App store for the Mac?

• Posted: 21 October 2010 11:18 AM #31

dduck - 21 October 2010 06:37 AM

As a small developer, app store for Mac is a great idea. It vastly reduces the risks and costs of going to market with your product.

I have personally lost hundreds of thousands of dollars without anything to show for it in an unsuccessful attempt to market my software in the US. This is now a thing of the past, and good riddance.

Previously, to sell software you had to first get the idea, then make it, and THEN essentially build your own store and distribution channel. The first part can be done in your spare time, and is thus “free”. The latter can not, and is very much not free. This is why a lot of software is bland or bad, especially in education (not much competition, and the best distribution network wins).

This will be bad for the mid-sized guys, good for the small guys, not a big deal for the major league. For the users, it will be great! A better selection of software that’s easier to get to, at a far lower price.

Thank you for the insights. I spent a number of years as an executive in the entertainment industry (with a heavy focus on music) so I understand the complexities of distribution and the financial risks inherent in 3rd party distribution. The developers of smaller apps and utilities I know will greet this news as a welcome change in the economics of the industry and it’s a natural extension of Apple’s market model.

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:26 AM #32

The big difference between the AppStore and the MacAppStore is quality (for want of a better word).
    One note wonders, novelty doodads, fart apps, and such are fine for a phone but on a full computer I suspect these won’t do nearly as well. If I’m going to put something on my MacBook I want my money’s worth.

The biggest benefit, as someone above mentioned, is that small developers have a pre-built market for their stuff.

[ Edited: 21 October 2010 11:39 AM by geoduck ]

Signature

Take Only Pictures, Leave Only Footprints
    Is No Way To Run An Art Gallery

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:03 PM #33

dduck - 21 October 2010 06:37 AM

This will be bad for the mid-sized guys, good for the small guys, not a big deal for the major league. For the users, it will be great! A better selection of software that’s easier to get to, at a far lower price.

That sounds about right to me.

geoduck - 21 October 2010 02:26 PM

The big difference between the AppStore and the MacAppStore is quality (for want of a better word). One note wonders, novelty doodads, fart apps, and such are fine for a phone but on a full computer I suspect these won’t do nearly as well. If I’m going to put something on my MacBook I want my money’s worth.

I’m not sure this is true. I’m not economist, but what I think we’re dealing with here is marginal utility. The reason we don’t have frivolous applications on our Macs is not because our Macs are serious work machines, but because applications are too expensive and we can’t afford to waste our money on the non-essential. If the price of a fart application comes down far enough, people will suddenly find that they want to have it on their Macs.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:13 PM #34

‘I?m not sure this is true. I?m not economist, but what I think we?re dealing with here is marginal utility. The reason we don?t have frivolous applications on our Macs is not because our Macs are serious work machines, but because applications are too expensive and we can?t afford to waste our money on the non-essential. If the price of a fart application comes down far enough, people will suddenly find that they want to have it on their Macs’.

This could potentially happen, though I don’t think people use their computers like this.  For instance, how many websites are there where you can go on and click a button to make a fart sound for instance?  The reason apps have done so well on mobiles is that using the full internet is very difficult, due primarily to download speeds etc.  So apps have proliferated.  However, when you can get so much through a browser, cheap freebie throw away apps become less important.  It therefore feels that the sorts of apps people want to download on their Mac’s will be things that don’t operate functionally through the web; e.g. complex programs.  This is pretty closely aligned to what people who buy software now for their Mac’s do…

However, I could, and most likely am, be completely wrong!

• Posted: 21 October 2010 01:16 PM #35

On the iPhone/iPad you can only obtain apps from the app store unless you’re willing to jail break it.
    On the Mac you’ll be able to obtain software from various sources including the App Store.

That’s the biggest difference to me and I hope that never changes.

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

Posted: 21 October 2010 01:24 PM #36

BillH - 21 October 2010 04:16 PM

On the iPhone/iPad you can only obtain apps from the app store unless you’re willing to jail break it.
    On the Mac you’ll be able to obtain software from various sources including the App Store.

That’s the biggest difference to me and I hope that never changes.

True, however the developer who puts his App on the Mac App Store will have a huge advantage over the traditional method of simply selling online or brick and mortar stores.

This in my view is a cash cow for Apple.  They take 30% of sales that at one time went to other venues.  This is a huge win for consumers since developers will compete on an even playing field and we will get amazing Apps for a fraction of the cost.  The good Apps will make money and the Chinese Black Market for pirated software will feel the pain.

In 3 years people will wonder what just happened, the same way only the big boys had blackberries and now every housewife is buying software on her iPhone and the 4th grader is asking for permission to buy programs on the iPad.  We are living in amazing times.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 02:49 PM #37

omacvi - 21 October 2010 04:24 PM

This in my view is a cash cow for Apple.  They take 30% of sales that at one time went to other venues.

Not sure I agree with this. Yes, Apple will make money, but there are significant costs associated with the administrative tasks that they will be providing to developers.

More important, this is not Apple’s purpose. The Mac Store, like iTunes and the App store before it, is there to get us to get us to buy Apple hardware. The Mac store is yet another feature than simultaneously makes our (developers and consumers) lives easier while binding us to the Apple ecosystem.

omacvi - 21 October 2010 04:24 PM

This is a huge win for consumers since developers will compete on an even playing field and we will get amazing Apps for a fraction of the cost.  The good Apps will make money and the Chinese Black Market for pirated software will feel the pain.

In 3 years people will wonder what just happened, the same way only the big boys had blackberries and now every housewife is buying software on her iPhone and the 4th grader is asking for permission to buy programs on the iPad.  We are living in amazing times.

Emphatically agree with this.

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:26 PM #38

Do SJ feel for creative small guys and dislike big boys?  Apple products and services seem to level the playing ground for the small guys vs big boys, so the only thing matter is who has the better idea.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:30 PM #39

Fits in with the IDIC

• Posted: 21 October 2010 03:40 PM #40

Mace - 21 October 2010 06:26 PM

Do SJ feel for creative small guys and dislike big boys?  Apple products and services seem to level the playing ground for the small guys vs big boys, so the only thing matter is who has the better idea.

Maybe. To me he’s just trying to reduce the friction between where you are and where you want to go. The App store, and now the Mac store, standardizes so much of the purchasing process that the developers can just focus on developing and the consumer can just focus on purchasing. Apple does all the other work so we don’t have to.

Posted: 21 October 2010 03:44 PM #41

I postulate the right app model is one that allow plugins, mods and virtual goods to be sold by small guys.  Who is writing such apps please tell me grin I want to invest in them tongue laugh.  Do Apple payment system enables the app engine developer to share revenue from those plugin/mod/virtual good developers?

Signature

• Posted: 21 October 2010 04:01 PM #42

This store seems like a great idea for all of the donation-ware and freebie stuff out there (Carbon-Copy Cloner for example). Instead of waiting for people to date, you just charge a $1. We see how successful that is for impulse buys on the i/Phone/Pad/Touch. Could be an easy way to deliver games and give all of those developers a way to translate iOS apps to the desktop. I’m not sure this is for large software packages like CS, AutoCad, MS Office (yeah right), etc.

Signature

Less is More (more or less).

Posted: 21 October 2010 04:29 PM #43

Another thought is that it might decrease piracy utilizing similar mechanisms that are used for iOS devices. Allow the user to ‘install’ the software on up to 3 computers and call it good.

Signature

“Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security! The solution for America’s problem is not in terms of big government, but it is in big men over whom nobody stands in control but God.”  ?Norman Vincent Peale

Posted: 21 October 2010 04:35 PM #44

FlipFriddle - 21 October 2010 07:01 PM

... I’m not sure this is for large software packages like CS, AutoCad, MS Office (yeah right), etc.

If they can unshrink-wrap these apps into a core + modules that can be bought separately or may be rent, it would be profitable.

Signature

• Posted: 21 October 2010 04:53 PM #45

Mace - 21 October 2010 07:35 PM
    FlipFriddle - 21 October 2010 07:01 PM

... I’m not sure this is for large software packages like CS, AutoCad, MS Office (yeah right), etc.

If they can unshrink-wrap these apps into a core + modules that can be bought separately or may be rent, it would be profitable.

I agree. All the Mac store does is remove barriers. It should be profitable for everyone. The only reason I think it will help the small developers more than the mid and larger developers is because the barriers are relatively higher for them and the mid and large developers have already expended resources to remove many of the barriers so they won’t benefit as much.

Still, as I said before, anything that makes it easier to make a purchase makes it better for both the seller and the buyer.