2010 11:43 PM by cranium ]      
  • Posted: 02 October 2010 11:03 AM #25

cranium - 02 October 2010 01:45 PM

This also brings up the old conversation about tethering. Since the Playbook is offering tethering from the BB, why can’t Apple offer tethering from the iPhone? I would assume it is a carrier thing because it sounds like a great way to sell more iPhones (though less ipad 3G upgrades). The rumor sites have talked about seeing tethering options in new os releases.
    Could this restriction been related to the AT&T exclusive? Could it disappear when the exclusive disappears?

So you can get a Playbook today? Really? Sorry I am not shooting the messenger but the message.

The Blackberry Playbook was shown off, in a “courier” like fashion using computer graphics and sleight of hand to demonstrate what it might be capable of when it eventually appears. Even RIM refused to commit to a date. So “the PlayBook is offering tethering” is a form of FUD marketing where a piece of vaporware is imbued with a list of competing features with a shipping product to stop the product you can actually buy from being sold.

Meanwhile back to your actual point Cranium, yesterday there were some shots from a non-US iPad settings screen where tethering details were plainly visible. Again this is purely a US, ATT thing. It’s not like, as competing companies would like to imply, there is an inherent design flaw in any of the Apple mobile products but purely a limitation put in place by the carriers.

Signature

• Posted: 02 October 2010 11:53 AM #26

rattyuk - 02 October 2010 02:03 PM
    cranium - 02 October 2010 01:45 PM

This also brings up the old conversation about tethering. Since the Playbook is offering tethering from the BB, why can’t Apple offer tethering from the iPhone? I would assume it is a carrier thing because it sounds like a great way to sell more iPhones (though less ipad 3G upgrades). The rumor sites have talked about seeing tethering options in new os releases.

So you can get a Playbook today? Really? Sorry I am not shooting the messenger but the message.

The Blackberry Playbook was shown off, in a “courier” like fashion using computer graphics and sleight of hand to demonstrate what it might be capable of when it eventually appears. Even RIM refused to commit to a date. So “the PlayBook is offering tethering” is a form of FUD marketing where a piece of vaporware is imbued with a list of competing features with a shipping product to stop the product you can actually buy from being sold.

Meanwhile back to your actual point Cranium, yesterday there were some shots from a non-US iPad settings screen where tethering details were plainly visible. Again this is purely a US, ATT thing. It’s not like, as competing companies would like to imply, there is an inherent design flaw in any of the Apple mobile products but purely a limitation put in place by the carriers.

I completely agree—FUD marketing at its classic best (worst?).

It just seems funny that i can tether my laptop to my iPhone, but not my iPad (and we’ve had that for a long time in Canada). It seems to have a relevant spot here in the 3G vs wifi iPad discussion.

I live in the home town of RIM, so you can imagine what I have to deal with!

• Posted: 02 October 2010 12:29 PM #27

cranium - 02 October 2010 02:53 PM

I completely agree—FUD marketing at its classic best (worst?).

It just seems funny that i can tether my laptop to my iPhone, but not my iPad (and we’ve had that for a long time in Canada). It seems to have a relevant spot here in the 3G vs wifi iPad discussion.

I live in the home town of RIM, so you can imagine what I have to deal with!

Here’s an idea… As you live “so close” lets see how many days it takes for the Playbook to hit the market. We’ll start counting from today - October 2nd 2010…

Also it would be worth seeing that when it does hit the market… does it actually meet the specs that were announced the other day?

By “so close” I mean I will take “in the wild sightings” as per the Gizmodo iP4 leek - by you or your mates.

:D

BTW has anyone else noticed that every article on Gizmodo has the TV coverage of the iPhone 4 leak - how long are they going keep hawking this crap?

[ Edited: 02 October 2010 12:42 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

• Posted: 02 October 2010 05:58 PM #28

artman1033 - 02 October 2010 08:53 PM

Refurbished iPad
    ANYONE?

Not a bad deal for someone seeking to shave $50 off a purchase or cover 50% of the cost of AppleCare through the savings on a refurbished model.

• Posted: 02 October 2010 11:51 PM #29

Among it’s many uses, my iPad resides mounted on the dash of my service van where it serves as a GPS to guide me to customers’ homes. I have the grandfathered all-you-can eat data package, which is more than paid for by the savings we realized when trimming our family’s iPhone data plans down to the lowest setting from the original $30 per month.

It is a great comfort to know that I have web access EVERYTIME I power my iPad up. Five years from now, when wifi or it’s successors blanket our world, this will be a non-issue. But in my neck of the woods, 2010, it is a necessity. And worth every penny.

Signature

"You are coming to a sad realization. Cancel or allow?"

• Posted: 03 October 2010 12:40 AM #30

rattyuk - 02 October 2010 03:29 PM

Here’s an idea… As you live “so close” lets see how many days it takes for the Playbook to hit the market. We’ll start counting from today - October 2nd 2010…

Also it would be worth seeing that when it does hit the market… does it actually meet the specs that were announced the other day?

By “so close” I mean I will take “in the wild sightings” as per the Gizmodo iP4 leek - by you or your mates.

It will be interesting to see how long it actually takes. See the videos here http://crackberry.com/blackberry-playbook-announced See if you can watch the intro show without cringing. Always interesting to see how they really verbally target the perceived soft spots of the Apple product and try to differentiate themselves there. It’s what makes me think they really don’t get it. Reminds me of how the Storm was supposed to target weaknesses in the iPhone - nice try there neighbors. The 3rd video on that page, with the device only viewable in a glass case, certainly makes one wonder about the release date. The fact that they couldn’t make the holiday season and that it’s not yet ‘touchable’ would lead me to place a bet that it won’t be on shelves until March.

Will the specs match what we heard? I have no reason to doubt they won’t. What I do question is how great those specs will be when the product actually arrives—times will have changed significantly by then. We still haven’t heard anything on price or battery life. I think it’s basically a play to get x percent of Blackberry owners or Blackberry-centric CTOs to buy them. Outside of that group, it’s an iPad or Android tablet game.

I’ve made money betting on RIM during the rise(s), and lately I’ve made money betting against them on the fall. Right now, I can no longer bet against them as they are already so beaten down, but I also see no reason to bet on them either.