iPhone 4 w/o computer

Posted: 30 October 2010 03:38 PM

Here’s the situation: I have 4 cell phones (mine, spouse, 2 kids) and get a 20% discount from Verizon through my employer. The iPhone is finally coming to Verizon, if I understand correctly. I want to get a few iPhones but don’t want to upgrade to 10.5.8 (G5 iMac running 10.4.11) Will my iPhone work just fine without a computer, or do I NEED a computer.

Posted: 01 November 2010 12:57 PM #1

To my knowledge, you need iTunes to do system updates and phone activation. If there is an Apple store near you, check if they’ll do it for you.

You’ll probably ant a MobileMe account to ensure your contacts and e-mail messages are backed up though.

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 02 November 2010 02:25 AM #2

Thanks for your input. I have the required version of iTunes and an iTunes account. Maybe I’ll break down and upgrade to 10.5.8 and not have to worry about things not working right. I have everything backed up, and if things don’t work as expected I could always downgrade to 10.4 again. Thanks again!

Posted: 02 November 2010 09:51 AM #3

Load 10.5.8 on an external drive and only boot from it when you need to do something with the phone? Kludgy, but would solve your concerns.

Posted: 02 November 2010 11:38 AM #4

BWilcox - 02 November 2010 05:25 AM

Thanks for your input. I have the required version of iTunes and an iTunes account.

Then that’s all you need. smile

Signature

-Jon Roth

Instant Philosopher; Just add hot topic and stir.

Posted: 02 November 2010 03:06 PM #5

Thanks both of you smile

I think I like the kludgy solution!