Does Adobe Need a Buyer?

Poll: If Adobe Were For Sale, Who Should Buy?
Total Votes: 24
Adobe shouldn’t be sold
Microsoft
Apple
Google
Another company

Posted: 08 October 2010 01:58 PM

In the wake of the rumors that Microsoft has been considering buying Adobe, I’m wondering who would be the best company to swing in and snatch them up.

Posted: 08 October 2010 02:14 PM #1

Definitely in the should not be sold camp.

I don’t think it would be good for a company that important to be controlled by MS or Apple or Google. They need to be able to chart their own course, no matter how annoying some may find that course to be.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

Posted: 08 October 2010 02:40 PM #2

I voted no, but I would like to see more competition for the Creative Suite apps.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 08 October 2010 03:18 PM #3

I certainly do not want Microsoft getting their mitts on Adobe. I make my living using the Creative Suite. I like Adobe, I like their software, but I could carry on for a very long time using CS5 and still make a good living.

On one hand, Apple buying Adobe might be a good thing. Apple likes to simplify and streamline and the Creative Suite apps are getting very complicated and bloated which is one of the reasons that sales have been down.

My first choice would be for Adobe to not sell out to anyone. I don’t want Microsoft or Google in the mix. If someone was to buy them, I’d prefer that it was Apple.

I don’t think that Flash is worth Adobe getting their panties in a bunch over. Technologies develop, mature, come and go. As it stands today, Flash is buggy Adobe… Deal with it. Your other apps rock though.

Adobe, don’t let Ballmer get his greasy sausage fingers on your stuff. Please?

• Posted: 08 October 2010 06:01 PM #4

Sir Harry Flashman - 08 October 2010 05:40 PM

I voted no, but I would like to see more competition for the Creative Suite apps.

I agree, and voted no as well. Competition with Cs would be nice (anyone out there? anyone?).

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 08 October 2010 06:41 PM #5

If anything, I’d rather see Adobe buy Microsoft than the other way around… but I still vote for everyone keeping to themselves.

One thing of note on the issue of competition is we often forget that the current version of the Creative Suite *does* have a rather large competitor. That competitor is CS4 (as well as ealier versions than that). And vice-versa. Adobe needs to innovate and set pricing in such a manner that we’ll pay the upgrade price. If we don’t keep buying their stuff, they will hafta turn off the lights and go home.

I would certainly welcome any 3rd-party competitors to Ps and others, but please don’t let it be Microsoft. They just plain flat-out don’t get design.

Posted: 08 October 2010 06:59 PM #6

FlipFriddle - 08 October 2010 09:01 PM
    Sir Harry Flashman - 08 October 2010 05:40 PM

I agree, and voted no as well. Competition with Cs would be nice (anyone out there? anyone?).

As I mentioned on several occasions I have used Pages to layout some jobs. Of course I delivered a PDF to the printer, but I do that when I am using InDesign for layout. Anyway, I feel that if Apple put a little more into it then it could be a serious challenger to InDesign.

I haven’t tried it yet, but from what I read LineForm is a pretty decent vector program. Like Pages it is not as full featured as Adobe’s Illustrator, but it is a start.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster