Predictions for the Oct 20 Event

Posted: 14 October 2010 11:40 AM

As the other news article
    http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/apple_hosting_back_to_the_mac_event_oct_20/
    descended into a series of cat jokes (and I was as guilty as anyone else) I decided to start this discussion.

What do you think Apple will announce on the 20th? Remember it’s called “Back to the Mac” so I suspect it will be Mac centred.

My guess
    Sneak Peak at 10.7
        Will be called Lion
        Will include FaceTime
        May include iOS layer so you can purchase and run IOS apps on your Mac
        Might include a different drive format to improve efficiency (I forget what it’s called right now but it’s better than HFS+)
    iLife11 released for both Mac and iOS
    MacBookAir updated with touch screen

What do you think Apple will announce on the 20th?

[ Edited: 14 October 2010 11:50 AM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 14 October 2010 12:54 PM #1

Number one is FaceTime for iChat.

Desktop to mobile device is key, as is the ability to block it for corporations, governments, and anybody with security concerns.

• Posted: 14 October 2010 01:48 PM #2

I’m thinking of a thing that serves up all of your iLife content from various Macs to your iPad without having to copy stuff to the iPad first. Maybe that’s an OS update or iLife update, but I think this concept is a glaring omission from the iPad/Mac connection.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

• Posted: 14 October 2010 01:48 PM #3

I’ve been waiting to upgrade until USB3 is included. C’mon Steve, I’ve waited too long!

• Posted: 14 October 2010 02:29 PM #4

My addition guess/hopes:

* Some/all of the new iTunes 10 look will appear for UI theming
    * I suspect iAds support will be added.  If a big deal is made or not is a different story.
    * Announcement of Light Peak support (with roll out of the hardware in 2012)
    * Announcement that Carbon API is now an add-on (much like what they did to Rosetta with an install trigger).
    * A new/updated file system, but for MacOS X (non-server) I don’t expect to see ZFS.  If it is ZFS it will be a smaller footprint version (i.e. Not all the features).
    * Expansion of Core Video/Images library to provide more (near) real-time transformation (assuming newer nvidia cards).
    * I suspect with all the AppleTV, iPhone, and iPad work there will be kernel and system level changes in an attempt to reduce the footprint.
    * Finishing the Quicktime X migration and the clean up/removal of the old QT/QTP.
    * Greater HTML5 usage in iWeb
    * Full touchscreen support to allow for a touch screen based iMac in the future
    * iChat upgrade for Facetime
    * Improved OpenGL (drivers + general OpenGL library optimization)
    * iChat support of Microsoft Live Meeting (a sad omission with all the Exchange support recently added to Mail.app)
    * Some better integration of iPads with the Mac (secondary monitor, file sharing, etc)

Whatever it is.. Other than better OpenGL/Gaming support and MS Live Meeting support I can’t think of anything I personally am missing off my Mac that I don’t already have 3rd party software for (e.g. 1Passwd, Dropbox, etc).

• Posted: 14 October 2010 02:35 PM #5

I would like to see a virtual iOS machine that would be similar to parallels and windows. Switch back and forth to full screen, drag and drop.That could work real well with the magic trackpad, ya think?

Posted: 14 October 2010 02:55 PM #6

My guess… Special appearance by one of the rescued Chilean miners, but not the soccer fan nor the guy balancing a wife and a mistress.

http://gizmodo.com/5663956/steve-jobs-sends-chilean-miners-new-ipods

Posted: 14 October 2010 03:32 PM #7

FlipFriddle - 14 October 2010 04:48 PM

I’m thinking of a thing that serves up all of your iLife content from various Macs to your iPad without having to copy stuff to the iPad first. Maybe that’s an OS update or iLife update, but I think this concept is a glaring omission from the iPad/Mac connection.

The term “Back to My Mac” is used to remote connect to your desktop, so I’m thinking that in addition to showing some 10.7 preview they’ll have to show a feature that somehow connects to content on the desktop Mac.  So FlipFriddle’s idea sounds reasonable.  Of course, it could just mean back to talking about Mac after talking about iOS for so long.

Posted: 14 October 2010 03:32 PM #8

@geoduck I believe the file system you mean is ZFS.

Posted: 14 October 2010 04:24 PM #9

webjprgm - 14 October 2010 06:32 PM

@geoduck I believe the file system you mean is ZFS.

Yes thank you. I I’ve been wracking my brains trying to remember what that was called.

Thanks too to mouring who mentioned that as well.

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery