The September Quarter Outcome: Apple Prepares For Battle

• Posted: 11 November 2010 01:42 PM #121

adamthompson3232 - 09 November 2010 04:37 PM

Maybe not exactly on topic, but it looks like Mr. Softie may not be ready for the battle Apple has brought to it. 40K on day one is laughable!!!

Absent the ability to leverage the dwindling significance of the Windows monopoly the new phones are nothing more than also-rans in the race.

• Posted: 15 November 2010 11:26 AM #122

The Android market may very well build the iPhone market as an outcome. Two years is along time to spend with a phone with limited (or no) upgrade capabilities, lack of iTunes compatibility and without the same level of app availability.

Posted: 15 November 2010 11:35 AM #123

DawnTreader - 15 November 2010 03:26 PM

The Android market may very well build the iPhone market as an outcome. Two years is along time to spend with a phone with limited (or no) upgrade capabilities, lack of iTunes compatibility and without the same level of app availability.

It is amazing what Android people live with.  My brother has one because he could not wait for iPhone on Verizon any longer.

It crashes and freezes all the time.  His apps are not as detailed in features as the iPHone.  Facebook looks the same but it is note.

He has no idea when things are updated, his battery drains quickly, and the UI is rough.  So I think there will be millions that will dump the Droid phones for an iPhone when it is available for Verizon and they can upgrade.  I think the big iPhone sale jump will happen in about 2013.

• Posted: 15 November 2010 11:57 AM #124

adamthompson3232 - 15 November 2010 03:07 PM

Posted on November 14th, 2010 by Davey Winder
    Poll suggests third of Android owners really want an iPhone

Nice poll Adam. Thank you for linking to it.

adamthompson3232 - 15 November 2010 03:07 PM

Of course, this Android commoditisation of the smartphone market is a double-edged sword: it builds market share but with a myriad custom front ends it does nothing to build consumer awareness or, importantly, brand loyalty or desirability.

I’ve been thinking along these lines for a long time. I’m not sure that most consumers actually know that they are buying an Android phone. They’re buying a Droid or they’re buying a Samsung Galaxy S or they’re buying an Evo, but they don’t even know it’s an Android phone. The iPhone on the other hand is heavily branded and carries tremendous user loyalty.

• Posted: 15 November 2010 03:35 PM #125

Similar to the Windows netbook, the Android smartphone might become nothing more than a stopgap product until the iPhone achieves wider domestic distribution.

The smartphone market was not Google’s most valued target. It’s the netbook and notebook market with Chrome. We’ll see how things develop.