iPad Rotation Lock Change: Does it Matter?

Poll: iPad Rotation Lock Change: Does it Matter?
Total Votes: 26
The alert mute switch will be more useful to me.
I hate to see the screen rotation lock switch go.
It doesn’t matter to me.
Apple should give us a switch function preference.

Posted: 03 November 2010 11:49 AM

When iOS 4.2 is released, iPad owners will see their hardware screen rotation lock switch changed to an alert mute switch. What do you think of the change?

Posted: 03 November 2010 12:02 PM #1

The change makes no sense to me. You can easily mute by holding down the lower volume button.

Signature

Mac switchers see my profile for switching help…

Posted: 03 November 2010 12:39 PM #2

I think that the rotation lock is a cool feature, but it’s not really a huge deal. It’s silly how often everybody thinks that Apple is doing something for no reason, too. I’m betting that the reason that they’re eliminating the rotation lock is that too many ‘inexperienced’ iPad users pushed it without realizing it, and without knowing what it is or thinking that it serves the same purpose as the one on their iPhone, and ended up bugging Apple about what was wrong with their iPad.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

• Posted: 03 November 2010 01:10 PM #3

I just voted to give us a choice, but I am going to play Devil’s Advocate about why a Mute switch might be good.

There have been on numerous occasions, situations where I wanted to discreetly mute my iPad so that alerts (eg. Mail) would not disrupt the room. The only alternative was to open the cover, turn it on and then pull the volume down. Not a huge task, but if I am in conversation and want it silenced, it is very distracting the the individual(s) I am conversing with, especially in a business environment.

Just my 2 cents.

Posted: 03 November 2010 01:51 PM #4

dmuzzy: You can already quickly mute an iPad by holding down the volume rocker switch for a couple of seconds.

Signature

Just remember one thing….

Posted: 03 November 2010 02:56 PM #5

Jeff Gamet - 03 November 2010 02:49 PM

When iOS 4.2 is released, iPad owners will see their hardware screen rotation lock switch changed to an alert mute switch. What do you think of the change?

I voted in favor of the change. Anything that causes Apple customers to see that Apple doesn’t give a crap what they think is good in my book. It’s Steve’s party, and he’ll change things if he wants to.

• Posted: 03 November 2010 03:42 PM #6

Hello MOSiX,

Yes, but that requires the iPad to be unlocked. If I am in the middle of a small meeting, or conversation, it would be nice to be able to discreetly mute the sound without bothering to flip the cover open, unlock the iPad and pull the sound down.

I know its really not a big deal, but it bugs me, when I’m talking with someone and they start fiddling with their devices, even if it is to mute sound. So I’d prefer not to do it to other people myself.

my 2cents.

• Posted: 09 November 2010 11:53 PM #7

It doesn’t matter to me. I keep my screen locked in landscape mode 90% of the time so I don’t often have any reason to unlock it.

• Posted: 17 November 2010 01:58 PM #8

MOSiX Man - 03 November 2010 04:51 PM

dmuzzy: You can already quickly mute an iPad by holding down the volume rocker switch for a couple of seconds.

Actually, it’s not the same. The rocker switch mutes everything, and you have to have the iPad unlocked for it to work (unless you are already playing music while it’s sleeping, of course).  The new Notification mute switch only mutes system notifications and alerts. If you are watching a movie, just flip the switch and your movie sound won’t be interrupted with twitter updates, E-mail notifications, etc..

It will work the same way as the iPhone.

Just a simple double-tap and a swipe, and you’re at the rotation lock button. To use the new Mute Switch you don’t have to unlock the device to disable notifications alerts. And there is also no reason to use the rotation lock when you are not using the device.

• Posted: 20 November 2010 12:02 AM #9

Didn’t it start out life as a mute switch or something else?  I thought I remember that they gave it screen lock functionality just before product release.  And since they seem to be changing it’s functionality with firmware, it should be easy to make it a setting…

• Posted: 11 December 2010 06:11 AM #10

There are a few good reasons for it.

First, the rocker buttons and the mute switch does NOT do the same thing. The rocker switch mutes everything, and you have to have the iPad unlocked for it to work (unless you are already playing music while it?s sleeping, of course).

The new Notification mute switch only mutes system notifications and alerts. If you are watching a movie, just flip the switch and your movie sound won?t be interrupted with twitter updates, E-mail notifications, etc..

Just a simple double-tap and a swipe, and you?re at the rotation lock button. To use the new Mute Switch you don?t have to unlock the device to disable notifications alerts.

Also, there is also no reason to use the rotation lock when you are not using the device. But there are plenty of times you may want notifications to be turned off (meetings for example).

And, it will work the same way as the iPhone.

• Posted: 11 December 2010 10:58 AM #11

I’d lo ve a hardware rotation lock button on my iPhone. Being a smaller device it seems to flicker between orientations more inadvertently. I also find that I utilise both orientations on my iPad more, so I don’t know I’d use it as much.

Signature

-Matt Cox / Mac Technician / Matt on Twitter