The New MacBook Air as THE STEALTH PROJECT

• Posted: 27 October 2010 10:33 PM #31

From what I’ve read in the MacBook Air reviews, the 13” Air is the equal of the MacBook Pro in net processing speed because of better use of GPU resources and the higher access rate of the SSD vs. that of the Pro’s hard drive—all of which compensate for the GHz difference.

[ Edited: 27 October 2010 10:37 PM by Hannibal ]      

Posted: 28 October 2010 10:21 AM #32

FalKirk - 28 October 2010 12:39 AM
    TanToday - 27 October 2010 11:14 PM

I’m using my new MacBook Air/13”/4G/128SSD right now, arrived today, and all I can say is WOW….

My original thought was that the Air was a great second computer - a great complement to a desktop computer. But now I’ve seen several people talking about it as their primary computer. The downside to that, as I see it, is lack of storage, less processing power, optical drive, and, eh, something else that is slipping my mind.

Now that you’ve used one, what are your thoughts? Secondary or could it reasonably be used as a primary machine? The question is not academic. I’m thinking about buying a MacBook or an Air.

I’ve actually “been using an Air” for over two years. The new one for two days. Keep in mind, I’m sort of maxed out on Apple products, I figure the company pays for all “my toys” nicely with my shares and their appreciation. Just to establish my credentials to have opinions on these products, I’ve owned the original Aluminum iMac 24” from day one, have a new super high end maxed out 27” iMac about five weeks old, all the iPods from generation 2 to the newest, the newest iMac Pro 13” and three AirPort expresses and one high end Time Capsule. Not bragging, just laying down my bona-fides for comparison purposes.

One, storage is a joke, ALL storage is a joke actually, with the price of external USB units almost free these days, you can get a tiny little external drive

AND, if you are not completely clueless, you can use the AIRPORT to wirelessly store your music, etc on the TimeCapsule OR plug in another drive USB into the TC and you have essentially unlimited storage!

You gotta get “with the plan” here, storing all this stuff ON your actual machine, is so old fashioned…grin smile

And for those RARE times when you need a DVD drive, buy one of the externals, that cost around $90 bucks, and sever your need to always lug that around when you don’t actually need it.

As for traveling movies, just use RIPIT and put them on a flashdrive, and take three or four or more with you when traveling.

One needs to understand that MOST of that stuff on your hard drive, is just added unused baggage 99% of the time.

OH, forgot…..

... one neat’o little utility is XSLIMMER, this will rip out all the “garbage” like foreign language files, from all your applications, most don’t know this, buy you can SLIM DOWN your files by an average of 30% some as high as 50% and still have 100% functionality.

Check it out HERE:-> http://www.xslimmer.com/

[ Edited: 28 October 2010 10:32 AM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 28 October 2010 01:09 PM #33

TanToday - 28 October 2010 01:21 PM

Just to establish my credentials to have opinions on these products, I’ve owned the original Aluminum iMac 24” from day one, have a new super high end maxed out 27” iMac about five weeks old, all the iPods from generation 2 to the newest, the newest iMac Pro 13” and three AirPort expresses and one high end Time Capsule. Not bragging, just laying down my bona-fides for comparison purposes.

Thank you for your thoughts. Just to establish my credentials, I bought the original 128k (yes, that’s a k for kilobytes) Mac in 1985. I couldn’t afford it when it came out in 1984, so I had to wait until the new “Fat Mac” with 512k of memory became available in 1985. I think I paid $2,000 for it. So I’m entitled to be a little behind the times at times.  grin

Posted: 28 October 2010 01:22 PM #34

Apple’s best quality is designing and selling only the features that consumers actually need.  I played around with both the 11” and 13” Air over the weekend, and am convinced that these machines are all the computer that most people need, at least in a laptop.  I think Apple is going to sell truckloads of them this holiday season.  You really have to see them in person to “get it”.

Posted: 28 October 2010 01:23 PM #35

FalKirk - 28 October 2010 04:09 PM
    TanToday - 28 October 2010 01:21 PM

Just to establish my credentials to have opinions on these products, I’ve owned the original Aluminum iMac 24” from day one, have a new super high end maxed out 27” iMac about five weeks old, all the iPods from generation 2 to the newest, the newest iMac Pro 13” and three AirPort expresses and one high end Time Capsule. Not bragging, just laying down my bona-fides for comparison purposes.

Thank you for your thoughts. Just to establish my credentials, I bought the original 128k (yes, that’s a k for kilobytes) Mac in 1985. I couldn’t afford it when it came out in 1984, so I had to wait until the new “Fat Mac” with 512k of memory became available in 1985. I think I paid $2,000 for it. So I’m entitled to be a little behind the times at times.  grin

You were there with me then {another old fart I presume?}, I started off with an APPLE II+.

Had a III, then moved off to WinDoze only came back with the first MacBook Titanium, I think that was in 2001, which by the way STILL WORKS and actually runs most programs today just fine, how many WinDozers can say that?

[ Edited: 28 October 2010 01:26 PM by TanToday ]

Signature

“Even in the worst of times, someone turns a profit. . ” —#162 Ferengi: Rules of Acquisition

• Posted: 28 October 2010 05:38 PM #36

dc930 - 28 October 2010 04:22 PM

I played around with both the 11” and 13” Air over the weekend, and am convinced that these machines are all the computer that most people need, at least in a laptop.

The debate goes on. On a long drive, I listened to “The Talk Show” and “MacBreak Weekly” podcasts. There’s a consensus that the Air is the future, but no consensus as to whether it plays the role of the primary or secondary computer. I think that at some point Apple is going to do more to distinguish the MacBook from the Air (including the possibility that they will end the MacBook altogether.)

dc930 - 28 October 2010 04:22 PM

I think Apple is going to sell truckloads of them this holiday season.

Agreed.

Posted: 29 October 2010 12:22 AM #37

TanToday - 26 October 2010 01:27 AM

Since I have a few iPads, and a new high end iMac along with the most recent 13” MacBook Pro, and the new MacMini ...

Are you in the market for an adopted uncle?  tongue laugh

I started with an Apple //c in late 1984, kept it until I got, first, a PowerBook 100 in 1992, then a Centris 660AV in 1993. After a time with a Power Computing clone, I got the first (in the first month, no less) “basketball” 15” iMac, a dual USB white iBook,  but I’ve been stuck with a 20” iMac G4 and 12” PowerBook G4 since 2004-2005. I recently got (but haven’t set up) a 2007 20” iMac (didn’t want a much newer one with Snow Leopard, as the PowerBook is limited to 10.5).

You’re right about external storage. I have a 500 GB LaCie portable drive. It’s bus-powered (fine on FireWire, but takes two USB ports), 5"x3-1/4"x11/16”—about the size of the PowerBook’s battery, though much lighter.

[ Edited: 29 October 2010 12:32 AM by gslusher ]      
  • Posted: 29 October 2010 12:57 AM #38

Apple II+ - 28 October 2010 12:23 AM

No illuminated keyboard is disappointing. Still, must check out the 11” Netbook For The Rest of Us (tm) in person.

After struggling with migration assistant (using USB/Ethernet adaptors), I got my new 2.13 machine up and running.  I was forced to backup the old MBA with Time Machine to an external drive.  Only then did Migration Assistant work—USB/Ethernet connection is iffy.

The new MBA is fast (half the boot-up time).  Battery is much improved.  Screen resolution is better (increasing effective screen real estate).  Love the new 256GB capacity (video files of Sponge and Mark won’t be worthy on the MBA, but what the hey—no offense to you duffers… :-D   The aesthetics are perfect, right down to the new, robust screen hinge.  The USB ports will now accommodate a USB dongle (good riddance to the old drop-down door).

The lack of an illuminated keyboard was a mild, unwelcome surprise.  I miss it.  Bring it back!

Posted: 29 October 2010 02:29 PM #39

MBA is so sexy that my wife wants to replace her MacBook with a MBA.  I prefer the 13” but she likes the 11”.  Haven’t been to an Apple store to check out the real :apple: thing.  Anyone here bought an 11” MBA?

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 29 October 2010 02:36 PM #40

We’ll all see the Jobs vision for the new MBA once the Mac App Store and NC are online.  Until then, it’s a dang sexy machine with a couple of question marks over viability as a primary computer.  I for one think those questions will be answered “within 90 days” or so…

Anyone else remember the “Back to my Mac” OS X feature of a few years ago, a first effort at personal data synchronisation between CPU’s that never quite made the cut?  I have a sneaking suspicion Apple kept beavering away at that one ever since and we’ll see the fruits of their labours very soon.

Posted: 29 October 2010 03:56 PM #41

TanToday - 28 October 2010 04:23 PM

I started off with an APPLE II+.

:valentine: bless you :valentine:

Signature

The only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. — Steve Jobs

Posted: 10 November 2010 09:39 AM #42

Received 13” 2.13 MBA yesterday. With the help of a portable FW800/USB2 HD, I was fully migrated from a 2-year old 15” MBP in about 2 hours.

This thing is very fast and can serve just about anybody well as a primary computer - first impressions are very favorable - this thing is extremely portable compared to the MBP. I feel no letdown going to a smaller screen with the same resolution.

Did I mention that the display is beautiful?

Today I’m putting the MBA through its paces at a meeting in Nawlins. It is very nice traveling with a laptop that does not weigh me down.

• Posted: 10 November 2010 12:51 PM #43

jpashin - 10 November 2010 01:39 PM

Today I’m putting the MBA through its paces at a meeting in Nawlins. It is very nice traveling with a laptop that does not weigh me down.

I’m enjoying reading about your first hand experiences with the MacBook Air. I hope you will continue to post your thoughts as you learn more about your newest purchase.

Posted: 13 November 2010 03:08 PM #44

Having put the MBA through its paces, I can safely say that I find very few areas in which it underperforms the late 2008 MBP it replaces.

Just a couple of quibbles:

An on-board 3G option would be nice - the meeting room at the Hilton Riverside had no wifi (that’s a pretty swanky hotel to lack wifi in a meeting room). It’s a good thing I had an iPad with me.

Where there is wifi, the range is not as good as the old MBP. It must use the exact same antenna and chipset as the iPad, because its wifi performance is identical.

Battery life under heavy usage is certainly less than 7.5 hours, but that is what I get for biting on the extra processor speed. It looks like 5 hours is a reasonable real-world expectation for the 2.13 Ghz unit.

The fan is audible and runs hard when the unit is pushed. However, the aluminum body gets no more than slightly warm.

And now for the really great:

This thing is a joy to carry around. Carrying it with the iPad in a sleevecase was a cinch. I experienced no shoulder fatigue and never once felt weighed down. Going through a lunch line and conversing during coffee breaks was no problem - both hands were free, and I never felt like the strap was going to slide off.

It’s quite a chick magnet, too - if only I were younger and single…  smile
    Oh, who am I kidding - they were much more interested in the Mac than me.

It was clear that Apple was showing us the future when the MBA was announced. My guess is that this will be the dominant form factor for Apple notebooks within two years. Only those with a real need for a bleeding-edge video card, a built-in optical drive, and a massive hard drive should opt for a more traditional laptop at this point.

For those who run through airports and attend lots of meetings, the new MBA is a no-brainer.

Anecdotally, Apple appears to be selling a lot of these - I never used to see MBAs in the wild, but I saw three of the new ones in use around the hotel.

[ Edited: 13 November 2010 03:11 PM by jpashin ]      
  • Posted: 13 November 2010 08:30 PM #45

Changing the subject slightly…

The new MacBook Air commercial:

http://www.apple.com/macbookair/#video-ad

Which has been running quite a bit on TV recently has the following copy:

Everything we’ve learned has come down to this.
    The next generation of MacBooks.

I think the Macbook has gone away. Everything at the bottom end portable is now going to be a MacBook Air. Apple may keep the plastic Mac for schools and such but “The next generation of MacBook” sound pretty much conclusive to me.

Signature