App store for the Mac?

Posted: 20 October 2010 03:35 PM #16

balesfam - 20 October 2010 12:38 AM

When will SJ announce an app store for the Mac. Maybe tomorrow

I told SJ to do so or I’ll sell out of AAPL.  He listens :apple:.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 20 October 2010 03:42 PM #17

The big question, how about all the existing apps, will some be portable to the Mac.

Posted: 20 October 2010 03:54 PM #18

balesfam - 20 October 2010 06:42 PM

The big question, how about all the existing apps, will some be portable to the Mac.

I would hope so.  The App Store I think is a big deal for those that are new to computing and the Mac. They will quickly realize that they can buy everything they need without leaving the house.

All the major developers will need to start looking differently at their products.  MS and Adobe better be sending teams to Cupertino to improve their products and make them avaliable for the App Store.

This too me is as big as the iTunes store.  We will look back in 7 years and see what it did to software on the Mac the same way the iTunes changed everything and lead to the Apps for the iPhone and iPad.

• Posted: 20 October 2010 04:09 PM #19

Well, I couldn’t have been more wrong on that one. Heh.

• Posted: 20 October 2010 04:59 PM #20

Apple just slammed the door shut on their competitors.  Think about it: apps for your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, TV, and now your home computer. 

This is a huge selling point.  Especially if a lot of these apps work on multi-platforms.  Why would you ever buy anything but an Apple when you would be losing all your apps with another product?

People crave familiarity and ease of use.

• Posted: 20 October 2010 05:25 PM #21

omacvi - 20 October 2010 06:54 PM

This (to) me is as big as the iTunes store.  We will look back in 7 years and see what it did to software on the Mac the same way the iTunes changed everything and lead to the Apps for the iPhone and iPad.

The fact that Apple introduced the Mac store today AND accelerated it’s appearance to January means that they too think this is very, very big.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:02 AM #22

gvsmitty19 - 20 October 2010 07:59 PM

Apple just slammed the door shut on their competitors.  Think about it: apps for your iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, TV, and now your home computer. 

This is a huge selling point.  Especially if a lot of these apps work on multi-platforms.  Why would you ever buy anything but an Apple when you would be losing all your apps with another product?

People crave familiarity and ease of use.

Bingo! Once again the street doesn’t get it. But we do… ka-ching!

Signature

Inflation robs from the past, deflation robs from the future. Pick your poison.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:05 AM #23

omacvi - 20 October 2010 06:54 PM

This (to) me is as big as the iTunes store.  We will look back in 7 years and see what it did to software on the Mac the same way the iTunes changed everything and lead to the Apps for the iPhone and iPad.

Seven years? I have no concept of time but, my guess… Two years!

Signature

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:07 AM #24

DawnTreader - 20 October 2010 03:40 AM

While the idea might be alluring, we are looking at vastly different scales in terms of download size and installation. Of course it would work for simple applications and utilities (for which developers and/or distributors already offer download versions), it would be challenging for Apple to insist on exclusive distribution for high priced, pro level software and I don’t see downloading as practical (for new).

I think we’re more apt to see cloud-based solutions emerge than we are to see a mass move of pro-level software products to an iTunes-style sales scenario.

DT… What’s your opinion now?

Signature

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:19 AM #25

Personally I’m excited about the idea of an App Store for Mac OS X. Being a techie it’s not difficult to keep my software up-to-date… But for the sake of convenience it’s appealing to have one update mechanism to handle all my software. Even more so for quickly and easily making sure my users/customers have all the latest stuff without hunting down a buch of separate updates.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:23 AM #26

jeffi - 21 October 2010 04:07 AM
    DawnTreader - 20 October 2010 03:40 AM

While the idea might be alluring, we are looking at vastly different scales in terms of download size and installation. Of course it would work for simple applications and utilities (for which developers and/or distributors already offer download versions), it would be challenging for Apple to insist on exclusive distribution for high priced, pro level software and I don’t see downloading as practical (for new).

I think we’re more apt to see cloud-based solutions emerge than we are to see a mass move of pro-level software products to an iTunes-style sales scenario.

DT… What’s your opinion now?

The same as yesterday.  grin

This is a nice feature for most Mac apps. I’ll wait to see how the pro-level apps fit into the picture.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:32 AM #27

I will be blogging about the incentives and motivation for this move this weekend. It ties into a change in Apple’s planned revenue model for the next several years.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 02:56 AM #28

adamthompson3232 - 21 October 2010 05:08 AM

Some early feedback from developers.

http://www.cultofmac.com/mac-app-store-what-do-developers-think/64859

Brent Simmons, creator of NetNewsWire:

“Will we also be able to sell our apps outside the App Store, at the same time?”

I know I heard Steve say that it won’t be the only place to buy Apps…,but it will be the best place.  I took that to mean that they weren’t requiring exclusivity.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:33 AM #29

The Mac App Store was only a matter of time since the wild success of the App Store paved the way.

Net positive, without a doubt.  It will be a revelation to the new to Mac types.  For the existing Mac users, and us longtime users especially, I wonder how the transition will go.  Since the Mac App Store is likely to aid overall system security (in theory), that also means that apps like MenuMeters, Flash, etc. will need to be installed the normal way for some time to come. 

But wow, is the future approaching us rapidly.  It’s a bold vision as far as the PC world goes and it should pay dividends for years to come.  Looking forward to seeing more of Lion - I don’t have a good sense of its coherence, the bridge between it and Snow Leopard yet.

Signature

The Summer of AAPL is here.  Enjoy it (responsibly) while it lasts.
    AFB Night Owl Teamâ„¢
    Thanks, Steve.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 03:37 AM #30

As a small developer, app store for Mac is a great idea. It vastly reduces the risks and costs of going to market with your product.

I have personally lost hundreds of thousands of dollars without anything to show for it in an unsuccessful attempt to market my software in the US. This is now a thing of the past, and good riddance.

Previously, to sell software you had to first get the idea, then make it, and THEN essentially build your own store and distribution channel. The first part can be done in your spare time, and is thus “free”. The latter can not, and is very much not free. This is why a lot of software is bland or bad, especially in education (not much competition, and the best distribution network wins).

This will be bad for the mid-sized guys, good for the small guys, not a big deal for the major league. For the users, it will be great! A better selection of software that’s easier to get to, at a far lower price.

EDIT:
    I essentially agree strongly with Loren Brichter of Atebits http://www.cultofmac.com/mac-app-store-what-do-developers-think/64859

[ Edited: 21 October 2010 03:42 AM by dduck ]