How to get back into stocks without getting burned

Posted: 05 November 2010 02:26 AM

How to get back into stocks without getting burned?.  Just another asset allocation proposal :oops:.

Signature

Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.  - Steve Jobs

• Posted: 05 November 2010 11:33 AM #1

How about: Buy low, sell high. It’s worked for decades.  :wink:

Seriously, most brokerage accounts today come with serious screeners to assist small investors in choosing investments that match their interests, goals and risk thresholds. I find them useful.

Posted: 05 November 2010 01:30 PM #2

DawnTreader - 05 November 2010 02:33 PM

... Seriously, most brokerage accounts today come with serious screeners to assist small investors in choosing investments that match their interests, goals and risk thresholds. I find them useful.

Aware of such screeners long ago but yet to use them because have only one stock so didn’t bother.  Is about time for laggards like me to explore how to use screeners.  I was looking for tips on whether I should readjust current allocation:

AAPL = 55%
    RE =35%
    Cash =10%

Should I deploy cash or sell some AAPLs to buy RE?  In USA or overseas?  Deploy cash to buy more AAPLs or commodities stocks?  Sell AAPLs and buy commodities stocks?

Decision: Status quo.

[ Edited: 05 November 2010 01:36 PM by Mace ]

Signature

Posted: 05 November 2010 01:44 PM #3

Mace, I know I am going to get blasted for saying this, but you need cash reserves at all times. You just never know. Mace, you have no debt and three houses that are paid for, I can’t give you any advice. I just want to house sit for you, rent free of course.  :-D

Signature

Adversity does not just build character, it reveals it.

Posted: 05 November 2010 02:19 PM #4

mbeauch - 05 November 2010 04:44 PM

... you need cash reserves at all times ...

What is your cash reserve?

Signature