Facetime Growth Accelerator

• Posted: 24 February 2011 10:48 AM #16

awcabot - 24 February 2011 02:28 PM
    rattyuk - 24 February 2011 02:23 PM

Facetime is now out of beta.

99 cents on the App Store (Mac)

Stupid move by Apple. FT will gain value the more users it has, and it is quite limited. Skype is far more widespread, even though it may be limited in many aspects. Charging for FT will kill it.

99 cents isn’t enough to kill anything.  I’ve had a tendency to agree with Chas about how ubiquitous this will become for many of the same reasons.  iChat was a bit different due to the requirement of having an aol account or a mac account just for starters.  There is one really powerful attribute that I tend to underestimate.  I’ll try to capture it this way.

My son (in Minneapolis) wanted to iChat with us a few nights ago.  We’re talking with him (from Key West) and I can see he’s distracted and typing from time to time.  I asked what he was doing and he replied that his sister was texting him.  I told him to put her on and reminded him that you could iChat with more than one person.  He invites her to video chat and magically the screen splits in two and Key West, Minneapolis and San Francisco are all connected.  Her face lit up like it was Christmas morning when she saw we were there too.  Later she posted this on her facebook page.

just did a full ******** get-together (Bill/****/***/*********) through through video iChat. Just awesome. smile

I don’t know where this will lead but I do know it’s really powerful technology and Apple is on the verge of getting it right.  (which means simple)

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 04 March 2011 09:39 AM #17

I heard IMCapture for Facetime ( imcapture.com)a good call recorder, anybody used it?

• Posted: 04 March 2011 10:47 AM #18

awcabot - 24 February 2011 02:28 PM
    rattyuk - 24 February 2011 02:23 PM

Facetime is now out of beta.

99 cents on the App Store (Mac)

Stupid move by Apple. FT will gain value the more users it has, and it is quite limited. Skype is far more widespread, even though it may be limited in many aspects. Charging for FT will kill it.

I live 4.5k miles from my kids. 99c is nothing.

Signature