The New MacBook Air as THE STEALTH PROJECT

• Posted: 27 October 2010 12:30 AM #16

Tetrachloride - 26 October 2010 01:34 AM

Sorry to rain on the parade.  The reviewers main complaint is the 11” is too small for extended typing (viewing the typing). 

It would behoove that reviewer to note that the MacBook Air 11” fits right in the product/price curve between the iPad and the MacBook Air 13”/MacBook Regular.

Looking forward to more anecdotal comments from purchasers.

Really? I got the impression that the 11” has the same size keyboard as all of Apple’s machines. Did I miss something?

Signature

• Posted: 27 October 2010 12:38 AM #17

This article argues that the MacBook Air can serve as one’s primary computer:

Last night John Gruber posted on Daring Fireball that he feels the MacBook Airs place in the Mac lineup is as a second computer for the 13? and a sort of iPad Pro for the 11? model. It is an interesting perspective and I was glad to read it, but I completely disagree with him. 1 I don?t think that Apple sees the MacBook Air as a ?secondary Mac? at all. In fact in light of the reviews and benchmarks coming out about the MacBook Air I would suggest ? actually I am gambling on ? the fact that a MacBook Air can and will be more than ample as an everyday, only Mac, machine.

http://brooksreview.net/2010/10/mba-fits/

[ Edited: 27 October 2010 02:14 AM by FalKirk ]      
  • Posted: 27 October 2010 12:42 AM #18

rattyuk - 27 October 2010 03:30 AM

Sorry to rain on the parade.  The reviewers main complaint is the 11” is too small for extended typing (viewing the typing). 

It would behoove that reviewer to note that the MacBook Air 11” fits right in the product/price curve between the iPad and the MacBook Air 13”/MacBook Regular.

Really? I got the impression that the 11” has the same size keyboard as all of Apple’s machines. Did I miss something?

The 11” DOES have a standard size keyboard. I read that review and found it puzzling too.

• Posted: 27 October 2010 01:17 AM #19

FalKirk - 27 October 2010 03:42 AM
    rattyuk - 27 October 2010 03:30 AM

The 11” DOES have a standard size keyboard. I read that review and found it puzzling too.

The function keys on the top row are scaled-down to fit the smaller size of the 11”

• Posted: 27 October 2010 01:20 AM #20

adamthompson3232 - 27 October 2010 04:07 AM

Looks like the 11” is selling really well.

http://www.9to5mac.com/32439/999-macbook-air-stocks-drying-up

The 11” is too small for my mitts.  Plus, it’s been awhile since I purchased a notebook running at 1.4GHz.  For me, the 13” is the sweet spot of mobile computing.

• Posted: 27 October 2010 02:08 AM #21

adamthompson3232 - 27 October 2010 04:07 AM

Looks like the 11” is selling really well.

http://www.9to5mac.com/32439/999-macbook-air-stocks-drying-up

Is it known how many of the 11” vs. the 13” Apple placed into production?

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 27 October 2010 02:14 AM #22

I ventured out into the hurricane gale force winds we’re experiencing here tonight and had a look at the new Airs.  Fast and solid as a rock.  Apple is soooo good at this.  It must be pretty humbling working for a Dell or HP.  It continues to befuddle me just a bit that there are still those that speak about Macs as if they’re toys.  I’m guilty myself on the other side I guess.  When I pick up most of the competing plastic products I immediately think of Fisher Price unless it’s a Think Pad.  They make me think of Tonka Trucks.  smile

Signature

I don’t mind being wrong…,I just hate being wrong so FAST!

• Posted: 27 October 2010 10:04 AM #23

We have an 11 inch Air, and the keyboard is exactly the same size as the one supplied with iMacs these days, except that the f-key top row is half height. But if you have pudgy fingers, you can just press the top instead of the middle, since there’s nothing above.

We also have a 27 inch iMac, and the 11” Air drives the screen perfectly, including playing video at full screen in my limited testing.

It’s pretty much perfect IMO for anyone that doesn’t require ultimate CPU horsepower or connectivity on the go. That includes most students and managers. Even big storage capacity is more convenient in an external USB drive, since you can just plug into a desktop for video editing etc.

The only thing we feel the need of is a slot for SD cards from digital cameras. So there would be nothing else to carry apart from camera and Air.

Every time you pick it up and use it, you can’t help thinking - this is so nice and natural to use compared to even a 13 inch macbook pro.

• Posted: 27 October 2010 05:23 PM #24

sleepygeek - 27 October 2010 01:04 PM

[...]

The only thing we feel the need of is a slot for SD cards from digital cameras. So there would be nothing else to carry apart from camera and Air.

[...]

I’d like a slot for my camera card too, but a CF slot.  And therein, I think, lies the reason there is no slot at all:  Either slot would fail to serve some of us.

Posted: 27 October 2010 05:39 PM #25

According to Techcrunch:

Goodbye, MacBook Pro. The New MacBook Air Is That Good

I know that sounds outrageous. Or like hyperbole. But it?s not. When I wrote up my initial thoughts, it was after only a few hours of usage. I hadn?t even used it outside the house yet. But now I have. I?ve used it almost everywhere I?ve been for just about a week now. There?s no question in my mind that this has replaced my MacBook Pro as my go-to machine.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 27 October 2010 05:52 PM #26

incorrigible - 27 October 2010 08:39 PM

According to Techcrunch:

Goodbye, MacBook Pro. The New MacBook Air Is That Good

I know that sounds outrageous. Or like hyperbole. But it?s not. When I wrote up my initial thoughts, it was after only a few hours of usage. I hadn?t even used it outside the house yet. But now I have. I?ve used it almost everywhere I?ve been for just about a week now. There?s no question in my mind that this has replaced my MacBook Pro as my go-to machine.

Thanks for the link. More from that same article.

There is one thing holding back the Air: storage space. Thanks largely to Apple themselves, we live in a world where we have digital music, photos, movies, and TV shows that take up dozens, if not hundreds of gigabytes of storage. Because of this, a 128 GB hard drive isn?t enough for many people these days if they?re going to be using the Air as their primary machine. Increasingly, even 256 GB isn?t enough. Hell, I?m nearing 1 TB of media on my iMac.

But. We all know that Apple has aspirations to move all of this media to the cloud. If they can do that and cut the chains around these machines, they?re going to fly. Off the shelves. In a hurry.

Here?s how I see it: if storage didn?t matter, I think this 13-inch MacBook Air would almost immediately be Apple?s best-selling Mac. It?s that good.

Posted: 27 October 2010 05:56 PM #27

Can you say “NC Data Center”?  :wink:

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 27 October 2010 08:14 PM #28

I’m using my new MacBook Air/13”/4G/128SSD right now, arrived today, and all I can say is WOW { and I was using a version A upgraded with a blazing fast RunCore SSD as an upgrade } before.

From that article on TECHCRUNCH here is the “Money Quote.”

It?s funny that I haven?t really even talked about the size of the machine yet ? that?s the glittering lure that ropes people in. But the Air has always had that. What it didn?t have previously was a great price and killer performance. Now it does. Just in the past six days, five people that I?ve showed this thing to have already bought one. That?s the stuff iPhones and iPads are made of. It has the ?wow? factor.

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

Posted: 27 October 2010 09:23 PM #29

No illuminated keyboard is disappointing. Still, must check out the 11” Netbook For The Rest of Us (tm) in person.

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

• Posted: 27 October 2010 09:39 PM #30

TanToday - 27 October 2010 11:14 PM

I’m using my new MacBook Air/13”/4G/128SSD right now, arrived today, and all I can say is WOW….

My original thought was that the Air was a great second computer - a great complement to a desktop computer. But now I’ve seen several people talking about it as their primary computer. The downside to that, as I see it, is lack of storage, less processing power, optical drive, and, eh, something else that is slipping my mind.

Now that you’ve used one, what are your thoughts? Secondary or could it reasonably be used as a primary machine? The question is not academic. I’m thinking about buying a MacBook or an Air.