President Obama and Apple CEO Steve Jobs

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:10 PM

President Obama and Steve Jobs are meeting today (see http://www.macrumors.com/).  What do you think they should discuss?

[Title edited by DT to clarify topic]

[ Edited: 21 October 2010 11:37 PM by DawnTreader ]      

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:26 PM #1

firestorm - 21 October 2010 11:10 PM

President Obama and Steve Jobs are meeting today (see http://www.macrumors.com/).  What do you think they should discuss?

Getting ALGORE to rejoin the Oh’Baamah administration, and thus resign from the Apple board of directors.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 21 October 2010 08:59 PM #2

To avoid politics here…

How about opening up the gov’t and DoD to Apple products rather than sticking with Windows?

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:07 PM #3

Intruder - 21 October 2010 11:59 PM

To avoid politics here…

How about opening up the gov’t and DoD to Apple products rather than sticking with Windows?

As I recall, government purchases of Macs have expanded rapidly in the last quarter.

What I would like to see is an agreement to bring most Apple manufacturing back to the USA. I am concerned that when Apple is creating some of the most innovative intellectual property ever, they are simply handing it to the Chinese to steal.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 09:22 PM #4

firestorm - 22 October 2010 12:07 AM

To avoid politics here…

As I recall, government purchases of Macs have expanded rapidly in the last quarter.

What I would like to see is an agreement to bring most Apple manufacturing back to the USA. I am concerned that when Apple is creating some of the most innovative intellectual property ever, they are simply handing it to the Chinese to steal.

Never mind

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:25 PM #5

To avoid politics here…

I sort of agree with this post. The President should ask Jobs “What would it take for you to manufacture Macs and other quality electronics in the US?”.

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:35 PM #6

awcabot - 22 October 2010 12:25 AM

To avoid politics here…

I sort of agree with this post. The President should ask Jobs “What would it take for you to manufacture Macs and other quality electronics in the US?”.

The new program could be called “Jobs for Jobs!”

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:35 PM #7

Either this is a shake-down for money or Obamas hoping for a position on the board of directors in two years. Obama could sit next to Al, and they could be referred to as loser #1 and loser #2.

:apple:

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:48 PM #8

MacCube - 22 October 2010 12:35 AM

Either this is a shake-down for money or Obamas hoping for a position on the board of directors in two years. Obama could sit next to Al, and they could be referred to as loser #1 and loser #2.

Would you hold stock in this company if there was such a board of directors?

Signature

Tightwad.

Posted: 21 October 2010 09:59 PM #9

awcabot - 22 October 2010 12:48 AM
    MacCube - 22 October 2010 12:35 AM

Would you hold stock in this company if there was such a board of directors?

If they started doing more than simply collecting a paycheck I wouldn’t. I’m not concerned about Jobs accepting an offer to meet with the president, after all, who in their right mind would say no to the most dangerous man in America. It’s Obama that you need to question why. Why does He want to meet with Jobs? Generally, a meeting with this president is the kiss-of-death.

• Posted: 21 October 2010 10:14 PM #10

MacCube - 22 October 2010 12:59 AM

I’m not concerned about Jobs accepting an offer to meet with the president, after all, who in their right mind would say no to the most dangerous man in America. It’s Obama that you need to question why. Why does He want to meet with Jobs? Generally, a meeting with this president is the kiss-of-death.

Wow, you have an incredibly irrational hatred for the President.

Posted: 21 October 2010 11:43 PM #11

LOL

MacCube and TanTan are just too funny.

I have said before.  That if Apple Stock split it would appreciate at least 100% and take the market with it.  That alone will help the economy. :-D

Actually I hope SJ tells him to extended all the tax cuts especially capital gains.  We may see a massive selloff in the market to avoid those taxes before the end of the year.  Also he needs to remind him that a lame duck congress doing stupid things before Jan, will hurt the democrats more the Obama.

Al Gore I think just gets a paycheck.  The board met 4 times in 2009.  I suspect they simply rubber stamp some corporate guidelines outlined in their regulations.  No board could possible make important decisions meeting only 4 times.  So if Obama wants to get the job I don’t have a problem with it.

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:00 AM #12

Johnsonwax - 22 October 2010 01:14 AM
    MacCube - 22 October 2010 12:59 AM

I’m not concerned about Jobs accepting an offer to meet with the president, after all, who in their right mind would say no to the most dangerous man in America. It’s Obama that you need to question why. Why does He want to meet with Jobs? Generally, a meeting with this president is the kiss-of-death.

Wow, you have an incredibly irrational hatred for the President.

Funny, Obama is meeting with THE greatest visionary of our time and one of the greatest businessmen alive and that’s considered a bad thing. This hatred started before he even took office and that can only mean one thing.

People ripping on Al Gore, that just kills me. NO ONE here knows what goes on in Apple’s board meetings. No one. To imply that somehow Al does any less that other BOD members is just stupid. There is absolutely no evidence to to support that. Who do you think has the most say as to who’s on that board? They’re all valued for a reason. They all give input somehow to Apple and SJ. I would think that to have someone that understands D.C. better than most would be extremely important.

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:02 AM #13

Since the corporate tax rate in the US is 35%, I would imagine that Obama wants the rest of his taxes.

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

• Posted: 22 October 2010 12:24 AM #14

It’s pathetic that we can’t have a reasonable discussion of the question at hand without injecting mindless hatred and wild paranoid speculation.  The old saying that “Those who can, do, and those who can’t, teach” needs to be modified to “Those who understand, contribute, and those who don’t get it sit on the sidelines and snipe.”  Every day I hear the mantra about tax cuts creating jobs.  OK, over the last 50 years corporate tax revenues and top tier individual tax rates have dropped to 1/3 what they were.  So where are the steel mill, auto manufacturing, and electronics industry jobs we used to have?

What Jobs should talk to Obama about is Windows lack of security and the government’s vulnerability because of it, and internet neutrality.  What Obama should ask Jobs about is leadership style and skills.

Posted: 22 October 2010 12:30 AM #15

Zeke - 22 October 2010 03:24 AM

What Obama should ask Jobs about is leadership style and skills.

I can’t help myself with this little gem. The president of the United States is suppose to ask for advice on leadership skills.  rolleyes

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.