Facetime Growth Accelerator

• Posted: 22 October 2010 03:30 AM

Spent yesterday all evening upgrading family Mac’s to Snow Leopard and installing Facetime as everybody wanted it - works great!
    Now in the last weeks i have been watching building peer pressure as people with iphone 4’s are asking their peers “tried to call you with Facetime - don’t you have the new iphone yet?” Now add to that Facetime for Mac and this will build even more : expect a major part of all existing iphone owners or owners of these other phones to convert to iphone 4 - this will be astronomical even compared to what we have watched before.
    Beautiful marketing by Apple as always : outfit all of these Mac’s with cameras which really are not very useful - release Facetime with iphone 4 but not for Mac - wait till everybody wants it and then release to your huge installed base - now everyone will want to upgrade whatever device they have.
    And then there is the ipad - why no camera? I think because :
    1) This is a new category so unsure of demand they focussed on an unbeatable price
    2) If the ipad had a camera it would be the device of choice versus anything else
    3) Marketing again : build up the demand , sell as much as you can , monitor demand and if necessary just release a 39,99$ camera kit - replace all of these later on with an upgraded version with camera (Steve :“we listened to our customers and here it is”)

• Posted: 23 October 2010 09:50 AM #1

FaceTime is fantastic. Still trying to get my head around it. Apple have something here and I can’t quite put my finger on it yet. Finally we have the videophone that we were promised in the 50s. once you have infected a computer with FaceTime then you can be called by anyone who has your FaceTime id which is either your appleid, any email address or your phone#. This works as a calling mechanism and it works fast.

Don’t underestimate the new iPod touch either. As a FaceTime device this is a very cheap way to keep in touch, almost worth buying an iPod Touch for this facility alone.

Apple have also implemented a URL protocol for it so you can add “facetime://appleid”, “facetime://email@address”, “facetime://phone#” to web pages and you have a link to your video conference. At the moment only Safari supports it but this will really be big going forward.

just my 2?...

Signature

• Posted: 23 October 2010 10:05 AM #2

I believe that we have eclipsed Capt. Kirk’s communicator. I don’t believe it had video. We, all of us,  are going where none have gone before.

Posted: 23 October 2010 10:53 AM #3

danthemason - 23 October 2010 01:05 PM

I believe that we have eclipsed Capt. Kirk’s communicator. I don’t believe it had video. We, all of us,  are going where none have gone before.

Signal strength was (will be ?) far less of an issue.  Currently, there is heavy reliance on phone towers or wifi hotspots.

Posted: 23 October 2010 10:59 AM #4

Nice to see that Metcalfe’s Law is alive and well.  Overnight with the release of the beta, Apple vastly increased the size and reach of the network.  The iPad will be next.

The greater number of users with the service, the more valuable the service becomes to the community. Deriving from Metcalfe’s Law, every new “friend” accepted or added on these social networking sites makes the user’s profile exponentially more valuable in terms of the law.

My only remaining question is more related to the end-game once the network is built out so to speak.  We are moving into the era where circuit switched data networks (HSPA,EVDO) are being replaced by packet-switched IP networks (LTE) what role will the NC data center play in the transition.  Will Apple become a mobile data retailer and buy data from the likes of ATT or Verizon, or build out a service like Light Squared .  I keep coming back to the old Apple MVNO patent.

• Posted: 23 October 2010 10:30 PM #5

rattyuk - 23 October 2010 12:50 PM

Don’t underestimate the new iPod touch either. As a FaceTime device this is a very cheap way to keep in touch, almost worth buying an iPod Touch for this facility alone.

I’m certainly not underestimating the iPod Touch. I think it may be in the vanguard. Once the tweens, who can’t afford an phone but can afford an iPod Touch, realize that they can have a video chat most anytime they want, well…

Posted: 25 October 2010 12:15 PM #6

Think about all those lovers temporarily separated. This is going to take phone sex to a whole new level. I suspect the term facetime will soon be replaced.

Posted: 25 October 2010 12:46 PM #7

macProf - 25 October 2010 03:15 PM

Think about all those lovers temporarily separated. This is going to take phone sex to a whole new level. I suspect the term facetime will soon be replaced.

I’ve been thinking the same thing.  Sexting among teens is going live.

• Posted: 24 February 2011 01:20 AM #8

pats - 23 October 2010 01:59 PM

Nice to see that Metcalfe’s Law is alive and well.  Overnight with the release of the beta, Apple vastly increased the size and reach of the network.  The iPad will be next.

The greater number of users with the service, the more valuable the service becomes to the community. Deriving from Metcalfe’s Law, every new “friend” accepted or added on these social networking sites makes the user’s profile exponentially more valuable in terms of the law.

My only remaining question is more related to the end-game once the network is built out so to speak.  We are moving into the era where circuit switched data networks (HSPA,EVDO) are being replaced by packet-switched IP networks (LTE) what role will the NC data center play in the transition.  Will Apple become a mobile data retailer and buy data from the likes of ATT or Verizon, or build out a service like Light Squared .  I keep coming back to the old Apple MVNO patent.

I’ve had this diagram stuck on the wall for a few months now.  I almost tossed it when the VZ phone was announced.  But really there is no reason that Apple could not offer services over LightSquared in addition to the conventional carrier model.  It looks to be U.S. only for now and it will be another couple of years before half the population is covered.  Still, it fascinates me.

Nokia looks serious about it.  $7B worth anyhow.

LightSquared disclosed that both the Nokia Siemens Networks and LightSquared boards of directors recently approved the 8-year, $7 billion agreement for Nokia Siemens Networks to deploy, install, operate and maintain the LightSquared nationwide network

Posted: 24 February 2011 02:18 AM #9

Captain Kirk’s communicator worked in caves. I can’t even get my iPhone to work at home.

Signature

Black Swan Counter: 9 (Banks need money, Jobs needs a break, Geithner has no plan, Cuomo’s grandstanding, .Gov needs a hobby, GS works for money, flash crash, is that bubbling crude?).

For those who look, a flash allows one to see farther.

• Posted: 24 February 2011 03:02 AM #10

Eric Landstrom - 24 February 2011 06:18 AM

Captain Kirk’s communicator worked in caves. I can’t even get my iPhone to work at home.

Eric,  you’re holding it wrong.

LOL

Posted: 24 February 2011 09:38 AM #11

Personally I think the whole facetime thing is a little overrated. Why? Well, we’ve had Macs for years now with iSight built-in and it’s been rarely used,  I’m betting that the average person has rarely used it as well. FT strips away that level of anonymity that a phone or IMing typical provides you. A user can talk to Uncle Larry and pick his/her teeth, yawn, watch TV more than listen, doesn’t have to worry about how they look and a host of other things. Just sayin’...

I hope I’m wrong. Maybe with the youngsters out there, they’ll want to do that but to me it seems that they prefer hiding behind the wall of texting, Facebook, tweeting etc. The sex thing, that’s a horse of a different color.

• Posted: 24 February 2011 10:23 AM #12

Facetime is now out of beta.

99 cents on the App Store (Mac)

Signature

Posted: 24 February 2011 10:28 AM #13

rattyuk - 24 February 2011 02:23 PM

Stupid move by Apple. FT will gain value the more users it has, and it is quite limited. Skype is far more widespread, even though it may be limited in many aspects. Charging for FT will kill it.

Signature

Tightwad.

• Posted: 24 February 2011 10:31 AM #14

awcabot - 24 February 2011 02:28 PM
    rattyuk - 24 February 2011 02:23 PM

Stupid move by Apple. FT will gain value the more users it has, and it is quite limited. Skype is far more widespread, even though it may be limited in many aspects. Charging for FT will kill it.

Nah it will come preinstalled on new machines probably…

Signature

Posted: 24 February 2011 10:46 AM #15

I’m a daily user of iSight.  With good friends or in work video conferencing, its great. 

With other people, text messages is fine.