Do the New Windows 7 Phones Get Microsoft Back into the Game?

Poll: Do the new Windows Phone 7 handsets get Microsoft back into the mobile game?
Total Votes: 29
Windows Phone 7 will be great for Microsoft
The product lineup is too confusing
Nice try, but Windows Phone 7 seems about 2 years behind
Windows Phone 7 will succeed simply because Microsoft is so big
Windows Phone 7 will make the iPhone a has-been

Posted: 12 October 2010 11:30 AM

Microsoft announced a bag full of Windows Phone 7 handsets on Monday. Do these new phones get Microsoft back into the mobile game, or is it too late for Big Redmond?

Posted: 12 October 2010 11:37 AM #1

I would say that it is too early to tell, even if they are late getting into the game.

Signature

“Works of art, in my opinion, are the only objects in the material universe to possess internal order, and that is why, though I don’t believe that only art matters, I do believe in Art for Art’s sake.” E. M. Forster

• Posted: 12 October 2010 11:50 AM #2

Not an easy question. The early adopter and current user markets are largely taken at this point, which makes MS late to the game. Some MS loyalists may switch; some who use what their company issues to them may adopt; but these are not going to be big numbers on either count. Corporate users not using the iPhone or Android platforms are primarily RIM clients. MS will have to make a compelling case for any of the above-mentioned people to switch to their platform. In other words, not only is it going to have to offer them something that they are not getting from their current choice, but it must offer them something that they really, really want or need. Simply being Big Redmond will not be enough at this point. So much for the early adopter and current user markets.

They may be able to make inroads among the currently non-committed, but only if they can provide a superior consumer experience relative to the competition. Among XBox users, this may be the case. The Zune market is a non-factor.

If I were their marketing Tsar, I would target: 1) the young, 2) corporate clients. RIM would be in my cross-hairs, not the iPhone, not Android.

[ Edited: 12 October 2010 12:09 PM by wab95 ]

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 12 October 2010 12:36 PM #3

Wall Street didn’t seem to think so. The stock dropped $.10 after the announcements in a gigantic yawn.

• Posted: 12 October 2010 01:51 PM #4

The BBC is characteristically bullish on MS’s latest offerings, citing Stephen Fry’s endorsement as a ‘well-known Apple fan and smartphone buff’. Seems to represent mainstream media reaction.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11515879

It may be premature to read too much into immediate stock effects, but the market will definitely speak.

One has to acknowledge MS’s attempts to integrate the mobile platform with their other services into a ecosystem of sorts, but achieving coherence, let alone making a compelling case, remains to be seen.

Signature

wab95

Posted: 12 October 2010 03:00 PM #5

If it’s a half-way decent product, then people will use it.  There are certainly people who like MS in general and some who have used and liked Windows Mobile phones.  So they will have a following.  It isn’t going to steal the market or public mind, but it will do alright for MS as long as it delivers what they say.

• Posted: 12 October 2010 04:22 PM #6

Having watched some of the Ballmer et al news conference, MS might, just might be able to hold on to low and middle income country market share with the new device, and perhaps even claw back some of their losses to RIM.

These tend to be ‘one-solution’ environments, where Windows is the only computer and Nokia the only mobile phone. Smart phone in southern Asia used to mean Windows Mobile, with Blackberry as a relative new comer.

Signature

wab95

• Posted: 12 October 2010 05:42 PM #7

I can’t look at WP7 without thinking the 7 stands for 2007.

I think WP7 will own the market completely… provided Steve Balmer gets a time machine so he can introduce it in 2007 wink

• Posted: 12 October 2010 08:29 PM #8

I think Windows Phone 7 will hurt Android the most. As a current Android user (I hate AT&T too much…even for an iPhone), I can’t stand how fragmented everything is, especially the increasing level of bloatware that Google allows the carriers to install. Microsoft seems to be taking a page out of Apple’s book and laying some ground rules that the carriers have to live by.

Since Google doesn’t seemed inclined to do the same, I think it will suffer the most. The iPhone and Windows 7 represent the type of phone that consumers want…simple yet powerful and, above all, easy to use without any crap on it that you don’t want.

Posted: 13 October 2010 12:07 AM #9

Tiger - 12 October 2010 03:36 PM

Wall Street didn’t seem to think so. The stock dropped $.10 after the announcements in a gigantic yawn.

To be honest, I think Microsoft would have to invent faster than light travel before the market (and people in general) would react positively.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 02 August 2011 12:18 AM #10

Do the new Windows Phone 7 handsets get Microsoft back into the mobile game? Apparently not.

Canalys is reporting that Microsoft only sold 1.5 million Windows Phone 7 devices during Q2 2011. That compares to 20.3 million iPhones and a whopping 51.9 million Android devices. Ouch.

I’ve been predicting that Windows Phone 7 was Microsoft’s next Zune. I may have been a bit too optimistic.

• Posted: 02 August 2011 11:04 AM #11

jennis - 02 August 2011 07:40 AM

Maybe it is too early to
    say this.

Maybe. All the patent troubles that Android is struggling with make me wonder if Windows Phone 7 may win by default rather than on the merits.

And maybe it’s too early to say that Windows Phone 7 won’t rise one day. In the future. In a distant, unforeseeable future.

But it’s not too early to say that Windows Phone 7 has been a terrible disappointment for Microsoft. Think about it. A brand new phone operating system that they believe is better than anything else on the market. Tons and tons money spent in advertising. From a company that has long standing relationships with both the phone manufacturers and the phone carriers. A company that was one of the premier smart phone makers over the past decade. And they sell 1.5 million units in a quarter when Apple sold over 20 million units and Android is estimated to have sold close some 46 million units. How are they hoping to get traction with those kind of numbers?
    The truth is that Microsoft has an inflated view of its own popularity. Few are looking to buy a “Windows” phone. The “Windows” brand is not nearly as beloved as Microsoft thinks it is and people most certainly don’t want to put “Windows” on their phone. Now Windows Phone 7 is a completely different operating system than the Windows Mobile OS that came before it and it has absolutely nothing to do with “Windows”. But when you brand your phone as “Windows Phone 7”, how are people supposed to know that?

Microsoft came into the MP3 market with the Zune and most everyone said that it was all over for the iPod. The first iteration of the Zune, would build a beachhead, the second iteration would make the Zune dominant and the third iteration would all but destroy the remaining competition. Didn’t happen. And now Microsoft has quietly discontinued the Zune. All the while I people say “Maybe it is too soon to say it’s over.”

So when do we get to call Windows Phone 7 a failure? Do we have to wait until Microsoft pulls the plug or can we agree on some other objective criteria? Windows Phone 7 has less than 1% of the smartphone market share. it’s been estimated that Microsoft has made less than 500 million from their phone sales. If Windows Phone 7 is going to succeed, it is going to have to grow its market share percentage someday soon, right? Should we at least expect them to have a modest 5% market share by the end of 2012? I’m betting against even that.

It may be too soon to say that Windows Phone 7 is dead. But it’s not too soon to say that they showed up late for the race and are falling farther and farther behind every quarter.

[ Edited: 04 August 2011 01:47 AM by Intruder ]      

Posted: 04 August 2011 01:48 AM #12

Last post edited to remove spammer link in quoted text. Spammer account deleted.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

• Posted: 05 August 2011 07:18 AM #13

I think Windows Phone 7 will hurt Android the most. As a current Android user (I hate AT&T too much?even for an iPhone), I can?t stand how fragmented everything is, especially the increasing level of bloatware that Google allows the carriers to install. Microsoft seems to be taking a page out of Apple?s book and laying some ground rules that the carriers have to live by.

Posted: 12 November 2011 02:02 PM #14

It is now November 2011 and very clear that the windows 7 phone has not had the effect Microsoft had hoped for. Android and Apple OS are to easy to use and work great. They will not get back in the game.

• Posted: 12 November 2011 04:04 PM #15

condooms - 12 November 2011 06:02 PM

It is now November 2011 and very clear that the windows 7 phone has not had the effect Microsoft had hoped for. Android and Apple OS are to easy to use and work great. They will not get back in the game.

Every objective review I’ve read indicates that Windows Phone 7 is a fine and unique operating system. However, Windows Phone 7 has gotten zero traction.

While I predicted that the Windows Phone 7 would have trouble, I’m amazed that traction is the problem. We’re talking about MICROSOFT. They have deep pockets and they’ve had years and years of relationships with the carriers.

Just to put the icing on the cake, Verizon is refusing to carry any Window Phone 7 Phones (there’s that stupid name again). No one fears Microsoft any more.