iPhone 4 w/o computer

Posted: 30 October 2010 03:38 PM

Here’s the situation: I have 4 cell phones (mine, spouse, 2 kids) and get a 20% discount from Verizon through my employer. The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon, if I understand correctly. I want to get a few iPhones but don’t want to upgrade to 10.5.8 (G5 iMac running 10.4.11) Will my iPhone work just fine without a computer, or do I NEED a computer.

Posted: 01 November 2010 12:57 PM #1

To my knowledge, you need iTunes to do system updates and phone activation. If there is an Apple store near you, check if they’ll do it for you.

You’ll probably ant a MobileMe account to ensure your contacts and e-mail messages are backed up though.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 02 November 2010 02:25 AM #2

Thanks for your input. I have the required version of iTunes and an iTunes account. Maybe I’ll break down and upgrade to 10.5.8 and not have to worry about things not working right. I have everything backed up, and if things don’t work as expected I could always downgrade to 10.4 again. Thanks again!

Posted: 02 November 2010 09:51 AM #3

Load 10.5.8 on an external drive and only boot from it when you need to do something with the phone? Kludgy, but would solve your concerns.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 02 November 2010 11:38 AM #4

BWilcox - 02 November 2010 05:25 AM

Thanks for your input. I have the required version of iTunes and an iTunes account.

Then that’s all you need. smile

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 02 November 2010 03:06 PM #5

Thanks both of you smile

I think I like the kludgy solution!