iOS 4.2, and the iPad

Posted: 03 November 2010 02:15 PM

Seems Apple is changing the orientation lock switch function and people aren’t happy about it (I wouldn’t like it either):

iPad Owners FURIOUS That Apple Is Turning The Screen-Lock Switch Into A Mute Button

The specific thing that’s making people upset is Apple’s decision to change the iPad’s screen-orientation lock switch—on the right side of the device, above the volume up/down button—into a volume-mute switch.

This makes the iPad’s hardware button functions consistent with the iPhone’s, but seems like a dumb move on Apple’s part.

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

• Posted: 03 November 2010 03:55 PM #1

There’s still an orientation lock, but its in software rather than a physical switch. Double pressing the home button and swiping left past the running apps and the media controls takes you to it fairly quickly, compared to buring it in the Setting.

• Posted: 03 November 2010 04:21 PM #2

willrob - 03 November 2010 06:55 PM

There’s still an orientation lock, but its in software rather than a physical switch. Double pressing the home button and swiping left past the running apps and the media controls takes you to it fairly quickly, compared to buring it in the Setting.

You can see it at the left side of this screen, besides the brightness control:

The button to the left of the volume-controls lets you select the AirPlay Reciever.

• Posted: 03 November 2010 05:13 PM #3

willrob - 03 November 2010 06:55 PM

Actually it is a swipe right. But the principal is the same. I wonder why NOBODY bothered posting this information. (It’s taken me a day to install it - I had to back it up and then faff about with it because this is a NEW iMac and I didn’t want to lose any data - the old iMac’s drive died over the weekend and I didn’t want to lose anything)

Actually the physical button is now replicating functionality of the volume controls and restoring the original design function of the switch. I do hope that this was not the only reason for keeping iOS 4 off the iPad. But it’s going to be pretty awesome when it hits the street.

[ Edited: 03 November 2010 05:15 PM by John Molloy ]

Signature

Posted: 03 November 2010 05:55 PM #4

Only released to developers.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

Posted: 03 November 2010 06:04 PM #5

I sure hope they reconsider and allow the user to choose the purpose of the switch in the Settings.  I use that orientation lock switch daily, depending on what I am doing at the time.  There is no reason for a dedicated mute switch, because if you want to mute the iPad, all you have to do is hold the volume down button for a half second, and the volume drops to zero.

A dedicated mute switch is perfect for phones (i also use it daily on my iPhone), but does not make sense on the iPad.

• Posted: 03 November 2010 09:36 PM #6

Guess I am in the minority, but I like the change.

• Posted: 03 November 2010 10:21 PM #7

Lstream - 04 November 2010 12:36 AM

Guess I am in the minority, but I like the change.

Yup. It works fine. Storm in a teacup and a hit whore piece by Dan Frommer.

Signature

• Posted: 04 November 2010 08:54 AM #8

anybody knows when 4.2 will be released to normal users?

• Posted: 04 November 2010 09:27 AM #9

petertje - 04 November 2010 11:54 AM

Jobs said November, but a final release date has not yet been announced.

rattyuk - 04 November 2010 01:21 AM

Storm in a teacup and a hit whore piece by Dan Frommer.

I think the phrase is “tempest in a teacup.” But I totally agree with your sentiments.

• Posted: 04 November 2010 09:53 AM #10

FalKirk - 04 November 2010 12:27 PM
    petertje - 04 November 2010 11:54 AM

Jobs said November, but a final release date has not yet been announced.

But the dev release this week was GM so it could be good to go anytime… I’d look for an iTunes - the application - update as a clue - it requires a new version of iTunes.

Signature

Posted: 04 November 2010 11:43 AM #11

I think the phrase is “tempest in a teacup.” But I totally agree with your sentiments.

He is from UK.  Refer to this:

Tempest in a teapot (American), storm in a teacup (British).

Btw, tempest in a teacup is your invented phrase :evil:.

Signature

• Posted: 04 November 2010 12:34 PM #12

Mace - 04 November 2010 02:43 PM

He is from UK.  Refer to this:

Tempest in a teapot (American), storm in a teacup (British).

Btw, tempest in a teacup is your invented phrase :evil:.

Ha! Well done. I thought he just mixed up his idioms, but I see that it was I who was being ignorant.

• Posted: 04 November 2010 12:38 PM #13

FalKirk - 04 November 2010 03:34 PM

Ha! Well done. I thought he just mixed up his idioms, but I see that it was I who was being ignorant.

Problem with idioms is if they are burned into the back of your brain you go with what you know - just a blindness on my part that there was a US version…

Signature

Posted: 04 November 2010 12:52 PM #14

And we all gain in our international cultural knowledge.  Fine by me.  No harm, no foul.  Non-US members can look that one up. smile

Signature

“Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.”
    - Jimi Hendrix

Posted: 04 November 2010 01:44 PM #15

Wikipedia listed 23 languages that have similar phrase.  These phrases contain words like storm, glass and water.  Chinese version is not listed because instead of storm, it has a snake rolleyes, a snake in the wine.

Signature